• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RT-524 Radio Installation & Setup...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HOLY DEAD THREAD REVIVAL BATMAN!

I don't know if the audio freqs for TV stations are still valid. A couple years back analog broadcast TV went out the window with FCC changes, everything is digital now. I believe the FCC auctioned the freqs off for more $$$ to another user. I don't think you can still get TV signals by putting an antenna on your roof of your house or car anymore....

Billy Bobbed

I was wondering if anyone knows of any freqs I can tune in on.I have been trying to find anything to hear nothing yet,wearing out the knobs.Army radio says their is over 920 channels on the 524 and 442 aua.Just want to see if the 2 radios are working,no one around here has a radio.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try using 49.85 Mhz and listen. It's a frequency that in-home stereo wireless headphones, baby monitors, etc use. At least one of my neighbors has one, as I can hear them Lima-Charley with even the little short antenna on the PRC-77. YMMV.

papakb

Radio frequencies

Gentlemen,

The radio frequencies posted here 59.75, 61.75, and 71.75 were the frequencies we used to use to check the receivers in the VRC-12 series of radio all the time. When the FCC moved everything to digital braodcasting a few years back these frequencies became useless to us because these radios are wide band analog FM sets and don't see the digital signals.

Here in Ca the Highway Patrol still uses VHF frequencies for their cars. Here's a link to a page with listings for them:

http://www.freqofnature.com/frequencies/ca/chp.html

I got this by Googling "chp radio frequencies". Try the same thing in your area and see what comes up. The VRC-12 radios (R-442, RT-246, RT-524, PRC-25/77) all tune in 50Kc increments. That means they receive on frequencies that end in .00, .05, .10, .15, etc. Most of the CHP freqs aren't exact matches but because these are wideband sets they'll usually pick up stuff that's close ie: if the freq ends in .94 you can usually get it by tuning .95 on your radio. Here in the Bay Area the CHP uses 42.50.

Depending on where you live sometimes you can find taxi and wrecker services still using the frequencies in the 30 - 52 Mhz band. Mike's correct that most Baby Monitors and older cordless phones worked in the 49Mhz region and can be received if they're close enough. As a suggestion, stay off the high band and NEVER transmit on the frequencies mentioned above. Even though you can't receive them you can still screw up TV in your area by transmitting on these freqs.

As to legalitites, operating these radios in receive mode doesn't require any special permission or licensing. Transmitting does, and even with an amateur radio license there are only certain segments of the 30 - 75Mhz band that can be used. The majority of the radio world uses narrow band radios and these are wide band sets. Even with a proper license for use of the band the wide band sets can interfere with narrow band sets. Always remember that the fewer people you tick off the fewer complaints that get made. If you use your radios, keep them on the lower band and keep the 246's and 524's in low power mode. The 25s and 77s are already low power sets (<3 watts).

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks