• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803a auto frequency controller!

Glockfan

Some of you have followed my thread showing how I permanently installed my 803 as a whole house backup generator. Now that my project is nearly complete, I have began another quest to replace the manual frequency control cable with an electromechanical means of auto regulating the frequency with variable loads.

Of course, I have help with this. Actually, Peter Albrecht from Inova High Tech has taken on the project and has begun development. I will be happy to provide install pics and the results of my testing once Peter has the system fully developed and I have installed it.

I am debating on installing one of his remote start kits on my 803 and eventually installing a full auto transfer switch later down the road. If any of you are interested in doing the same frequency controller, I am sure Peter will be glad to help you. I know he presently sells remote starts for the 002 and the 003 as well as the 802 and the 803. Maybe others, I'm not sure but if you are interested, search for Inova High Tech and reach out to him.

Glockfan

I know there will be some type of actuator that replaces the frequency adjustment cable. Maybe Peter will see this thread and chime in to answer any technical questions.

mrheiser

Awesome setup Glockfan! Saw your home install thread and am now adopting your ideas for my own home setup. Regarding the electronic governor, I know there is a company called Woodward and they offer governors and control systems for diesel engines but I'm not sure if any of their products would work for this particular application. I am going to be in contact with them next week to find out. Haven't been able to get a hold of Peter Albrecht over at Inova High Tech. I've been trying to get more details on his autostart circuit boards for my MEP-803A.

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were you ever able to get this going? I have a 802 and Peter's remote start kit and an automatic transfer switch.

I'm currently running a 003 beast for my house, but plan to switch to the 802 (or maybe a 803 if I get lucky). But I have noticed on the 802, going from no load to about 4500W load, the frequency drops from 60 hz down to 57hz. The 003 is not nearly that bad, maybe 1hz if that.

Would love a servo arm adjuster to replace that manual cable!

Glockfan

I need to get with Peter and see if he wants to rekindle the project. I've got about $500 of my money wrapped up in his prototype. I need to see if we could finish this. Thanks for the reminder! How does your remote start work? I've thought about getting one from him and converting over to an auto transfer switch.

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I think it would be very cool to get that going! Sounds like you're all in with that $500!

I haven't actually gotten around to installing my remote start controller yet. I've been torn if I should install it on my 003, or my 802 (once I get it going, which is getting very close now).

It sure looks pretty though and comes with everything needed for a neat install, even a drill template.

MEP00x-80x remote start.jpg
http://www.cstone.net/~dk/MEP00x-80x remote start.JPG

TooMuchWork

But I have noticed on the 802, going from no load to about 4500W load, the frequency drops from 60 hz down to 57hz. Would love a servo arm adjuster to replace that manual cable!
The frequency drop shouldn't be that much with a 4500 watt load unless the engine wasn't up to temp. The procedure for adjusting the droop of the mechanical governor is in the tech manual and is the same for the 802 and 803. I'm somehow only getting a 2hz drop (from 61.5 to 59.5) with a 30amp 240v load testing the overload circuitry of the 802.

Glockfan

Germans are very thorough that's for sure! Looks nice! I'm sure it will work flawlessly as Peter has his act together. I guess the delay with the frequency controller is mostly on my end. I'll reach out to him and see if he has time to get the ball rolling on it again. I know at least two folks who would want one for their unit...

TooMuchWork

@Glockfan Add me to that list please. While I'm not complaining about a 2hz frequency drop on a mechanical governed 802, being able to throw 16.5kw on an 804 and barely see the frequency needle move was amazing. If I may ask, is the project that you and Peter working on include the controller and actuator being built by Peter or just one component with the other being made by a big name second manufacture, Woodward as an example?

mrheiser

I also reached out to Peter about 2 months ago expressing interest in designing and building an electronic governor assembly but due to my schedule I just didn't have time to work on it with him. Just like Glockfan I too have about $500 wrapped up in a small prototype that I put together for my MEP-803A, however the servo motor I used isn't strong enough to handle the heavy spring on the throttle assembly. Much different than the 004 and 005 units I've worked with in the past. If anyone comes up with a solid working design you can count me in as an interested customer!

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not scavenge an actuator from a MEP831? They have several pounds of pull and would be more than enough to use for the fuel control lever.

Rebel635

Why dont you adjust the frequency droop on the mechanical pump before going and spending the $$& on what may be unnecessary. Reason most 802a's droop is that the speing lost some of its tension over the years and have never been re-adjusted.

mrheiser

Thanks for the great advice Rebel635. I remember seeing something listed in the Technical Manual about frequency droop but I hadn't put time into investigating that. I will now!! Thanks!

CDR

While I think this is very cool and innovative My 802 barley drops 2hz from no load to full load. I don't totally understand the point. But sign me up I'll buy one

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If Peter can build in an option to allow 2 units to be paralleled, then that might make it a much more attractive option.

So one 80x would be the master and ensure that the rpm on the 2nd unit stays in sync. It would also be great for there to be load relay control so that if one unit stopped (ran out of fuel or whatever), it would be dropped and just the remaining unit would power the load.

Last edited:

Glockfan

If Peter can build in an option to allow 2 units to be paralleled, then that might make it a much more attractive option.

So one 80x would be the master and ensure that the rpm on the 2nd unit stays in sync. It would also be great for there to be load relay control so that if one unit stopped (ran out of fuel or whatever), it would be dropped and just the remaining unit would power the load.
what a dang good idea that is! I'd love to have a pair of 802's in place instead of my single 803 but this would require a lot of work to develop I'm sure. I could dream about it though...

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could build a controller to parallel but due to the required instrumentation it would cost $1500 at least. I doubt anyone would want one for that.

QuarkDoc

Generac electronic govenor 098647ASRV

Why not use the Generac electronic controller with stepper motor (098647ASRV)?? A little mecanical work on the throttle linkage to attach the stepper motor perhaps.

mrheiser

I do have the Generac governor assembly and stepper motor but the throttle spring on the generator is so strong the stepper motor can't hold or even move the throttle. Unfortunately I'm not experienced enough at designing a custom throttle linkage to counter the heavy spring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks