• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member with 1955 GMC 424V

Tudor

Hello! Ran upon this awesome site searching for information on my new 1955 GMC Platform Stake Bed. Love all the information available here. Wow is all I can say. I found the manual on machining lathe, mills drilling holes etc. Just an awesome resource.

I am from Atlanta and work in construction and am really into old cars.

I recently purchased this truck after driving by it on the way to a buddy's house for about 5 years or so. I finally stopped and asked about it and was able to purchase the truck. It has a great running 302 6 with a holley carb. It has an Army plate and says Supply Services Maintaining Vehicle = Army. I am having trouble finding any information on these trucks. I can't find them identified in the vehicle indexes on Olive Drab and they doesn't appear to be any information this site in the searches I have done. I also really can't find any pictures of GMC's with the same grill shell.

gmc.jpg

I've got several more pictures in my album: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/album.php?albumid=3576

I wanted to post up here and see if anyone has any cool information and wanted to find out if this was a rare truck? It seems very original and is in very good shape.

I'd like to modify the truck with a more modern rear end to make it faster and more road worthy. If it is super rare, I probably won't modify it too much. I drove it last weekend after putting in a temporary gas tank. I received the new tank this week and have a new master cylinder to put in and it should be ready to ride.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm gonna step out here and say I think that's a civilian vehicle adapted for some sort of use by the Army for some non-tactical purpose...sorta like the "GSA Fleet Vehicles" used still today. You won't be able to find any sort of info here as an "M Series" vehicle I'm afraid.
I've seen many older International trucks with flatbeds and stake beds

I do wonder who/why the deuce looking bed was put on it. I haven't personally seen that on a GSA type vehicle.

I may be wrong here but I wouldn't think there is anything "rare" about it...especially as a military type vehicle. I personally wouldn't hesitate to modify it to suit my desires/needs.

I like the truck![thumbzup]

Last edited:

Monkeyboyarmy

A v8 sure would be neat in it. I've got a 65 GMC that originally had a 409 in it, but someone had to have it for a car. Anyways I like originality too. Cool truck.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a neat looking truck. I'd get the deuce bows and cover for the bed, repaint in 24087 olive drab, and proper lettering on the DOOR (not the hood, only M-series vehicles get hood markings). That would really look sharp!

Tudor

Thanks Men. A rear cover would be really cool. I saw one in the classifieds. Wondered if it would fit or not. Could easily camp on the deck.

I have only stepped off the bed at this point and it was right at 14 steps so I just assumed 14 footer. It's close to that but no I am not positive. It's over in my buddy's pasture. I'll check this weekend.
The wife saw pictures of it last night :) and found out about it. What's that big box for??

I'd love to try and find out some information on the ratios in the 5 speed so I can confirm what rear ratio I should be looking for. It'll be fun. It looks sinister going down the road for sure.

A V8 would be cool - a 454 and turbo 400 and a new rear - the darn thing would be a hot rod :)
I really love the look it has - want to keep it up and stock looking.

Last edited:

Tudor

The regular GMC grille did have a big mustache looking bar. The regular chevy truck grille was different as well. I believe the grille on these trucks was unique to the Army order on the tag in truck. Someone else described it as a fleet grill. Said it was less expensive than the stock GMC grille.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A V8 would be cool - a 454 and turbo 400 and a new rear - the darn thing would be a hot rod :)
I really love the look it has - want to keep it up and stock looking.
Might I suggest a Pontiac engine (400, 455) instead of the Chevy. Pontiac engines came stock in GMCs in the late 50s (not real common knowledge). I have a 56 GMC that was an original V-8 truck. Some also came with Olds V-8s, but never a Chevy. A Pontiac V-8 generally trumps a Chevy for low end torque (inch for inch with similar setups) which is better for truck (and street) use. 2 cents.

Tudor

I will take that suggestion. I agree completely. I know of an old 55 GMC delivery van that came with the big Poncho motor. It's way cool and would be way better than a 454 in there.

armytruck63

That shift pattern is the same as the non-synchronized pattern of the Clark transmission in CCKW's. That could be what is in your truck.

I myself would drive the truck around with the 302 and see how you like it. Maybe faster gears in the rear-end. There are performance upgrades available for the 302.

Tudor

Thanks for that lead on the CCKW. I just read the manual and the information on the emergency brake and regular brakes also looks like what I have or is very similar. It appears that 5th in that trans is an OD and 4th is direct. Also good information on the 6 cylinder engine. Thanks. Faster gears in the rear or a replacement rear will be the first mod with the 302 in place. Then if needed a different engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks