• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water thermostat seal

Archibald

I put a new thermostat in my M1008 CUCV and cant get it to seal. I put gasket seal on both sides of the seal thumb tight; waited 1 hr.; torqued it to 30 psi and it dripped. Put seal in with out gasket sealant and it leaked worse. Bought new part the radiator hose attaches to; sealant on the radiator side of the gasket; torqued to 30 lbs.; still leaks. It leaks from the bottom of the seal. The radiator hose is tighten properly. Looked at the bolt holes on the engine and radiator side for cracks with a magnifying glass. Did not see any cracks. This should be a no-brainer; but. Any ideas?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved to the CUCV forum. Doesn't belong in the Forum Tips and Tricks.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

It is possible the the mounting surface is warped. Also which thermostat did you use? Possibly the wrong one and won't allow the housing to seal?

rsh4364

I recently had same thing happen with my 1009,even though hose clamp was tight the hose wouldn't tighten down,added a second clamp and no leak.Ordered a new hose next day,single clamp no leak.I couldn't see leak hot or cold but when I squeezed hose near housing it would shoot coolant out toward housing making it look like housing was leaking when it was hose all along.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks