• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M880 Thread (pics plus bonus M882)

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I'm looking at getting a new vehicle, a project truck plus a few other benefits from it.

This is the truck I am looking at. Looks like a 77 M880 (couldn't get to the data plate). The under hood doesn't look too bad. but I'm going to need a new Carb I think. The one "issue" that I could see, the black out lights in the front and rear have been ripped out. front looked pretty crappy, but the rears looked like someone cared.

20141214_125006.jpg20141214_125021.jpg
My fellow VFW member picked up the M882 from the same guy.

20141214_123903.jpg20141214_123928.jpg20141214_123917.jpg
He has already replaced the spark plug wires (I think the plugs to) put a new carb on as well. the wiring underneath is thrashed, he is planning on replacing the entire wiring system. Being that it's an M882, but I'm not seeing what I expected to for the 60 Amp Generator (I'm used to the big honking HMMWV ones so...). Any chance someone could shoot me a picture of what it 'should' look like? It obviously has the mounting points for some antenna mounts...

Anyways. I'm hoping to call the guy who has the M880 this week.

Few things I'm looking at. Replacing the bench with bucket seats. New Paint, carb, exhaust maybe(possible rust), maybe conversion to power steering, center console (between seats).

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 60 amp alternator set up involves the usual military alternator in addition to the Mopar one. There will be a double groove pulley added to the crankshaft. Also a battery tray curbside for the 6TLs. Often all this is removed by the VFDs that used them.

With gas prices coming down, running a M880 is not as painful as it was.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It had the curb side and street side Battery trays, on both, for sure on the M882, not 100% on the M880.

The M882 had a alternator on the street side of the engine with a double groove pulley on it. There was a empty bracket off of the curb side of the engine. The street side wheel well also had a decent size bolt block that I assumed was for the radio kits.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The power terminal on the street side is the starter relay. The radio power buss is mounted on the curb side inner fender. Heavy cables routed to the bed for the radio shelf.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmmm..... that's odd as the M880 didn't have the same block/bolt setup, and there weren't any empty holes.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M880 did not have the 28v gen or the extra battery tray.
Where the M882 was a radio truck and had the 28v gen.
The 24v system on the M882 was for radio only, some may have had a slave cable port added at some point.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
None came with them but I have seen a couple M882/M884's with them added, one was sticking out the passenger side fender. :rolleyes: If one was added it would be a "one way" used to jump others or possibly to power the radios if it's batteries were drained.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
None came with them but I have seen a couple M882/M884's with them added, one was sticking out the passenger side fender. :rolleyes: If one was added it would be a "one way" used to jump others or possibly to power the radios if it's batteries were drained.
Interesting. Not a fan of the "through the fender". Seems a bit odd that they didn't get equipped with them... oh well.

nattieleather

Many lessons where learned from the M880 series and those lessons were applied to the CUCVs. Like 24V systems and slave receptacles. My buddy had a M882 back in the early 90s that the slave was mounted on the back of the cab right behind the door. I think if a slave receptacle was added it was done at unit level and it was put where ever they could.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 questions:

1. has anyone used the CARC look-a-like paint to do up their M880 in a MERDEC scheme? (all the paint jobs I see seem to be "faded")
2. is the cargo cover system for an M880 the same as a M1008?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 questions:

1. has anyone used the CARC look-a-like paint to do up their M880 in a MERDEC scheme? (all the paint jobs I see seem to be "faded")
2. is the cargo cover system for an M880 the same as a M1008?
IM002449c.JPG
IM002834s.jpg
about 7 years on Gillespie enamel paint from Rapco Parts.

There are differences between the cargo covers,(M880 / M1008) they can be made to work with minor modifications
IM000846s.jpg
when paint was new

Last edited:

N1265

I have never ( personally ) seen anybody use CARC 383 green with the MERDEC 4 color pattern, But I have seen them use different shades of brown than what the MERDEC pattern calls for, and it looked good to me. Got to remember, Most of these M880s were camoed at the unit level with a 4" paint brush. they will have quite a bit of variation.

I have one of each of the cargo covers. The CUCV cover is a different shade of green ( lighter ) but it will work on the M880 frame work. If I remember right, all I had to do was move two of the swivels ( one on each side rail ) and adjust the bows down a little bit. But it is no big deal and Most people will not notice the difference.

nattieleather

@Bob H I think the truck look better after 7 years :lol: The Gillispie paint is good and the color stay true. I also like N1265's Summer camo as well as Bob H's Fall pattern.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, she's out of the DNR's hands, probably picking G&A Logistics from uship tomorrow. they finally got the quote to a reasonable price ($1000 vs. almost $1700).

I had Iowa Towing and Recovery (Ames, IA) pull the truck from the DNR today. Great rates. I also asked, and they have sent me some additional pictures (albeit not too big, but big enough). BTW, I can't recommend these guys enough. great customer service and great rates.

Anyone got a spare tailgate? :p

Attachments

Well, the thing that sticks out in your engine bay is that you don't have the original air cleaner. That is an aftermarket item that's on the carburetor now.I also don't see how your battery is secured in the battery tray as there's no clamp such as mine on it. I'm also not sure if your overflow tube is connected to your overflow tank as it seems just to be hanging on the left side of the radiator.

Here's a few shots of mine. Mine is an M882 which was last in the Forestry Service somewhere in Iowa or Wisconsin. It has been repainted in CARC camo colors by Tom Zat, the fellow I bought it from. I hope your truck has the power steering that was put on most M880s after they left the military as it sure needs it to get around, especially at low speeds. It isn't clear from the photos your shipper sent you.

Tom Zat said the electronic ignition module on these trucks was a weak link and often went bad, but so far mine is OK. That may be a reason to check to find out why your truck doesn't start though.

Attachments

michigandon

Tom Zat said the electronic ignition module on these trucks was a weak link and often went bad, but so far mine is OK. That may be a reason to check to find out why your truck doesn't start though.
Always ALWAYS ALWAYS carry and extra ECU and ballast resistor aboard any '70s ChryCo product. Don't even drive across the street without spares on hand!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess what finally showed up? Yep. My new girl.

Some interesting oddities, but whoever had her before me, did a nice job with her. I'll post some additional pictures in the morning. Looks like one of the first issues I have is tracking down a key (or the key code). Wiring is going to be high on the list. Looks like light bar, sprayers, power routed to the bed, battery tender, siren/PA, and I think a CB as well (mount, no radio, but wires hanging) were added. I'm looking forward to this project.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks