• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help finding a TM for a Decontaminating Apparatus NSN: 4230-01-492-1540

mibugnu

Hello all. I'm hoping someone out there can help me locate a TM for a decon unit. NSN: 4230-01-492-1540. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Just found more info on it. Its a M17 MCHF, or a M17 LDS

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you good on the TM or do I need to use my dwindling days of LOGSA to access it (assuming it's unrestricted)?

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this thread is old, but I too need assistance finding the correct manual. TM 3-4230-228-23&P for a M17A3 Lightweight Decon unit, nsn 4230-01-346-3122

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All I really care about is, what ratio of fuel/oil do I need to burn with a Cuyuna motor, and what octane. the burner is easy,red diesel.

robertsears1

Mine had been modified by the military to burn diesel. It had a metal yellow tag attached to both fuel lines (burner and engine) saying to use JP5/8. The TM that came with the unit still said to use gasoline but the pictures of the engine did not match reality. I think the Army was trying to get down to only two fuels. I had never heard of an engine running on diesel using sparkplugs but it works. Mine also has a tank for for the mix oil and it is injected into the carb. I found the man in Ohio? who bought out the engine line from the company in SC. He was vaguely aware of the diesel mod by the military but did not have any literature for it. Do you have the ability to post pictures? I also use a 30 gal trash can as a header with a hose feeding it. I have put about 12 hours on mine.

Robert

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine had been modified by the military to burn diesel. It had a metal yellow tag attached to both fuel lines (burner and engine) saying to use JP5/8. The TM that came with the unit still said to use gasoline but the pictures of the engine did not match reality. I think the Army was trying to get down to only two fuels. I had never heard of an engine running on diesel using sparkplugs but it works.

Robert
I will go look at mine, I didnt see any tags of any kind, other than the red preservation tag.

nope, no tags, looks unmolested, brand new, never used by unit.

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, still all banded and bagged, full tool set, shower setup, 2 wands, only think i could see that was missing was the TM (of course) and the float size adjuster bulb.

robertsears1

I don't know what you mean by "float size adjuster bulb". Mine did come with an orange float ball to hold up the end of the intake off the bottom if used in a pond or lake. Did you get one of the flexible tanks in the pile of goodies? If you search decontaminating apparatus,you should find my thread with some pictures. I have a bunch more if you PM me since they are too big to post easily.

Robert

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats just what the inventory list inside the lid of the goody box said. Mine did have a float ball, its blue. Yours has a slave port, mine doesnt.

IMG_0470[1].jpg

IMG_0471[1].jpg

*edit* BL can was not included in the goody box when I received it from GL

Last edited:

robertsears1

It does appear that yours is the unmodified type. I have TM 3-4230-228-10 in the box which is up at the shop. I will try to remember to grab it Saturday. Behind the round air cleaner on the side of your engine looks like the carb. On mine, there is a butterfly valve there which is the throttle. The carb is on top. You also do not appear to have the mix oil tank on the top of the unit. I would agree that you will need to run mix for the fuel. Not sure what you mean by slave port. Mine only came with one output hose but ebay has 25' steam hoses that are much lighter and not too expensive. I used the connectors from the shower parts for the new hoses. I am almost positive that my other hose got mixed up with another unit sold at the same time but the GL man acted like I insulted his heritage when I asked about it. If you do not have old style jerry cans, grab a couple. I used plastice jugs initially but the jerry cans are made to hang on the side just below the lid for the burner fuel hose and the engine fuel can sits on the holder that pulls out above the recoil rope.

Robert

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yours appears to have a power port, NATO adapter required on the bottom next to the water inlet, I am assuming for an electric starter. I would love to have the correct fuel cans, but I refuse to pay $80 for scepter cans when I have marine fuel tanks, or gas cans that do the job. I am waiting on a switch that will be here on Tuesday, the burner selector switch was broken when I got mine, I want it correct before I try to run it.
Is your manual hard copy? or ETM?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks