• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tatra 813

Superfuel

Hello is there anyone here in the United States that owns a Tatra 813? I have one here in California and it would be nice to communicate with other owners to exchange info and maybe form a club.

Los Angeles, California

Superfuel

M1075 said:
Tatras are sweet. I found this website http://l1-a.net/tatra/ Is this your truck? Maybe you can post some pics for us. Welcome to Steelsoldiers.
Thank you. Yes I bought the truck from that guy up in San Jose. He drove it once after he got it and let it sit for about 4 years. I have been slowly fixing it up and now it is in great shape mechanically. Now for the cosmetics! I need to make smaller files from my pictures.

Dieselsmoke

I saw that truck at the Big Bear event about four maybe five years ago. Awesome is putting it lightly, that thing was just friggin unreal. I see why the guy didn't drive it very much, when he almost backed over my tent I could tell he had no idea how to use the mirrors or no idea what a ground guide is. I think he was afraid of something that big too. Sure was an excellent looking rig then though.

Superfuel

Yes that is the one. It sat outside during the time that it sat. I am currently doing an "in-frame" restoration on it. Starting with the mechanicals and finishing with the cosmetics. Replaced air lines, fuel injectors and injection pump, as well as upgradeing the fuel system, adding prefilters etc. It is interesting to hear from people who saw this in action before I aquired it. I drive it around the San Fernando Valley here in Los Angeles. I drove it to the Southern Cal MVCC meeting and joined up. Quite a spectacle as my girlfriend likes to say. It is an awesome looking and driving machine. I drive a semi-truck for a living, and to be quite honest with you this thing drives a lot easier than it looks, for those of us that know how to drive. I am sure if he ran over your tent he probably would not have known. How did you prevent the disaster?

Desert Rat

James,
Just like we say here, take Greyhound and leave driving to professionals. A truck like that is a beautiful thing when in the correct hands. I'd love an opportunity behind the wheel sometime! I've got just over 1.5 million miles experience, 11 years of it in intermodal, to back me up (dang that was a good pun, third today!). I love having my class "A"!

vtunimog

JAMES -

It's been a long time no hear. Hope all is well with the Kolos ! I sold an 813 to FL last spring. What a nightmare ! It came in in pieces and I had an ex. Czech machinist from Connecticut come up and help me put it together, well at least the electrical parts. I had it a week and only got to yard drive it. It was shipped off and the new owner is having it stripped and redone from the ground up. When compared to a MAN Kat 8x8 the Tatra handles and drives like a dream. The noise is defeaning though as you can attest too.

I have a new source for ex. Czech trucks and they seem to be fairly good mechanically, the bodies are always an issue with these things though. Considering the age of the these vehicles I am amazed at the technology and design. I always thought the Germans were the pinnacle of engineering, apparently the Czechs may have them beat.

The sad part is that an Indian firm just bought up a warehouse of T813 parts and will not be selling them outside India.

contact Chip Clarke at chrstnsails64@yahoo.com

He is about to get an 813 in May. He went over to the UK and drove one and instantly wanted it.

Cheers,

Chris M

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Superfuel, I was there last Sunday! That is a bitchen truck! I wanted to hunt you down to talk to you, but got too busy. To all, this truck is beautiful up close and it sounds impressive! What's it got for power? A V12?

EZFEED

I've got a Tatra 912 powered PLDvK 53/59. The Czechs do indeed make fantastic equipment. All of the machinegun parts kits that I've imported for myself are from the Czech Republic and hands down they make some fine weapons with exceptional old time quality.

vtunimog

WillWagner said:
Superfuel, I was there last Sunday! That is a bitchen truck! I wanted to hunt you down to talk to you, but got too busy. To all, this truck is beautiful up close and it sounds impressive! What's it got for power? A V12?
They sound like Jet engines up close. It's a monster 17L V12 air cooled diesel.

The valves down near the drivers left leg are the CTIS for each wheel. Air down those monsters and it takes a while to build the pressure back up, as James can probably attest to.

These guys were building central tire inflation before the west started to use it in any numbers really. If you ever seen a Pinzguaer you can see the licensed Tatra backbone frame/drive train system.

Attachments

hummin2london

Hi, I got posted to UK by the DOD (Navy chief) and then stayed on working for the us gov't after I retired from the service. I'm going ot be buying a 813 this summer to support my hummer racing habit in north africa. I have access to some parts. In fact, I might be buying about 5 trucks: 1 great runner and 2 that need a little work and 2 parts horses, all as a job lot from a company here in the UK.

I'll attach a pic of an 815 (civ versions) that looks like what I plan on doing. Its not mil spec paint job, but I'm hoping to get Texaco or somebody to shell a little money my way in the way of advertising!

Attachments

vtunimog

Cole -
Sounds like you have a great start. You might find that the 815 out performs the hummer <grin> :)

Parts can be an issue, as James can attest too. There are a few dealers in Europe selling old stock. There is also a bit floating around eastern Europe as well. I found a dealer in Poland who has a huge warehouse of spares including axles, engines cabs. Distance and time are the only problems.

There are quite a few 813's in the UK, I work with a couple of enthusiasts who own and drive them. Contact me off list and we can compare notes.

Chris M

tamangel

Hopefully not a thread hiJack, not a Tatra but still impressive: Man Kat 8X8

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnErOM9r4lI[/media]

Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks