• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank, M1A2 / M1A2SEP Abrams NSN: 2350-01-328-5964

Carlo

I can understand them not wanting to loose those skilled workers not to forget a plant that works and has proven itself time and time again. I'm against selling Abrams to just anyone though.

B3.3T

This is the same problem as with submarines. If we give up the ability to built, it is very time-consuming, difficult, and expensive to ever get it back.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I had no idea that ISIS captured 40 M1A1s. Does anyone know if they've been neutralized?
None or all or some of it may be true
I am not going there, they are all crazy
I just liked the Honeywell AGT1500 because it is a multifuel
The protection/neutralization comes from the planned obsolescence
at 3 gallons per mile and no new parts they will be 60+ tons of scrap soon.
(Heck, I can't even get some parts for a Deuce!)
I would suspect the equipment will be dead one way or another in <100 hours
see section 8 in the TM

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They don't. The tank hulls and turrets that are now M1A2SEP's were M1ANothings back in the day, and they got upgraded to M1A1's and later A2's and later A2SEPs. It is just the "guts" on the insides that get upgraded.

Another Ahab

I can understand them not wanting to loose those skilled workers not to forget a plant that works and has proven itself time and time again. I'm against selling Abrams to just anyone though.
This is the same problem as with submarines. If we give up the ability to built, it is very time-consuming, difficult, and expensive to ever get it back.
The old guns-and-butter conundrum. I get it; and it presents a problem, for sure:

- These are big bucks; really BIG bucks.

- You just have to wonder if there is a better way.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC the last group of people to successfully design a nuclear weapon are now reaching retirement age.

Hopefully we'll never see how that works out.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Problem is a world in which someone else's work, and they question the ability of yours to. (They're effectively scrap if they can't deter)

Worse is one where you need to use one, it fizzles, and you don't know how to fix the rest.

blhar15

Where is the common sense in selling more M1 Abrams to Iraq, knowing that ISIS has already captured the previous ones. It is almost as if someone is purposely doing this trying to unravel things over there.

Carlo

I served almost 30 years in our armored forces as a liaison officer. Of these years 24 with NATO working side by side with the US Army. When I see these photos of these animals using this equipment it turns my stomach. The Abrams is know world wide as a part of the USA. Something must be done to stop selling these knowing they could wind up in the hands of the enemy that we are at war with!!!

TehTDK

I am not too concerned about the Abrams. I know americans in general hold them very dear and praise them, but from what I can see they aren't exactly up to the mustard anymore compared to the up to date Leo2's and Challanger II's. But time is even slowly running from those as well.

But its never good if someone who can potentially be "compromised" gets their hands on moderm military vehicles/materials.

Carlo

I am not too concerned about the Abrams. I know americans in general hold them very dear and praise them, but from what I can see they aren't exactly up to the mustard anymore compared to the up to date Leo2's and Challanger II's. But time is even slowly running from those as well.

But its never good if someone who can potentially be "compromised" gets their hands on moderm military vehicles/materials.
I disagree with this comment as in an M1 not being Up To Date with Leo2's and Challenger2's. The latest updates on the M1 put it well superior to them. Last summers war games in Germany proved this. The M1 will go on another 30 plus years with updates and the same can't be said about the others.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks