• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank, M1A2 / M1A2SEP Abrams NSN: 2350-01-328-5964

Another Ahab

I disagree with this comment as in an M1 not being Up To Date with Leo2's and Challenger2's. The latest updates on the M1 put it well superior to them. Last summers war games in Germany proved this. The M1 will go on another 30 plus years with updates and the same can't be said about the others.
I recall USSR posting something about some upcoming tank games in Russia:

- Anybody know if the U.S. participates?

I wouldn't think you'd want to tip your hand in international competitions like that with anybody other than (generally) assured allies, but I don't know the protocol of war games.

Madmedic

Not a chance in "hades".

The "games" you refer to is actually a semi-annual weapons bazaar the Russians put on to try and sell their "export version" weapons systems to foreign countries.

There will be, of course, U.S. Military Observer's there, just as they would be at the Paris Air Show and weapons sale every year.

Also, it is common practice since before the fall of the "Iron Curtain" for the Russians and NATO countries to exchange official observers at any large scale training manuevers.

Carlo

Not a chance in "hades".

The "games" you refer to is actually a semi-annual weapons bazaar the Russians put on to try and sell their "export version" weapons systems to foreign countries.

There will be, of course, U.S. Military Observer's there, just as they would be at the Paris Air Show and weapons sale every year.

Also, it is common practice since before the fall of the "Iron Curtain" for the Russians and NATO countries to exchange official observers at any large scale training manuevers.

I'm sorry to argue but there is a competition and Yes the USA has participated just has most of NATO armies. There is little the Russians don't know about our NATO armor as we theirs.
http://rt.com/news/first-tank-biathlon-competition-russia-346/

Madmedic

I'm was aware of exchange programs with various countries, including the Soviet Union, (whups I mean RUSSIA) having sent units to the NTC at Ft. Irwin Ca, for war games. I was un-aware of the U.S. agreeing to attend the Commie (whupsie, there I go again) event. But I seriously doubt, that the US actually did, due to the political environment involving Urkraine etc, then and now.

I agree, that there is little that either country doesn't know about the other's weapon systems.

saddamsnightmare

May 3rd, 2015.

Considering the way technology evolves, we would do better to keep the A-10 production line running, as even our tanks don't have a long life expectancy in current combat conditions, ISIS or no ISIS, Russia or no Russia. Heavy armor as we know it now will probably be completely obsolete within the next 10 or 15 years due to evolving weapons system technology (theirs and ours).

Madmedic

Love the Warthog. They had Hogs come back to base during Desert Storm, with 1/2 their wing shot off, entire engine pods blown off, but the pilot perfectly fine, aircraft still fully flyable, and back in 100% condition in a matter of days.

Funny thing is, True Military Experts have been saying the day of the tank is over, since the 1st generation of tanks came out. Others say, that the continuing battle between tanks and anti-tank systems will never stop.

Another Ahab

May 3rd, 2015.

Considering the way technology evolves, we would do better to keep the A-10 production line running, as even our tanks don't have a long life expectancy in current combat conditions, ISIS or no ISIS, Russia or no Russia. Heavy armor as we know it now will probably be completely obsolete within the next 10 or 15 years due to evolving weapons system technology (theirs and ours).
It's only wishful thinking, but it'd be nice if war altogether grew obsolete within the next 10-15 years. Don't hold your breath, but how bad could that be?

Another Ahab

Look on the bright side, if war became obsolete, we could finally privately own some Abrams! (If we don't already that is.)
Sweet! That is sounding pretty good to me:

- I just hope that gas gets real cheap at the same time.

I mean you know, because what if everybody wants a "his-and-hers" pair!?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks