• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

V100 Carb / Manifold Combo

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking to replace the factory carb and potentially the manifold on the 381 and was curious what carb is recommended, I know the Edelbrock (spelling?) 1405 was recommend. I have two other similar carbs and will check to see which ones I have when I get back. While I have the radiator out, is the intake manifold worth replaceing or will the stock work fine with the aftermarket carb? If I should replace, what model should I go with. I've also heard the edelbrock performer series is a good choice, but was not sure what model number (part number to use). Last thing, going with the aftermarket carb, carb/manifold combo, how much of the air horn will I need to shave off of the bottom (if needed) to make sure the clearences on the radiator is good. Reason I ask is that the owner before me added an aftermarket edelbrock carb (can't remember the model) and it raises the airhorn a bit too high for the radiator to sit down properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jason

404-665-6411
Would love to talk with other owners.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Waiting for B3-3T and JimK to weigh in. I know Jim is having similar issues with his. B3 is very experienced with working on these, and has a good Edelbrock carb/manifold combination he has used successfully, that fits under the radiator.
If we don't hear from them pretty quick, I'll dig in my notes, when I get a chance, for the numbers.

I plan on doing the conversion on mine, since I really have nothing good to say about the stock Holley.
I have had several of the V100 veterans tell me they replaced the carbs in Vietnam with ones mail ordered from speed shops. So I can replace mine, and still maintain historical accuracy.
And hopefully get away from the pathetic 3mpg I get! B3 mentioned getting around 9mpg on his converted V.

Cheers

B3.3T

1406 Edelbrock carb with Edelbrock or stock Mopar manifold. Work awesome right out of the box. No tuning needed. Anything else is pretty much a waste of time and money. We have picked up the manifolds for $25.00.

B3.3T

Stock manifold will not work. Boat anchor POS. The carb will not interfere with the radiator. Just use a low profile top hat filter, I think 10". fits great.

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spoke with the previous owner today and it has an edelbrock 383 performer manifold on it along with the edelbrock carb. The only issue I have now is that the aftermarket carb and manifold combo is a little too high and the radiator will not sit down all the way. Was thinking of having about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch milled off the the bottom of the air horn and having a small hole drilled in the top with a low profile bolt used to hold the airhorn to the carb. This way I get the clearance for the radiator and still have the factory airhorn held securely to the carb. Looking forward to getting the beast on the road in the next two weeks or so.

B3.3T

The factory air horn may or may not be too restrictive to the setup. We never bothered with the factory air horn. You are going from a stock 350 cfm setup to a 600 cfm and it could effect the carb tuning. Or not at all. Generally with the V-100, the improvements gained with this setup and an electronic ignition outweigh the concept of keeping it original by such a huge margin that no one cares what the engine compartment looks like.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks