Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Hawker battery questions.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tbar123 View Post
    I know they are in need of replacement, I just wanted to prolong their death for a month,So I can get my attendance bonus and buy some new ones.
    If you drive that truck to work, you'll miss that attendance bonus, because it won't start.

The general consensus is, asking us questions about it doesn't change their age. They are shot by any measure. Charging probably won't help much, if at all. At this point, they are what they are, and they are probably reduced to being jumped to get the engine started at this point. $200 for 2 new batteries as others are saying, and you'll never look back again. Get 4 if you do cold starts (you are in OH it seems), or if the engine health is marginal and requires extended cranking. You should be able to recover a decent amount at a local scrap yard for your 4 take-outs, maybe more than the core change when you buy the new group 31's if you are going that route. Gas is cheap right now, you should have a little extra coin in your pocket.

If you REALLY want to extend it, I could sell you a 12V starter!
    CFO @ Portacharger

Thanks

I forgot to add that if need more than two 6Ts for normal use, my plan is to get a Group 31 AGM or two, if needed. I'll bench the two "dead" 6Ts and see if I can bring them back to life without taking up space in the truck.

Brad
    5TonKayak

Thanks

Hmm...for some reason my first post said it was waiting for mod review, and then I posted the above which will now be out of sequence and confusing I try again -

I'm replying to this thread since it leaves off where my question begins. In resolving my charging system issues, I've replaced an alternator (from Spider Marine, with assistance from @manders), and installed a NOCO Genius G4 in the battery box. I labeled my batteries to be 1 - 4, with No. 1 being what comes in from the main negative cable, 2 and 3 in series, and 4 has the main positive cable going out. The NOCO brought No. 1 to full charging capacity, and No. 4 to 75-80%. Numbers 2 and 3 never get past 50%, and measure somewhere in the 6-8V range. I usually started the truck once a week, but it's not driven a lot. I missed about three weeks of starting it, and now it clicks the relay or maybe tries to turn over but doesn't crank at all.

My questions:

1. How many good 6T batteries do I _really_ need to operate an M923?
    2. Is it a function more of CCA, or is it a minimum voltage threshold that matters most?
    3. Am I hurting the two "good" Hawkers by having them connected in series with the two "Dead" batteries?

Thanks in advance!
    Brad
    5TonKayak

dumpsterlandingfromorbit! gimpyrobb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,597 Times in 4,486 Posts

Reserve capacity
    Yes

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gimpyrobb For This Useful Post:

5TonKayak (02-11-2019)

Thanks

Short and sweet. Thank you, sir!