• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hawker battery questions.

tbar123

I have 4 of the Hawker HASP-FT batteries in my M923. I noticed that they are now 11 years old from the date of manufacture. Reading the Tm from Hawker it states that these batteries have 54 month service life.I also tested the voltage of all 4 batteries and are within 1 volt of each other, The lowest 11.75 and the highest at 12.5 volts. So my questions are.

1) Should these batts be replaced due to age?

2) How do I charge them while being connected? I don't have a slave receptacle charger, and really don't want to remove each 88lb battery to charge individually.

3)If I should replace them , what should I replace them with?

4) If they are still good, How much time do I have left before I should replace them?

As always thanks for any and all advice!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A. Does the truck start okay? If so do a normal PM for a sealed battery. ;-)
B. You don't have to pull a battery to charge it by itself. You could just disconnect it in the truck and charge it.

The truck in my pickup is the original. 11 years and 13 days since I bought it. If a battery works I don't mess with it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To charge my 4 Gimpy brought over a slave cable plug and we hook the truck up to the big charger.

tbar123

No the truck turns over for about 4 seconds then quits. Second attempt is about 1-3 seconds of cranking. I think this is my cold start problem. The only battery charger I have access to is a large roll around and won't fit in the truck, and since I put the singles on it's to tall for the cables to reach. It is also parked outside.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Solution for the too high is put it on blocks. Solution for outside is a tarp. I had to do the same thing for a couple years on my backhoe before Gimpy made me fix the alternator. Haven't had to do that in quite a while now.

Or just get two or 4 group 31 blemish batteries at Interstate or Walmart and put your new block heater on it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You don't even need to remove the terminals to charge them. 12v is 12v. That is what the voltage is at each battery between its terminals.

DO NOT HOOK UP TO ANYTHING OTHER THAN ITS TERMINALS.

Often a dead cell will act like what is happening. A battery can look like it is good, till a load is put on. That is why you need a carbon-pyle tester.

If 2 of your batteries test good, I wouldn't hesitate to run just 2. Hawker makes good batteries.

74M35A2

Those batteries are shot. Most batteries will live about 5 years. The open circuit voltage (OCV) you reported they are dead as they sit. 12.0V is heavily discharged, in the range of 80-90%. 12.8V is a full charged lead acid battery.

The only true test of battery health is a load test. You can do this right on the truck using the starter. You don't need any type of external load tester, but those are OK to use also. Measure voltage across the battery terminals while cranking (prohibit engine from starting). If voltage drops below 10V for any battery, it is not delivering it's rated power anymore.

But, just looking at their age and your OCV, they are dead as they sit. Check the second image down in this link, it gives a reference to battery OCV vs SOC (State of Charge) relationship:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_measure_state_of_charge

Even if they would start the truck, there is no reserve in them at all. If you were do grab an air pocket of fuel and needed extended cranking, they would not be up for it at all. A 923 is a lot of vehicle to have sitting somewhere unable to move, and standard group 31's (semi truck batteries) are only $100 each brand new. Go with 2 or 4 of those, and you won't open the seat for another 5 years at least. Try to avoid Exide if possible.

tbar123

I think that is what's happening the voltage is there just not the CCA and the batts don't have enough behind them anymore. After all they have lasted 11 years. Sucks it wasn't 11 years with me!!!! But I will try to charge them this weekend and see what happens. But I do realize the end is near and batteries are on my shopping list.

gimpyrobb

There is a place here in Cincy that sells 4D and 8D batteries cheap. Not sure how you would set them in place though...

tbar123

I'm not a fan of anything exploding around me. I am a complete idiot as far as batteries and many more things if you ask people that know me, but What should I look for in a battery? What should I expect to pay so I can start saving?

gimpyrobb

They are the size of 2 6tl batteries in one! You would only use 2 of them and use up the same space as 4 of the 6TL.

tbar123

Google is not my friend Google hates me ,everything I search for comes back with crap that is not close to what I typed in!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
8D is a good sized battery (big) and I had to put one in my backhoe without the nice little handholds on it. Going in wasn't so bad, getting the old one out of the tight space was.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks