• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hawker battery questions.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
8D is a good sized battery (big) and I had to put one in my backhoe without the nice little handholds on it. Going in wasn't so bad, getting the old one out of the tight space was.
You should try to get them up and under the seat in a roadgrader .

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those batteries are shot. Most batteries will live about 5 years. The open circuit voltage (OCV) you reported they are dead as they sit. 12.0V is heavily discharged, in the range of 80-90%. 12.8V is a full charged lead acid battery.

The only true test of battery health is a load test. You can do this right on the truck using the starter. You don't need any type of external load tester, but those are OK to use also. Measure voltage across the battery terminals while cranking (prohibit engine from starting). If voltage drops below 10V for any battery, it is not delivering it's rated power anymore.

But, just looking at their age and your OCV, they are dead as they sit. Check the second image down in this link, it gives a reference to battery OCV vs SOC (State of Charge) relationship:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_measure_state_of_charge

Even if they would start the truck, there is no reserve in them at all. If you were do grab an air pocket of fuel and needed extended cranking, they would not be up for it at all. A 923 is a lot of vehicle to have sitting somewhere unable to move, and standard group 31's (semi truck batteries) are only $100 each brand new. Go with 2 or 4 of those, and you won't open the seat for another 5 years at least. Try to avoid Exide if possible.
You probably have underwear older than those batteries!

I agree, new batteries. Check all your connections while you are at it. I want to say just check connections, but an 11 year old battery in something like that is very, very old.

tbar123

So the general consensus for charging these batts this weekend would be to disconnect each one and charge to maximum volt of 12.8 volts. If they charge that high.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the general consensus for charging these batts this weekend would be to disconnect each one and charge to maximum volt of 12.8 volts. If they charge that high.
It sounds like your just prolonging the agony of emptying your wallet for some new batteries ,there 11years old there done for . Lack of cranking amps will kill your starter .

tbar123

I know they are in need of replacement, I just wanted to prolong their death for a month,So I can get my attendance bonus and buy some new ones.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Between $2-300 for two NAPA Commercial that will start it.

I bought a set last year and put them in the Deuce I sold and as I remember they are around 1150CCA.

74M35A2

I know they are in need of replacement, I just wanted to prolong their death for a month,So I can get my attendance bonus and buy some new ones.
If you drive that truck to work, you'll miss that attendance bonus, because it won't start. [thumbzup]

The general consensus is, asking us questions about it doesn't change their age. They are shot by any measure. Charging probably won't help much, if at all. At this point, they are what they are, and they are probably reduced to being jumped to get the engine started at this point. $200 for 2 new batteries as others are saying, and you'll never look back again. Get 4 if you do cold starts (you are in OH it seems), or if the engine health is marginal and requires extended cranking. You should be able to recover a decent amount at a local scrap yard for your 4 take-outs, maybe more than the core change when you buy the new group 31's if you are going that route. Gas is cheap right now, you should have a little extra coin in your pocket.

If you REALLY want to extend it, I could sell you a 12V starter!

5TonKayak

Reviving an old thread, since this one's the most recent and leaves off where my question begins...

I've been working through the charging issues on my M923A0. Thus far have replaced the alternator (via Spider Marine, thanks @manders) and installed a NOCO Genius G4 set to AGM mode. I labeled my batteries 1 - 4 with one being where positive lead comes in, and four being where negative lead goes out, with 2 and 3 being the ones in-between in series.

The NOCO brought back two of the batteries, with No. 1 one at full capacity and No. 4 at about 75%. The two batteries in between are not charging. I've disconnected them at different times and direct connected a decent charger (I forget the brand, but has an 80A charge setting and has an AGM setting on it) on them to try and bring them back, but so far no luck past about 8V, which drops right back down to 6V the first time I try to crank.

My two questions:
1. Are my bad batteries in series causing problems for my good batteries by being connected to them?
2. How many good 6T batteries do I _really_ need to start this truck. Though I try to start it at least once a week, it sits a fair amount between drives. I missed about three weeks before starting it, even with the NOCO on it, and now it won't start.

Is it a function of a minimum threshold of available CCA, or a minimum voltage? The two "dead" batteries can definitely drag the overall voltage down...

Thanks in advance!
Brad
5TonKayak

5TonKayak

I forgot to add that if need more than two 6Ts for normal use, my plan is to get a Group 31 AGM or two, if needed. I'll bench the two "dead" 6Ts and see if I can bring them back to life without taking up space in the truck.

Brad
5TonKayak

5TonKayak

Hmm...for some reason my first post said it was waiting for mod review, and then I posted the above which will now be out of sequence and confusing :) I try again -

I'm replying to this thread since it leaves off where my question begins. In resolving my charging system issues, I've replaced an alternator (from Spider Marine, with assistance from @manders), and installed a NOCO Genius G4 in the battery box. I labeled my batteries to be 1 - 4, with No. 1 being what comes in from the main negative cable, 2 and 3 in series, and 4 has the main positive cable going out. The NOCO brought No. 1 to full charging capacity, and No. 4 to 75-80%. Numbers 2 and 3 never get past 50%, and measure somewhere in the 6-8V range. I usually started the truck once a week, but it's not driven a lot. I missed about three weeks of starting it, and now it clicks the relay or maybe tries to turn over but doesn't crank at all.

My questions:

1. How many good 6T batteries do I _really_ need to operate an M923?
2. Is it a function more of CCA, or is it a minimum voltage threshold that matters most?
3. Am I hurting the two "good" Hawkers by having them connected in series with the two "Dead" batteries?

Thanks in advance!
Brad
5TonKayak

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks