• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-series flasher relay - civvy conversion how-to

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just bought an ef22. Can i just run wires to under the dash and mount it there instead of using a gang box or such?
I suspect you mean an EG22 but yes. You can simply cut off your cannon connector, ignore the ground wire and crimp spade connectors onto the existing wires, if that's how you want to roll.

tcruwithme

Is there room in the new box for a second/spare relay? I see that Vetco has several size options for this type of box.

So, I have to post an update.

After 3 years on the truck, one of the plastic mounting tabs on the box broke. Now, this may be my fault, as I tend to pull the box off and use it to test customer vehicles before I build another relay. So maybe that had something to do with it............

But, after thinking about it, I think the heat and vibration of the engine compartment are probably hard on that box. So I ordered one of the metal boxes The Stig used to build his and I've now upgraded my flasher to Version 2.0.

View attachment 720322View attachment 720323View attachment 720324View attachment 720325View attachment 720327View attachment 720328View attachment 720329View attachment 720330

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is there room in the new box for a second/spare relay? I see that Vetco has several size options for this type of box.
I don't think so. I think when i converted to this box from the plastic that I tried to move the extra flasher into it and it wouldn't fit.

The Stig (who I got the part # for this box from) used this one because the bolt holes allowed it to bolt to the vehicle using the factory holes.

Kickerson

Do you have a link or part number to the wires you connected to the EG 22? The wires can be seen in the pictures of version 2.0. Thanks for the post and has anyone verified that this will work with LEDS yet?

Last edited:

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do you have a link or part number to the wires you connected to the EG 22? The wires can be seen in the pictures of version 2.0. Thanks for the post and has anyone verified that this will work with LEDS yet?
I don't have a link for the harness I bought, because I got it from Napa but I suspect this one will work:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TWR3032BX

I have seen this work on a truck that had rear LEDs, incandescent fronts. That's my only LED experience.

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My third GI flasher unit in nine years has decided to go south me and I am now done with those problem children. Driving SoCal freeways with no flashers is scary proposition.
So, here's my stab at this upgrade on my M818. I did fudge up the on the "L" contact lead on the wiring harness. I was not getting power into the relay. I just reversed the red and black (open) leads and, BAM, "click, click, click..."!
The box mounting tabs were drilled out to 5/16" just enough to mount right up to the existing holes.
As you can see, a boxed up spare relay is stashed snugly inside. I also added some padding to prevent to much vibration.

IMG_3389.jpgIMG_3390.jpgIMG_3391.jpg

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My original EG22 that I installed in 2015 died at the rally last week. So I got about 4 years and 8 months. Not sure on mileage, but I don't drive the truck much.

Metal box had no moisture in it or evidence of having had moisture in it.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well that's a shame. You have all incandescent lights right? Hoping I'll get a good long life out of mine with all LED signals.
Yes. Although all my civvy trailers have LEDs. I think this is just what you get with cheap Chinese stuff. I doubt it's a load issue.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I'm going to do this for Jonathan's M49A2C. As long as I can get the connector back in the cab, I plan on mounting this up under the dash out of harm and road grimes way.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My original EG22 that I installed in 2015 died at the rally last week. So I got about 4 years and 8 months. Not sure on mileage, but I don't drive the truck much.

Metal box had no moisture in it or evidence of having had moisture in it.
Clinto, that is 4x the life span of the military correct flasher units I had installed. They were utter garbage.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks