• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running backwards?

Heck - I don't even like doing the overspeed shut down trips for the USCG when they won't let us downwardly adjust the trip speed or just trigger the relay to prove the shut down works - something about manually forcing a freshly rebuilt machine to overspeed hurts the soul...

I didn't get the pleasure of seeing it happen but had a buddy try to stop a runaway 8v91 with a carhart coat after ripping off the inlet plenum to the blower - that jimmy ate that coat like it was made of marshmallow fluff ;) big mess!

I still think this one is my fav - MAN 6L23/30 - crew failed to notice a small crack in the gudgeon pin boss on the piston - on scavenge she came from togetherness and it was an un-manned engine room - no one was clear if she shut down from loss of jacket water or oil pressure... Either way you could stick your head through the air box into the liner frame and there was a window to see into the next liner chamber... I flew from Seattle to Las Palmas Gran Carnaria to condemn it for the insurance company... Long trip for 4 hours on the tanker!

The ring in the pictures is all that was left of the liner - the rod pulverized the rest - also knocked out the injector and bent all 4 valves... Not the worst cylinder cover damage I have seen but it was close...

If the block didn't have the holes we could have fixed it pretty easily - ended up ordering a new block and moving all the other stuff over several months later - funny thing was a year prior I repaired another unit on the engine next to this one

Enjoy

Matt

Attachments

Ford Mechanic

One exception to that spark ignited engines can't run backwards is the early 2 stroke gas golf carts. They ran the engine backwards to get reverse! I've only seen one and that one and it has since been sold due to issues.

Ford Mechanic

I had another tech runaway a 7.3 Ford right beside me! It came in for a no start, he put a starter and batteries in it cause it was cranking so slow. We found out later the customer was loading it with ether. I was standing back to it working on a set of u joints on a table right beside the right front tire when he finally got it to fire off! I remember thinking that crank sounded odd... And then it went straight to screaming! Needless to say I jumped like a rabbit and ran. The guy couldn't get it shut down and it continued to well faster than I've ever heard a 7.3 run. Until it came apart that is. It was a eye opening experience to say the least.

Speedwoble

Can confirm as I had this happen twice today. Trying to pull a tree out in low range and it just about stalled, I pushed in the clutch and noticed it running odd. Rpm slow, and would not respond to throttle to kill it. Also much quieter as the exhaust valve was not flapping. I didn’t realize what had happened until I saw exhaust out the intake. Quickly put it back into gear and held the brake to stall it. Startling to say the least. Happened again on the next pull, but I was able to recognize it quicker.

fasttruck

2 cycle Detroit diesels can be bought with either left or right hand rotation and existing engines can be changed from left to right hand rotation. Changes to the oil pump and some other internal parts are needed to do it. But 1 engine, to my knowledge cannot be reversed. Some marine engines, I believe are reversible. Many commuter and line haul buses with 2 cycle Detroits have left handed engines.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One exception to that spark ignited engines can't run backwards is the early 2 stroke gas golf carts. They ran the engine backwards to get reverse! I've only seen one and that one and it has since been sold due to issues.
Another was my first motorcycle, a 2-stroke. Naturally I had to mess with the timing on it, and just as naturally I was ready to take off like a bat out of ****, sitting first at a stoplight.
Much to my surprise, instead of gloriously taking off, I ended up hitting the car behind me.

Another Ahab

Another was my first motorcycle, a 2-stroke. Naturally I had to mess with the timing on it, and just as naturally I was ready to take off like a bat out of ****, sitting first at a stoplight.
Much to my surprise, instead of gloriously taking off, I ended up hitting the car behind me.
Simple solution to that problem, FLU farm, is to sit on the bike backwards.

Did you ever give that a try?

A.jpeg

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, I didn't, since it wasn't exactly an expected situation.

But thankfully the car behind me, a VW bug, was close enough that I avoided hitting the gas cap with my private parts.
Had to think quickly on that one, but convinced the bug's driver that he had hit me, since I didn't have a Reverse and he had four forward gears.

I'm sure he eventually figured out that he'd been had, but I got a few bucks from him to fix my license plate holder. He was on his own for his dented hood.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks