• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lord help me I've become a Goat Herder

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well since GSA has started selling Goats I had to pick one up. Well I'll pick it up in March when the snows melt in Idaho.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There will be some for sale in Lufkin any minute now!
Knowing my luck. Fortunately this one is about 60 miles from my Dad's house so I'm just going to have it towed there until the weather clears. Biggest problem going forward is that my trailer only has 3500lb axles on it so I'm maxed at 7k gross. I don't think I can pull enough off of the Goat to lighten it to the point of being doable. Wonder if the wife-unit would be upset with me buying a new trailer too?

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goats are so very neat and will go up and over or through just about anything and they are just very cool but good God they are loud, that little screaming Detroit gets old really fast!
KK

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wonder if the wife-unit would be upset with me buying a new trailer too?
Best trailer in the world for a deuce is a deckover equipment trailer.

Big enough to put a lot of stuff on it but small enough to comfortably pull.

IMAG0057 [800x600].jpgIMAG0056 [800x600].jpgIMAG0058 [800x600].jpgIMAG0059 [800x600].jpgIMAG0060 [800x600].jpgIMAG0083 [800x600].jpgIMAG1748800x600.jpgIMAG1749800x600.jpg

wsucougarx

Ahh man, did the auction end? I was going to see where they were and was thinking about pulling the trigger. I've got 3 locally that I've found on a guys farm. When I get some room I think I'll pay the guy a visit;-)

1958 M274

Looks like it might be a Marine Corps Gama Goat. It has a winch and what looks like the ammo can bracket on the passenger side center fender that goes with the M60 mount. All originally USMC M561s that I've seen have these features.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it might be a Marine Corps Gama Goat. It has a winch and what looks like the ammo can bracket on the passenger side center fender that goes with the M60 mount. All originally USMC M561s that I've seen have these features.
Well I guess I'll have to live with that. Maybe I can pretend it's a Corp vehicle that the Army borrowed. Seeing as the Marines "borrowed" our stuff all the time.

Keith_J

Best trailer in the world for a deuce is a deckover equipment trailer.

Big enough to put a lot of stuff on it but small enough to comfortably pull.

View attachment 538349View attachment 538348View attachment 538350View attachment 538351View attachment 538352View attachment 538353View attachment 538354View attachment 538355
I doubt he will pull it with his deuce from TX to ID and back again. This is looking like an awesome road trip but not that awesome. 50 mph for 1300 miles?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plan is to sell current 18' car hauler with 3500 lb axles and get a 20' with 5200 lb axles. Luckily I won't be going after it for a month or so.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yours looks to have some kind of ROPS over the cab, is that a brush truck thing, I never saw one with ROPS in the military.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yours looks to have some kind of ROPS over the cab, is that a brush truck thing, I never saw one with ROPS in the military.
Department of Lands or Forestry. Almost all of them at the auction had something similar (and all looked locally produced). I think it's more "overhead protection" than actual ROPS although it would probably help to some degree in a rollover.

Goat3.jpgGama Winch.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks