• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lord help me I've become a Goat Herder

Monkeyboyarmy

Oh I knew about many of the issues but still wanted one. The steering as it is now is not right. I know other people with Goats and there is something wrong somewhere I just need to figure out what it is. With what I have in this unit, including recovery costs, I could still probably double my money (easily) if I wanted to sell it.
If you deliver it, consider it sold .:smile:

Nice goat. And they stored it for you under roof for 6 plus years. Can't get any better than that.

AMGeneral

Ok,now that puter issues are fixed(thanks Drew),my pictures of the recovery.

BTW,I got Goat #2 running today!

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW,I got Goat #2 running today!
Glad to hear it's running. Any transmission issues like the ad posting said? Does it steer any better than mine?

I sure like the color of yours a whole lot better than the color of mine. Looks like your tires were better too.

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Glad to hear it's running. Any transmission issues like the ad posting said? Does it steer any better than mine?

I sure like the color of yours a whole lot better than the color of mine. Looks like your tires were better too.
I haven't detected any issues yet(just got it running today),It does seem to steer easier than the Morganton 561.

The engine was frozen(rust on the rings) as well as the clutch stuck to the flywheel on this Goat,some fogged in penetrating oil in the blower,and a little easing it back and forth in 6 HI,4th gear got the engine to loosten up as well as the clutch.

The injectors were another issue,#1 and #2 were OK(plungers and control rods moved) but #3 was stuck fast(plunger stuck down as well as the control rod stuck in the fuel off position).

2 days with the injector soaking in penetrating oil got both to loosten up,and I installed it this evening,checked the height and rack settings,and it fired up within 10 seconds cranking.

The tires on it are not as weather checked,but have less than 40% tread remaining.

It has a bit more body dings and dents,and will never be swimmable again,the tailgate is trashed,it was in the bed with about 500 lbs of scrap steel and wood.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the things discovered this afternoon on mine was that the right fuel tank is disconnected. Not sure why they put fuel in it but the connections inside the engine compartment aren't hooked up. I'm thinking I need to take the TMs and just start at the front tow hooks (which are missing) and start working my way back to see what's there, not there, working, and FUBAR'd. I'd like to get the brakes and steering figured out before our parade on Feb 7 but doubt that's going to happen.

Tornadogt

I am going to chime in a little late, It looks like you guys got some fun new toys/projects to keep busy.. I would like to see them in person some day... hint hint.

Congrats.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to chime in a little late, It looks like you guys got some fun new toys/projects to keep busy.. I would like to see them in person some day... hint hint.

Congrats.
You're more than welcome to come out and play. What do you know about complicated steering set ups? You can play as long as you like on that. Or I'm sure we can keep busy getting the brakes working :)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It...will never be swimmable again,the tailgate is trashed,it was in the bed with about 500 lbs of scrap steel and wood.
Mutt Parts has NOS tailgates for $150. Not sure how much shipping would be but that seems pretty reasonable for what it is. I'll probably get in touch with them since mine is trashed as well.

Motorcar

That's neat stuff Mark. I had a buddy at the railroad 25+ years ago that had one he would drive to work...when things got slow in the yard he would drive it accross all the yard tracks just for giggles, brings back fun memories.

m715mike

Neat Goats!

Green Goat.jpgYellow Goat.jpg

I know it's not just me, the paint job makes it look like a completely different vehicle! I like the yellow Goat, but I can't wait to see it after a paint job!

While it turns out it was in 6xLow that doesn't appear to be the whole issue with the steering. It was minutely better after I got it off the trailer but still horendous. Imagine a parked deuce in sticky mud and you try to turn the wheel sitting still. The wheels might move a fraction but not to the point you could call it steering. I'm going to check for any binding in the linkage and of course whether or not the gear boxes have oil. I'm already thinking of the John Deere Corn Head Grease upgrade.

Mark - Just a warning... Do not attempt to fill any part of an MV with John Deere Cornhead grease the night before a rally (especially if you do not have enough grease). This may lead to someone becoming stressed-out and not remembering to stop at an ATM for cash to buy parts being delivered to said rally... :whistle:

>> John Deere Cornhead grease + cheap Northern Tool grease gun = one very messy, stressed-out hobbyist!

I'm glad your trip went well, and congratulations on your new Goat!!! Thanks for sharing all of the pictures and dialogue!

AMGeneral

Ok,ya'll have me sufficiently scared enough that I am gonna drain and inspect the front steering box on this Goat tomorrow afternoon,either way,it's gonna get fresh 90wt to keep it steering as it should.

I did get a chance to check everything out this evening(filters,fluids,driveline) and I felt confident enough to take it on a drive around the yard.

Everything seemed to work as it should,I even managed to work it up to 3rd gear in HI,definetly different from driving a 5 ton!

I may test the winch tomorrow afternoon as well.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok,ya'll have me sufficiently scared enough that I am gonna drain and inspect the front steering box on this Goat tomorrow afternoon,either way,it's gonna get fresh 90wt to keep it steering as it should.

I did get a chance to check everything out this evening(filters,fluids,driveline) and I felt confident enough to take it on a drive around the yard.

Everything seemed to work as it should,I even managed to work it up to 3rd gear in HI,definetly different from driving a 5 ton!

I may test the winch tomorrow afternoon as well.
You're well ahead of me. I'm going to crawl under mine this morning and check to see if the idler arms are jammed up. That's easier than diving into the steering boxes on SuperBowl Sunday. The wife wanted to know if we could take it for a spin and I told her we could back down the driveway and then pull forward but that was it.

No sense in working on the brakes until I get the steering ironed out but hope to get started on them next week.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it doesn't appear to be an idler arm issue. I spoke with a knowledgable Goat person today who said it's likely water intrusion into the front gear box locking it up. I've been cleaning the area in the footwell to try and get a look at it but need a little more time to get to the point I won't be afraid contaminating the gear box.

I did change the right front tire as it's the one bleeding down the quickest. It is managable with one person but it would have been a whole lot easier with 2.

AMGeneral

I managed to clean the load of scrap out of the goat this afternoon after church,

1 punctured OTR truck fuel tank,1 was undamaged and salvageable,both with straps and mounts,straps and mounts as well as the punctured tank went in the scrap bin.

2 bolt on bed bows for a M548 tracked cargo carrier

Tailgate for the Goat itself in a very mangled state,I thought the tailgates on the Gama Goats were aluminum as well?This one appears to be steel(rusty).

I also checked the front winch operation,It works!

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I managed to clean the load of scrap out of the goat this afternoon after church,

1 punctured OTR truck fuel tank,1 was undamaged and salvageable,both with straps and mounts,straps and mounts as well as the punctured tank went in the scrap bin.

2 bolt on bed bows for a M548 tracked cargo carrier

Tailgate for the Goat itself in a very mangled state,I thought the tailgates on the Gama Goats were aluminum as well?This one appears to be steel(rusty).

I also checked the front winch operation,It works!
All the tail gates I have ever seen were both mangled and made of steel.

Don't scrap the 548 bows, those are super hard to find on the loose.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I have issues with GSA they are hands down the best at getting SF97 paperwork out (at least the GA headquarters). The sale ended on 1/23, paperwork is dated 1/24 (a Saturday), and it was in my mailbox 1/31. GL and GovPlanet could only dream of those turn around times. Now off to the tax office to make their heads explode.

Keith_J

Heads explode? After last week, they should be relieved. Line was around the lobby, out the door and to the sidewalk. Property tax deadline...

Any more digging into steering issues? I need a break from drywall, I could tug the generator over to fire up the heater.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks