• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-831a Troubleshooting

Marcellojuarez17

Yes, please help guys.i was find of this generator.im an over the road trucker .all I want is to run an 8 k to 10 watt btu ac unit,so that I can shut down my motor.i don't know what you mean by the bottom lugs.
I ran the AC unit to the standard plugs but it the AC ran for 10 min and then the breaker shut off.
So are you suggesting that I run copper wire from the bottom ports? I'm confused!

Marcellojuarez17

Yes .I can bring it to efland. I'm more of an hands on guy.i can learn better like that. tell me what supplies I need to buy ,so I can have them with me! Thanks for the reply guys.it means a lot to me.i was so disappointed in this .I was going to list it back on eBay to try to get my money back.

Cord

The picture I posted shows the setup. You'll need the following:

3' 12-4 SOOW cable. Make the cable longer to put the outlet where needed.
(1) 3/4" strain relief sized for above cable
(1) double gang exterior box
(2) GFI outlets
(1) double gang exterior in use cover
(4) 1/4" x 1" bolts, lock nuts & washers for mounting the box.

Home Depot will carry everything on my list.

Cord

Its pretty simple. You use a spring scale and adjust the magnet to get a pull-off force of 4 lbs +\- 0.25 lbs.

disconnect the governor rod from the governor bracket and use that hole to connect the scale.
I figured it was that easy, but they talk up the magnet setting enough that I was questioning it's simplicity. Back when I bought the unit somebody had messed with the governor screws and with the new controller I couldn't find the sweet spot where the controller had enough strength to lift the target, yet the magnet was strong enough to capture the target upon shutdown. Adjusting the horizontal screw put enough lift on the governor arm to pick the target off the magnet.

I can't say enough nice things about Kurt Klopps controllers. My set has never run as well as it does now. Plus it'll actually pick up a 3500 watt surge now. Never would do that before!

Marcellojuarez17

I will be on the road for 2 weeks .when I get back to n.c. .I will take a week off .I will buy all the supplies I need that (cord ) suggested ,so that I can be prepared.i will try to get back at you again.thanks for your advice.all of you guys have been helpful.om glad I found this forum!!?

Guyfang

Staff member
I will be on the road for 2 weeks .when I get back to n.c. .I will take a week off .I will buy all the supplies I need that (cord ) suggested ,so that I can be prepared.i will try to get back at you again.thanks for your advice.all of you guys have been helpful.om glad I found this forum!!?
Perhaps what you need to do before getting started, it to download the TM's and read them. It makes it much easier to explain things to you.

Marcellojuarez17

I bought all the items.
Receptacle are as follows
L1 ,L2 , neutral,ground.
I have a four wire 12'4 as indicated.
I need to know what color goes to where.
My line has a
Red
Black
White
Green

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Standard wiring convention is to use RED and BLACK for load, WHITE for neutral, and GREEN as ground.

This might be a little late in the process to ask but what is your experience with wiring of this type? Are you comfortable with doing residential power wiring?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the oil pressure light is on you will not get any control power. Nothing will work. The hour meter will not work. While its running with the oil light on click the start/run switch off and back on quickly enough that the engine doesn't shut down.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Took two days but I just read every post on this thread. Should help me get my unit running right. Waiting on some parts to come in. I started my own thread like I did with my MEP-802A. Thank you everyone for all the information posted on here. Lot to digest!

uworkj

Thank you for the good information on the electrical connections.

I am new to this forum. I just figured out how to find the picture. I like the setup.

What are you doing for overload protection on the outlets?

Jimmy

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks