• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-831a Troubleshooting

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I was working under a schedule I would for sure do that. Since I'm unemployed and otherwise bored, tinkering on the generator the last couple of days has been a welcome project to concentrate on.

I really appreciate all the great info.

Do you know of any trouble spots to keep an eye on with these generators or recommend any spare parts to keep on hand?

I have to figure out a battery solution for this thing.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some crappy cellphone pics of the battery and battery tray. There is plenty of room to go taller with the battery.

20150123_090320[1].jpg20150123_085931.jpg20150123_090114.jpg20150123_090238.jpg20150123_090245.jpg20150123_090258.jpg

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is just a tad over that, I'd call it 7-3/8ths. The battery fits snug enough that once you put it in there it won't fall off.

I found a drawing for the battery that has the exact dimensions. I also found a reference source that has a lot of battery sizing info. I'm looking through that to see if there is something of interest.

stylespilotshop_2277_279136853.jpg

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The battery reference doesn't include many of the motorcycle batteries. So far one of the best fits I've found is for the one I posted the link from Amazon. I may go ahead and order a set of those and see how they work.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went through the batteries on Yuasa's battery chart and it looks like a pair of YTX20L-BS is the largest battery that will fit.

Dimensions: 6.875" x 3.4375" x 6.125"

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to drop in a pair of those batteries and see how it works. I went out this morning and started it for kicks. It took 3 pulls f it to light off. Easier than my push mower. Maybe I should put a yanmar diesel on that!?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update for today. The replacement connector body for J7 arrived today and I transferred all the pins from the old one to the new one. I replaced the pin for the B+ lead and dropped into the connector. Checked continuity and off it went. One problem down. Since I didn't have a crimper I decided to solder the wire. I know its not the best practice to do in a high vibration application. I'll cross my fingers that the solder joint doesn't fail. The new pins had a strain relief so I did get a good crimp on that which should help take the pressure off the solder a bit.

I checked on the fuel sender. When I peaked at it through the top I could see 3 wires landed on the center stud. There should have been only one. I took them off and isolated the wire that went to the gauge and put it on the post. I landed the other two wires under one of the screws for the fuel sender. The fuel level gauge now works.

I tweaked the magnet on the speed control arm a little bit so it would shut down more reliably. About half the time as it was shutting down the magnet would release the arm and it would just idle really low without shutting down.

Getting closer.

Last edited:

Dewie38

How did you tweak the magnet?
There is a very specific adjustment procedure for the governing system on these sets.
If the adjustments aren't made properly then the variable speed concept of these sets will be no good.
The speed increases with load so the more load you have the faster the engine turns.
The procedure is in the TM, if you don't have the TM I could send you a copy of the governing system procedure.
If you maladjusted the magnet then the procedure will do you no good and you wont get the full benefits of the variable speed concept of the set.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be great. I've found the operating manuals online for it but I've not found a real technical manual with setup procedures.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some many little things that seem to be off on this unit I has made me wonder if it was put together this way as some kind of a training system to test technicians on how to troubleshoot and repair them. :)

My goal is to have it running as close to specification as possible.

Dewie38

I can bet most of the people that have these sets don't have the variable speed setup properly.
If you didn't adjust the magnet it self then I can help, but if you adjusted the magnet then I can't.
I'll dig out the procedure later today and send to you.
Do you have a source of 3 kW load?

Dewie38

If you don't have the governing system set up properly then you wont get the full benefits of the set (fuel consumption, wear and tear on the engine, maintenance and such)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks