• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another way to lower an M1101/M1102

drivebymashing

I dont think you can really put more than 2k in one stock. Ive loaded my 105 with an insane amount of weight. Ill load mine up and weigh it and see where the tires go.

drivebymashing

Ok the heaviest load I hauled was a stack of lumber 16 feet long. The tail was wagging the dog like crazy. I couldnt go over 25mph. Ok good to know it will handle 3k.

Csm Davis

Ok the heaviest load I hauled was a stack of lumber 16 feet long. The tail was wagging the dog like crazy. I couldnt go over 25mph. Ok good to know it will handle 3k.
The problem with that load was the balancing the center of mass was on the tailgate, bad loading. The center of mass should always be over or slightly forward of the axle. They will handle more than 3000 lbs but it is not good for it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
As with all military trailers.

I've had a multifuel in a can(3100ish lbs) in an M101. It handled it, but didn't like it.

DeadParrot

I see a consensus that they are the same. It would be interesting to see inside the axle. Only a few inches would change the rating and it's in a spot that cannot be seen. I wonder if the manufacturer says they are the same. I understand the reasoning, re the tow vehicle authorization.
The axle on my 1101 has a rating plate on it indicating a max load of 4200lbs while the trailer plate shows 3400lbs.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The axle on my 1101 has a rating plate on it indicating a max load of 4200lbs while the trailer plate shows 3400lbs.
The plate on mine is painted over and I can't scrape it off. Glad to hear the 1101 has a higher rating, I'm putting a Geithner S788 shelter on mine and mounting tubes under it, making it longer on both ends for a camper build. It might get heavy.

1stDeuce

Yes just temporaily Im not using it like that. I will drill all the way through and bolt through frame rail before i use it. It would probably be fine the way it is. I just want it as strong or stronger than factory. I just wanted to make sure tires didnt rub. There is still 2 inches inside wheel well.
I like what you've done!!

FYI, the rail you are talking about drilling up through is steel, not aluminum, and it's pretty thick... I think I'd just drill and tap it for two 1/2" bolts per side and call it good.

Y'all have to remember, these trailers are rated to haul their max payload off road, going as fast as a HMMWV can manage... As compared to a commercial trailer designed to be pulled down a road of some sort, by a road going vehicle, they are way overbuilt!

And you can toss the shocks, since the tires will squash more than the suspension will move with only a few thousand pounds in it. I put zip ties on the shock shafts, then beat mine pretty hard with about 2000lbs in it. Didn't hardly move the zip ties 1/2". Wouldn't surprise me if these axles had the same rubber as a normal 8k axle!

drivebymashing

Good to know The shocks weigh a ton for these things. You are right That tube is thick. I havent done any more with it. It looks pretty good lowered to me. Way more usable.

djglover7

I know this is a late reply but I just bought an M1102 and I want to consider this mod.

Q: The vertical sheet that the ends if the axle pass through (see pic #3), does all the material need to be removed?
It would be easier if only the axle slot needs to be cut out (and holes drilled).

Q: Without a plasma cutter, what is the best way to cut through that thick aluminum?

djglover7

The upper portion of the notch would have to be removed. To raise the axle.

What I was referring to was all the other material on either side of the notch.

Once this is done, there is no reversal.

djglover7

Forum,

I am getting ready to purchase wheel adapters to go from M1102 8x6.5 to GM 8x180mm.

Question I have is; what is the M1102 hub center ring diameter? I think it is supposed to be 126.1mm.

Dennis in Texas

maineoffroad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hello there i just wanted to thank you for posting this i just picked up m1101 and did this mod and it worked great i used a jig saw and it also work great as well
so thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks