• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding Cruise Control to C7

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is the connection to the brake light switch? Shouldn't the cruise disengage when you hit the brake? Otherwise thanks for the info!

wehring

Crimper part number is 1U-5804 and it is $400

NDT,
Don't know about the BLS activation. Crimper and connectors arrive Mon. Will mount switches and run wires then call the Cat tech out to program the cruise. Will know more after he makes the visit.

Justin

snowtrac nome

its all inside the ecm there is a brake input for the ecm and transmission operation no need for external wires. for speed sensor or brakes. also the cruise will also become an electronic hand throttle to idle the truck up.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did this on my CAT 3126 last year and I did wire it up to a brake light switch.
If the ECM has a brake input I never came across it doing all of my research and it would Not turn off the cruise when I hit the brakes prior to hooking up to the brake light switch. Also here is a ”Warning” the fact that it’s connected to a brake light switch it also will not work if you don’t have your service lights or stop lights on. And the pin for the ecm are like a $1 each from cat and you don’t need a $400 crimp tool if you now how to solder.

snowtrac nome

I should qualify this as I'm going off how our kenworths are I think the newer c7 lmtv's also use the usb system. I know for a fact your older 3126 has an ecm and tcm that really don't talk to each other. The military may have opted out of some of the safeties that the civilian market has installed in the programing. on our civilian market the trans wont shift to gear if the brake isn't applied park break released and air pressure is up. my 95 doesn't care I can select a gear than release the parking brake and go.

coachgeo

I should qualify this as I'm going off how our kenworths are I think the newer c7 lmtv's also use the usb system. I know for a fact your older 3126 has an ecm and tcm that really don't talk to each other. The military may have opted out of some of the safeties that the civilian market has installed in the programing. on our civilian market the trans wont shift to gear if the brake isn't applied park break released and air pressure is up. my 95 doesn't care I can select a gear than release the parking brake and go.
95 would be a 3116 thus no engine computer?? granted you know your stuff more than most..... so is yours one with an upfitted engine.... or that a miss type? More than likely am misreading what you typed lol. My 96 (non ecm) pretty sure won't let it engage gear if air pressure is not up. If it is up.... will allow put in gear even if neither brake applied .... if one is applied; brake just stops it from moving.

deshet

Did the cruise control setup work? What was your total costs? Can somethings be pulled from a Cat truck?
I messed around with low speed cruise with the handle throttle but would not use that at high speed.

Thanks

snowtrac nome

no not a misprint on the commercial trucks they are loaded with safety's and imput's the Allison computer wont let you select a gear until air pressure is built up parking brake is released engine speed is at idle and your brake is on. only than you can select a gear. my 95 I can slap it in gear than release the brake. its just me but I hate stepping on the brake pedal to go into gear.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My cruise works perfectly and make long distance travel a pleasure. Along with the hi speed gears, AC, and tinted widows.
My cost because I do all the research and work is minimal. ECM pins $19, ECM diagram and pin locations free with lots of research, wire from ECM to dash shielded 18 gauge 6 conductor with a couple left over wires $10, cruise on off switch and cruise set / resume switch $70(very hard to find the ones that match but any switches could work), CAT programming $100-500, I group a lot of profaning into one trip. Which included a new ECM, turning cruise options on, change speedometer ratio for new gears so the speedometer shows proper speed, increased HP from 275 to 330. My total for that CAT bill was way more primarily because of new ECM.

deshet

I still can't lift my cab.
My truck was built in 1998 and rebuilt in 2006.
During the rebuild process is it standard to keep the same engine model and is the cruise control straight forward for all of these?

My trucks gets to 58-62 on the phone gps...only 55 on the gauge but it takes a lot of effort to keep the pedal mashed.

Thanks

coachgeo

So can cruise be added to the A0 3116?
appears there is two main options in the aftermarket made to fit the CAT.. Some at auction sites that are more universal and mention mechanical diesels. Kruisecontrolking seems to get the most mentions to handle the stiff throttle and vibrations... but it better for the cost.... up to 600 bucks for kit. others are significantly less....

http://www.cruisecontrolking.com/

Last edited:

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm working on buttons mounted on the steering wheel. I found a good solution that can easily be mounted on the steering wheel. The steering wheel buttons send the inputs wireless to a receiver. The receiver sends the commands to the ECM. ( Same as a swich would do it ). I'm working on a module now that converts the inputs of the receiver to commands that can be send to the ECM. This requires designing a PCB and programming a micro-controller. Fun stuff to do. If anybody is interested in this let me know.

Dave21

[FONT=&quot]I have a 2007 M1078 A1R with a cat C7. I haven't taking off the harness side connector yet . I'm adding a picture of the connector. I have been told this the right connector layout .[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] if you could let me know if this is correct I'd appreciate it and if not could you give me the layout of the connector that you use .[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Thanks[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Dave V[/FONT]

coachgeo

I have a 2007 M1078 A1R with a cat C7. I haven't taking off the harness side connector yet . I'm adding a picture of the connector. I have been told this the right connector layout .
if you could let me know if this is correct I'd appreciate it and if not could you give me the layout of the connector that you use .
Thanks
Dave V
No picture came thru

scottmandu

Did the cruise control setup work? What was your total costs? Can somethings be pulled from a Cat truck?
I messed around with low speed cruise with the handle throttle but would not use that at high speed.
Thanks
If you have a hand throttle you do not have a C7 and cannot use this method to add cruise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks