• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 power steering owners Opinion: Donor box or Char-Lynn steering assist unit best?

61sleepercab

I am trading for a M109 truck and I have to add power steering and relocate the stock steering wheel for room to operate the pedals. I cannot afford a all in one power steering kit but have traded for the multifuel power steering pump, housing and drive gear. The Deuce has a tight original steering box.
I want to know from owners who have put power steering on their Deuces:

Did you like a donor steering box setup or a Char-lynn torque amplifier unit placed in the original steering shaft? How did your rig steer and did you change steering alignment? Thanks for your input. Mark

Jeepsinker

Slop or not, the factory deuce steering box is the weakest link in the steering system and is somewhat prone to stripping out. Add hydraulic input into it and it will make it even more subject to failure. It was never designed for a lot of input pressure.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed Tom's Waterloo Specialties power steering kit and LOVE IT! I used a rebuilt steering box from a company in Texas recommended by Tom, the install went well and it really makes the Deuce fun to drive (especially since it's very difficult to steer at slow speeds with the stock "Armstrong" steering while running 395 tires/MRAP wheels). The smaller steering wheel makes a BIG DIFFERENCE, especially after I converted from a soft top to a hard top (my aftermarket bucket seats now rub on the rear cab window frame).

61sleepercab

Thanks for the info and input. I am trading a 5 ton for a M109with box shell. I have a MKT field kitchen and need some way to provide triple bowl sinks and hot water for food service. I plan to add some cabinets up front of the box and leave the rear clear for hauling, cooking??? . I may add a box mounted tommy lift for rear access and a back porch. I am 6 foot plus and have a bad shoulder so Armstrong steering is no no. I have the mulifuel power steering pump and access to some donor boxes. So power steering is in my future.

dmetalmiki

The air power kit works perfectly well, even at standstill and is an easy fit. move the seat back completely. Lift the steering column if needed by re drilling the mount bolts on the bulkhead.(makes for more room), Good luck with your quest.

M-1028

You could run a steering servo, but you would have to mount a hydraulic ram for assist. Keep the stock box and steering, servo goes inline and powers a ram for assist. Probably a little less work than mounting a box.

knipex

M35a3 power steering

Will the Saginaw 710ih box work on M35a3? If not what would work? I have a torque generator on input side of manual steering box. Sketchy at best. Would like to install real power steering since I use it for snow plowing.

knipex

Where's the best place to find a Saginaw 710IH? I notice in your post 250 hydraulic power kits sold. What do they go for and are they for the duece? I definitely want to step up to real power steering when the weather breaks. I have some 5 tons, most guys with CDL's are to good to drive 5 tons. They need all the comforts of a modern truck. Eldersburg is not that far from me.

oboyjohn

Up here in Canada, all of our Deuces had power steering installed at the factory. The steering box was made by TRW Ross gear division, model HFB52. The steering column was the same as the American version, if my memory is correct. You will need a special mounting plate on the outside of the frame and a re-enforcement plate on the inside. I have taken pictures of these plates and posted them on another thread with measurements. Good luck with your upgrade!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks