• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A and MEP-803A fuel consumption

jimbo913

It is nicer than the 803A I am looking at but the 803 is really a very close second. Its a tough decision which way to go. Well maybe not too difficult because with the 803A there is no chance I would end up underpowered.

Last edited:

Glockfan

In my opinion, $4k is a bit rich for an 802. While they cost $12700 new folks are buying them from GL for less than $2k to $2500 in the same condition. Hold out for a deal is my advice.

Ratch

Aside from the exhaust manifold, that unit is *clean*. Did I mention the exhaust manifold really bothers me and looks like more hours, though? If the hours are accurate, $4k is certainly on the high side, but probably worthwhile if you never buy another genny again.
But I also think $4000 is fair for a medium hours 803, and $2500-$3000 for a medium hours 802. I don't think they're worth more than that without a good paper trail or manufacturer support, and parts still being fairly expensive. New stuff breaks, too. Stuff doesn't always get fixed. Stuff doesn't always get fixed properly.

Government contracts might as well be written on a slice of ham. There's no reason to think these gennies would retail brand new anywhere near $13000 if the government contract didn't exist, or the overall quality would be better without military-specific need constraints. Fedzilla only pays that because they know I'll have another paycheck next week that they can reach into.

jimbo913

The guy that is selling it got it off GL and took the risk. Not sure I will ever deal with GL so will have to pay a certian premium. As for the exhaust, my opinion is that it is an unpainted surface and would rust and to me looks normal?

Still not sure what to do just yet. If I knew the 802 could handle a surge of 8000-8500 for my well pump to kick on without dropping voltage while running other loads I would probably get an 802 over 803. I can get a low hour 803 <100hr for 5000-5300.

decisions decisions.

Ratch

Not necessarily, I have some diesel gensets at work that are in very dry environments and still have grey exhaust manifolds after several hundred load hours.
Unpainted, heated cast iron will rust fast around moisture, like outdoor, but I've seen newer ones coming painted, and much higher hours still not rusted. The rust is not a problem, just a little sign that it may have been run longer than the meter says. It probably means nothing, I have one with 1 hour but is 13 years old, and it's manifold is rusted. But I'd note it and look further when on site to check it out.
The shine bugs me more. It's usually not shiny.

jimbo913

You could be onto something that didn't register with me because I always spray my equipment with WD-40 to displace moisture and it looks just like that.

jimbo913

Did the military rebuild engines or just replace them? Just curious if an engine was replaced would the engine identification plate have a date on it?

jamawieb

Did the military rebuild engines or just replace them? Just curious if an engine was replaced would the engine identification plate have a date on it?
The answer is both, it would matter where the unit was located and how fast they needed back in service. If it is refurbished, it should have a refurbish id plate on the motor.

jimbo913

There is an id plate just not sure what it says based on photo. Did new motors have id plate too? It is near the bottom of the block.

jamawieb

There is an id plate just not sure what it says based on photo. Did new motors have id plate too? It is near the bottom of the block.
Yes they did. I have not seen an original motor have an id tag. They usually always put the id tags on refurbished and new engine that were made for replacement.

jimbo913

Government over pays for everything because its not their money they spend. Too many people think they are worth what the original tag said.
8 hours is considered used. May look like new but is used. Try driving a car off the lot, go cruising for 8 hours and then trade it in one time.
it is worth what you can get someone to pay for it in the time-frame you have to sell it and that price will vary by region. You are pretty close to an area where they are often plentiful on the auction market.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a never issued MEP-802A. Mine is a 2010 with 8hrs . The government paid $12,800 ea for these. I've been trying to come up with a fair price to sell it for.
If those are the ones listed on craigslist they look really nice. In my opinion something in the range of $3k will be what will move them in this area. $3k is what I invested for my MEP003a including its trailer.

rustystud

Government over pays for everything because its not their money they spend. Too many people think they are worth what the original tag said.
8 hours is considered used. May look like new but is used. Try driving a car off the lot, go cruising for 8 hours and then trade it in one time.
it is worth what you can get someone to pay for it in the time-frame you have to sell it and that price will vary by region. You are pretty close to an area where they are often plentiful on the auction market.
Exactly jimbo. The government will pay over $400.00 for a hammer, while I can buy a hammer that will last a lifetime for $30.00.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks