• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

37" Humvee Spare Tire?

welpro222

Let see how you guys are carrying your spare tires if your using the heavy Humvee 37" tires. I need some ideas on where to mount mine. I am thinking of reenforcing and modifying a k5 tire carrier and using it on my Suburban.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, which vehicle do you want to see where the spares are?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How would a pic of how mine is mounted in my M1008 help you?

Also, try to post in the correct forums.

Also, did you search before posting? Look below...

goldneagle

I used a HMMWV spare tire carrier on my M1008. But it would not work the same on a M1009 since the bumpers are different.

Skinny

That is a very trick setup for your spare!

I think most of the threads out there currently leave a lot to be desired. I think a "show us your tire carrier" style thread would be a good idea regardless of what type of truck its on as long as its a C/K or R/V straight axle platform the info would be useful for anyone looking to buy or fab one up.

Of course I believe in double rainbows and internet truth so your mileage may vary...

Chaski

I'm also shopping for ideas for my pickup and my buddies M1008. Trying to load up a tire with a runflat is a back killer. My back bumper already weighs 300 pounds by itself, so I don't want to do a swing away carrier. I might make it mount to a headache rack, but some sort of loading assist would be cool.

goldneagle

I'm also shopping for ideas for my pickup and my buddies M1008. Trying to load up a tire with a runflat is a back killer. My back bumper already weighs 300 pounds by itself, so I don't want to do a swing away carrier. I might make it mount to a headache rack, but some sort of loading assist would be cool.
THe HMMWV tire carrier has a manual winch on it for raising and lowering the tire.

Attachments

welpro222

The Humvee tire carrier looks good, but it cost more then I paid for the tires and wheels. I may just fabricate one myself somehow, on my rear bumper.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1009: Mine lays horizontal on the floor behind the back seat. Its just the tire, no wheel. Inside the tire I keep the tow strap, jumper cables, tiedown straps, air hose, all that kind stuff that get stored in a coil. A round igloo-type ice chest goes in the hole in the middle. After making sure that I really could change a tire in the field without taking the wheel off the vehicle, I don't carry a spare wheel anymore.

Last edited:

badassissimo

M1009: Mine lays horizontal on the floor behind the back seat. Its just the tire, no wheel. Inside the tire I keep the tow strap, jumper cables, tiedown straps, air hose, all that kind stuff that get stored in a coil. A round igloo-type ice chest goes in the hole in the middle. After making sure that I really could change a tire in the field without taking the wheel off the vehicle, I don't carry a spare wheel anymore.
Teach me your ways

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure tire is completely deflated,
remove the 8 bolts of the outer wheel ring,
remove the wheel ring, but leave the wheel on the vehicle,
remove the 4 bolts that holds the runflat together,
take the run flat halves out,
pull the tire straight off,
reverse assembly with the spare tire,
inflate to 30 psi with the CO2 tank.

goldneagle

Make sure tire is completely deflated,
remove the 8 bolts of the outer wheel ring,
remove the wheel ring, but leave the wheel on the vehicle,
remove the 4 bolts that holds the runflat together,
take the run flat halves out,
pull the tire straight off,
reverse assembly with the spare tire,
inflate to 30 psi with the CO2 tank.
Most of the run-flats I've seen for the HMMWV tires are solid rubber with no bolts.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, mine are magnesium, four 9/16 inch bolts hold them together. Cut the diameter down with a bandsaw so can air down to 5 psi and retain the beadlock feature. The machinist did that for free because he likes to play with magnesium chips in the fire. Worked for me.

Last edited:

badassissimo

Oh, mine are magnesium, four 9/16 inch bolts hold them together. Cut the diameter down with a bandsaw so can air down to 5 psi and retain the beadlock feature. The machinist did that for free because he likes to play with magnesium chips in the fire. Worked for me.
I'll have to add this to my Christmas list. I just have standard rims. The "M1009" caught my eye so I got interested in believing I encountered a superhero power.

I've seen some people use a tire iron to take a flat tire off, put a new one on, light some gas from inside the tire for inflation and remount. It's not that great of an idea for the tire though from what I understand and a dummy (like me) could mess up the rim.

Bout how much does the run flat go for?

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen the run flats go for as cheap as free to as high as $50 each. Most guys throw them away because they start working when you get down to about 15 psi, that is, the tire is held up structurally by the runflat inside and starts chewing up the tire from inside out. Thats why I had mine reduced. When you put the tire together the bead is set, no no explosive bead setting required, just air up. Ping my PM and I'll send pix. I cannot get this site interface to host my pix either from this computer, two other ones, or from another host site.

KansasBobcat

Wow! I didn't know there were many still running the magnesium runflats. It speaks well of the design that they work in noncombat situations. I have 2 sets that I have removed from HMMWVs and plan to use on M1101/2 trailers.

86M10086.2L

I ran 8 bolt HMMWV wheels with the magnesium run flats for years. Until i replaced my M1008 with the M1009. Check my avatar pic. If the 8 bolts weren't limited to bias ply tires only. (because I never found a low pressure off road tread radial tire) I'd say it was the only way to go. 4 bolts, no fuss. The rubber run flats suck. Unless you like wrestling with them and ratchet straps to fit them into the tire. But what you do in your spare time is your business.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks