• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Water Pump for Replacement?

The Baron

I have a 1984 M1009. My water pump has started leaking and I am trying to find a replacement pump. From what I have read it seems most people have had pretty bad luck with the after market pumps sold by all the big parts stores like Autozone, Napa, and O'rielly's. Have any of you guys used any pumps from any of those places and what is your opinion on the matter? Also are Ac Delco parts still considered OEM? If not are they any good? On rock auto they show 252611 and 251591 being pumps for the Blazer. The price difference is $100 and I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between the two. Sorry for the large amount of questions, I just don't want to buy a piece of crap and have to do this all again anytime soon. Thanks.

rlltide12

I have been running parts house brand (A1 Cardone) water pumps on all my vehicles for as long as I can remember. Knock on wood, I don't have a complaint out of them yet. If you are eating up WPs then you have a problem somewhere else.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most parts chains are selling new water pumps as cheap as rebuilt where.

A/1 cardone is a quality aftermarket rebuilder but their business has taken quite a hit with all the products available new cheaper than rebuilt like starters, alt, water pumps etc. Industry is evolving and rebuilts anything are going away.

Airtex is a good new brand that was mostly USA but like everything else has had to adapt to the CHINA influx.

AC delco is not what you think anymore. They are also overseas sourced and not always the OE part you think they are.

In a nut shell, any new water pump bought at a parts store with a lifetime warranty will serve you well. The one you buy at NAPA or AutoZone or O'reillys etc.. is most likely the same one in a different branded box. There are very few aftermarket manufacturing companies out there and they are all supplying the same thing to everyone.

The Baron

I like the fact that it is made in the USA and I would be willing to pay a little more for that, but $200 seems a little high. Would you say these pumps are significantly better than a Chinese one I would buy at an Autozone?

cucvrus

NO. The last one I bought at Autozone was made in Mexico and has been running for 5 years. It was a new not rebuilt and came warranted for life. My opinion good deal.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the fact that it is made in the USA and I would be willing to pay a little more for that, but $200 seems a little high. Would you say these pumps are significantly better than a Chinese one I would buy at an Autozone?
They probably been sitting in a warehouse for 20 years and with the seals getting hard.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Peninsular Diesel HO Water Pump. 108 output vs 80 stock. Nuf said!
Peninsular Diesel went bankrupt last year. If I were you I would get one of those OEM units from Eastern Surplus. Or if you want/need more flow, spend a few extra bucks and get a FlowKooler. That’s what I installed on my P400. Just my 2 cents.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember that you need a clockwise rotation for a V-belt system (as viewed from the front of the engine). Serpentine belt systems use counter-clockwise pumps.

butterbean

I must have been lucky enough to get a Peninsular CW rotation pump just before they went under. Ive read another company bought all their remaining stock. Maybe they will continue to offer them.

CUCV18series

Peninsular is called Unique Diesel now. I spoke to the salesman over there about 3-4 months ago. According to him they had just received a new shipment of 109GPM V-belt water pumps. IIRC, they were being sold for somewhere in the ballpark of $200.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks