• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M561 Gama Goat

Keith_J

An M37 radiator has the hose fittings in the wrong places and angles. But it will work as the engine will not see a load. A heater core would work. But not going up US 281 @ 55 MPH ;)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And if he had done a painting of a Goat-engine-radiator-test-rig-done-in-the-southern-style, that's what it would have looked like....right? ;)

Cheers

Another Ahab

And if he had done a painting of a Goat-engine-radiator-test-rig-done-in-the-southern-style, that's what it would have looked like....right?

Cheers
It's good that we have the resident talent, such as M813rc here as one of many Art Historians!

Thank you, M813rc.

We are blessed here at SS with the endless skills of our membership. :)

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok I can't find a video version of Alvin Lee's "Detroit Diesel" but if you know the song just hum along "You got me running like a Detroit Diesel..." STAND BY!!

Keith_J

Oh, yeah. It runs. Started on second pull, needed fuel priming. Then it ran but sluggish throttle. After a few seconds, throttle response was normal. Then we ran it to thermostat opened and released the clog of rust. Then we ran it some more to make sure it wasn't leaking. I did my subjective taste test of the air box drain oil, not a hint of coolant. I can tell when a Martini has too much Vermouth so I am calibrated :) James Bond calibrated.

Another Ahab

Oh, yeah. It runs. Started on second pull, needed fuel priming. Then it ran but sluggish throttle. After a few seconds, throttle response was normal. Then we ran it to thermostat opened and released the clog of rust. Then we ran it some more to make sure it wasn't leaking. I did my subjective taste test of the air box drain oil, not a hint of coolant. I can tell when a Martini has too much Vermouth so I am calibrated James Bond calibrated.
Was the drain oil:

- Shaken? Or

-Stirred!?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting it running was the easy part. Now the fun begins.

One interesting note between the original motor and the new one is that they disconnected the 24v from running through the cannon plug (on original) and routed it through the relocated bus bar to the starter. They actually took the connectors out of the plug even and filled it in with silicone. We'll be maintaining that on the new engine.

Keith_J

Was the drain oil:

- Shaken? Or

-Stirred!?
All straight weight OE-HD30, not a hint of Vermouth ;(

On a serious note, the air box drain also handles piston oil drain back. When a 2 stroke diesel stops, a piston can be far above the intake port. Any oil on the side of the intake window can drain back into the air box. This is why the air box has a drain, along with any water which can condense out of the intake air since the blower offers a bit of supercharging.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks