• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV vs 5 TON

bigbe5678

Hi Everyone I'm thinking of buying my first 5 Ton or LMTV I'm leaning to the LMTV because I think it a little smaller and living 20 miles north of Manhattan NY I may not have a zoning issue Which is better quality and obtaining parts Thanks again Mike

hklvette

M939s don't have much in the way of electronics to break, so there's that. I've never been in or driven an LMTV, but I know others here have and can speak to the benefits of one over the other. Personally, I like my 8.3-powered 5T.

dawico

M939s don't have much in the way of electronics to break, so there's that. I've never been in or driven an LMTV, but I know others here have and can speak to the benefits of one over the other. Personally, I like my 8.3-powered 5T.
I love my 5 ton also and haven't been in a LMTV either. My truck is pretty easy and cheap to work on.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get your quotes on insurance and registration and let that help you decide. Don"t turn this into a thread about those topics! The LMTV is a somewhat light truck with a 23,000 GVW, while the 5 ton is more like 45,000. Which more suits your preferences?

Gunzy

The M939 series is going to cost a lot less to aquire and maintain in operation. The LMTV/FMTV family can be costly just to get one and if you have any problems it will suck on ALL of your bank accounts. But that is my oppinion.

10Lugger

I'm a new LMTV owner here. I have been looking and wanting to buy a nice 5 ton and bob it for over a year, but could never get what I wanted locally. The LMTV's caught my attention in a auction a year ago in Ft Drum, but none of them ran, however they did go for well over 12K if I remember right (not running). There has been what I consider as a over abundance in sales of LMTV's and the price has come down exponentially. Now I'm glad we waited. The family really likes this beast. I had to DE-mileratize the look of it because it will be used commercially. It was a breeze to title, insure, and the wife took the kid to school in it this week. It was 8 degrees here this morning, and it fired off with no assistance. My only issue to mention is it bleeds air down over night and has to build back up upon start, but that's quick (2 MIN ).
My biggest recommendation is to have a someone that is knowledgeable check out your potential unit before you buy/bid on one.
We bought out of Ga. and are very, very pleased with the contact we made through this site and personal attention a member here
helped us with our purchase. Some Great people here!

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3116's are pretty stout engines from what I've read. I have a M35A3, same engine AFAIK. Just wish I had a transmission like the LMTV.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We've heard horror stories about the LMTVs from troops saying they liked the m939s a lot better. From what I understand they fixed the lmtv issues. The 5 ton will be cheaper to get parts for. Its basically how deep your pockets are.

61sleepercab

I would suggest a test drive of both to see which one floats your boat. I have a M925 and have had a M35 . 5 ton easier to drive with automatic and full air brakes.
LMTV look interesting and cat makes good motors. Mark

VSR

M923 vs M1083 MTV

Hello!

Im from Canada and I check for buy a big 6x6 truck for weekend road trip and off road! I have a Humvee but I realy want a bigger truck but I have no idea what is the best between the M923-939 or the MTV Stewart M1083... No body have this truck here in my country and I need help for take my decision! It sure the 923 have more parts on the market (AMG) made in USA! But it is more fun to drive a MTV?? And on off road the M923 are better or...? It have locker diff or not?

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The lmtv is more street able. Either one is great for carrying a big heavy load down a dry dirt road. The lmtv has more creature comforts and the cab heater is better. A few of the m939 trucks had lockers. None available for LMTVs.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took my M925A2 to show some friends at a federal maintance Facility for army vehicles.

All were here amazed how nice it was.

The senior enlisted soldiers and the facility CWO all wanted my truck. Was even jokingly offered two M998's for it.
They said they couldn't stand the new trucks. Maintenance hogs with all the wiring and other issues.
Not as reliable and less capable.

I mentioned that they were bringing in big bucks at auction and almost in stereo they all said "I don't know why!!"

I personally can't stand the new trucks.
Dont like the style and other things. But it's what the army gave us to drive after the M series.

I know now a lot of guys love'em
I don't

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks