• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV vs 5 TON

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Or you are driving along with the windshields open and you get pegged by a big ole bumble bee and you think you got shot. Or bug guts all over your shirt

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

319cssb

Hi Everyone I'm thinking of buying my first 5 Ton or LMTV I'm leaning to the LMTV because I think it a little smaller and living 20 miles north of Manhattan NY I may not have a zoning issue Which is better quality and obtaining parts Thanks again Mike
.You will have a zoning issue with either of them.

sandcobra164

Both are fine trucks and I still work on the LMTV's. I don't like the LMTV electrical system very much and replacing diesel injectors due to the Army's low lubricity JP-8 gets old as well as HEUI pumps. When you change an injector on a C7 you have to update the ECM with it's "profile" before the computer will recognize and trigger it. When you change an injector on a NHC-250 you ensure that the lash is set correctly and it works just fine. Alot of times in the field we don't have computers, internet access, power, etc.

Anvilface

The only real experience I have with combining both trucks is when I was still in the CORPS and some of us deployed to Nicaragua after Hurricane Mitch (1998). We were attached to an Army Engineer Battalion. They came equipped with LMTVs...we were sporting M923s, and even some 800 series fivers...as the ship was unloaded we saw a good number of those brand new LMTVs break. They had transmission issues, electrical issues, air issues.

Meanwhile, all of our old, beat up, raggedy 5ts were trucking on down the road. Blowing bad smoke, squirting oil, and growling....but still rolling. Sure, we had to slave one once in a while, but they kept on keeping on...

That was also the deployment that I got yelled at for putting an LVS starter in a HEMMET....UMM...it was the same NSN (dingaling maintenance officer who couldn't read a TM)...

They might have worked out some issues with the LMTVs, but the 5ts have a good track record for a loooonnng period of time.

sandcobra164

Off subject with you but if your unit received 5 tons off a ship in the Marine Corps, ya'll got the best of the best. The trucks may have been old but guess what? I work alongside the people that provide those assets and we think of the young Marine in the field depending on that truck. We have banners that say "What you do is Important, Everyday a Marines Life depends on it". I'm glad the Old Timers provided your unit good trucks, I'm going to do my part to keep that tradition going.

Anvilface

I absolutely agree. We put them on the ship, and then off loaded when they arrived. 30 of them came off of deadline just 2 days prior to the deployment..lol

saddamsnightmare

April 18th, 2019.

Let us just say that the Green Goat railroad locomotives that have had Cat engines as their prime movers have not left a good taste among railroad mechanics as to either the price of parts or the ease of repair compared to the older GE and GM-EMD engines. Speaking for myself, it its a Cat built after 1970, I would want nothing to do with it as regards repair issues and prices. Just an opinion, though.:whistle:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks