• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV vs 5 TON

BradBMI

I have a few lmtvs like how solid the M939's are compared to the LMTV cat motor is great but too much civi parts there and not built as well. Example. A LMTV muffler rusted out where the exhaust end pipe meets the muffler. The hot exhaust blowing against the frame rail melted the air lines while driving and left me on the side of the road. I installed a shield there now but stuff like this dosent happen on a M939

Mercunimog404

Banned
Took my M925A2 to show some friends at a federal maintance Facility for army vehicles.

All were here amazed how nice it was.

The senior enlisted soldiers and the facility CWO all wanted my truck. Was even jokingly offered two M998's for it.
They said they couldn't stand the new trucks. Maintenance hogs with all the wiring and other issues.
Not as reliable and less capable.

I mentioned that they were bringing in big bucks at auction and almost in stereo they all said "I don't know why!!"

I personally can't stand the new trucks.
Dont like the style and other things. But it's what the army gave us to drive after the M series.

I know now a lot of guys love'em
I don't
I got spent years in a maintenance company. I'll disagree. Along with all the full time mechanics. They like the lmtvs over the 900 series. They are very reliable. I've put 1000s of miles convoying in them and yet have seen one break. Have seen 900 series trucks break down or fail to start though.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
LMTVs are geared for the tires on them. The m939 trucks are geared for duals. If you need pulling power the lmtv has significantly more than a m939 truck with singles on it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got spent years in a maintenance company. I'll disagree. Along with all the full time mechanics. They like the lmtvs over the 900 series. They are very reliable. I've put 1000s of miles convoying in them and yet have seen one break. Have seen 900 series trucks break down or fail to start though.
I do not dought you for a second
A lot of guys love them and have good luck with them

Just relaying what was said and my opinion of them.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the best of both worlds is the US Marine's 7 ton
The Navy uses it also so I've read

Now that thing is a beast!

Greasepatchworker

I'm from Canada as well and wondering about getting them across the border and insuring them and do you need a class 3 drivers for them. There is a guy here in BC that has 6x6's but he wants huge money for old A1 units that have the old naturally asspirated 250 Cummins. Was also thinkijng about the M1078 if I need a class 3 for the M923 or M1083

snowtrac nome

as a retired army mechanic I have driven and worked on both the 5 ton is crude simple and reliable. I chose the lmtv because it drives nicer and it has 1 less axle to maintain, I didn't need a second axle, and the cab seals up staying dry and snow free. the choice is yours and what suits you the best. if you get an lmtv with an electronic motor you may find your self seeing cat or the Allison shop to plug in. As for parts I don't know what the other guys are talking about, I maintain a fleet of class 7 trucks, both cat and cummins engines. the parts are expensive for both and there is very little after market support for cummins stuff now days, they are not like the old 855 series engines.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Honest opinion from me. I bought my 5 ton as a pure toy. I wanted big crude and simple. I wanted the 855. It does what I want it to do. I don't haul or tow. It gets looks and my kids love it and has a cool factor I wanted.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A LMTV muffler rusted out where the exhaust end pipe meets the muffler. The hot exhaust blowing against the frame rail melted the air lines while driving and left me on the side of the road. I installed a shield there now but stuff like this doesn't happen on a M939
Old post but....

That's EXACTLY what happened on my M934.. LOL.. So, it happens to both.. :D

Chris H

as a retired army mechanic I have driven and worked on both the 5 ton is crude simple and reliable. I chose the lmtv because it drives nicer and it has 1 less axle to maintain, I didn't need a second axle, and the cab seals up staying dry and snow free. the choice is yours and what suits you the best. if you get an lmtv with an electronic motor you may find your self seeing cat or the Allison shop to plug in. As for parts I don't know what the other guys are talking about, I maintain a fleet of class 7 trucks, both cat and cummins engines. the parts are expensive for both and there is very little after market support for cummins stuff now days, they are not like the old 855 series engines.
Are you saying that a M939 won't keep the rain/snow out? Im completely new at this and am interested in both although I'm leaning toward a bobbed 939 because I'm used to and like Cummins.

Jericho

No, he s simply stating a fact, the 900 series cabs are just like the m 35 cabs , noisy over bumps , little insulation, ill fitting seams and roof to door top clearance compared to the LMTV , which is more like a modern off the assembly line truck , good seals o the doors , roof ect, I have a 931A2 LIKE it LOTS , but he is right !

Chris H

No, he s simply stating a fact, the 900 series cabs are just like the m 35 cabs , noisy over bumps , little insulation, ill fitting seams and roof to door top clearance compared to the LMTV , which is more like a modern off the assembly line truck , good seals o the doors , roof ect, I have a 931A2 LIKE it LOTS , but he is right !
Thanks Jericho. Is this something that can be remedied?

74M35A2

People are quick to get excited about yellow Cat stuff. If they were good, your local mechanic would not have to have the tools to work on them.

Jericho

Thanks Jericho. Is this something that can be remedied?
Within reason, it is what it is, ensure your door seals are serviceable , seal the gaps , I use black silicone RTV. The 900 is quieter than my M 109 by far, Heater works good, pwr steering, SUPER brakes, ABS , Cits , when you have it working . I like it, I have been in LMTVs , they are nice, TOP END is much lower than the 931A2 , I just shift into top gear at 50/55 and it jumps to 65 plus real easy , Lmtvs are thought to be slower, Engine HUM , not really in to the cat 3116, but an engine is an engine, maintained it should last until your done with it, I like CATS but a lot of their 4 cylinder stuff isn't even cat anymore

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks