• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote brake reservoir

Welder1

I am think of fabricating a remote reservoir for M35A2 brake system and probably mounting it in the cab. I also would have it so I could pressurize it and use for a power bleeder. I am looking for input and any issues with this idea. I own a fab shop so building one is no issue just not sure how much pressure would be required I was think 10-15 psi. Let me know your thoughts.

Eddie Cannon

steelandcanvas

You may be trying to reinvent the wheel here, a few vendors already make a kit to keep an eye on your fluid with a remote reservoir. When I install mine, I'll put in a 2 way valve to do just what you suggested...attach your power bleeder. You might not be real competitive in price if you'll be fabbing them in metal, these are injection molded plastic. Just my 2cents.

Hainebd

One thought on power bleeders in general. A few years (decades) ago in Auto Shop, we used a Snap On presure bleeder. It was nice. Held a gallon of fluid on the bottom of the tank. A diaphragm separated the air from the brake fluid. The reason, keep moisture out of the fluid. Air contains water, humidity. When air is compressed, the water is not. Even with a pharmaceutical air dryer, you still have moisture. Brake fluid absorbes water easily. Water and steel brake line is not good. Also the water will accumulate in the wheel cylinders. This is just my thoughts. I have done more brakes then I care to admit. I always have used the two person method.
The remote resovor is the best mod I have done. I put mine on fire wall so I can drop the side and check. It is easy and thus it is checked.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thought on power bleeders in general. A few years (decades) ago in Auto Shop, we used a Snap On presure bleeder. It was nice. Held a gallon of fluid on the bottom of the tank. A diaphragm separated the air from the brake fluid. The reason, keep moisture out of the fluid. Air contains water, humidity. When air is compressed, the water is not. Even with a pharmaceutical air dryer, you still have moisture. Brake fluid absorbes water easily. Water and steel brake line is not good. Also the water will accumulate in the wheel cylinders. This is just my thoughts. I have done more brakes then I care to admit. I always have used the two person method.
The remote resovor is the best mod I have done. I put mine on fire wall so I can drop the side and check. It is easy and thus it is checked.
Military spec DOT 5 brake fluid won't absorb moisture .

tco3129

I made a small tank with PVC pipe and fittings. Strapped it in the cab corner and painted it OD green. I can stand on the running board, unscrew the cap, and check fluid level. the vent cap I made can have an air tank with about 10psi in it to pressure bleed the system. Cost me about 15 bucks to make and has worked well for about 4 yrs. BTW. Learned about it on this site so do a little search and get a lot of good info. Good brakes are a wonderful thing.

DeltaTodd

can I install a remote brake reservoir on my M35A2, it has air assist, or will it feed shared breather and ruin the air assist? top of master has single breather that goes to a 'T' on the frame where it picks a breather for the assist.

DeltaTodd

so the assist needs to be on its own breather or it will fill with brake fluid if it remains connected as it was originally and I attach a 'T' to the top of the master?

Rmtaunton

It wouldn't be good for it , but yes seperate the breather of the air pack and tie remote resovior to master cylinder cap

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Deuce brake reservoir trivia question..................
I finally found this thing, years ago I put it in a machinist box.

Does everybody know what this is and what it was designed to do?
IMG_9202.jpgIMG_9201.jpgIMG_9203.jpgIMG_9204.jpgIMG_9205.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks