• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce brakes locking up.

dslucas

I live way out in the country. Right now, my chevy S-10 is a no go...being buried in my yard in snow, and the county doesn't like to plow my road reliable, so the only vehicle I have to get back and forth to work is my deuce. I am having a problem with the brakes locking up...it seems to be mostly the front. Truck builds air just fine...brake pedal really hard to push down, brakes will not realease. Anyone have any ideas? I am at work right now and don't have access to the TMs.

Thanks,

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your air-pack needs to be rebuilt.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a test, you can remove the plug on the back of the air can and see if air pressure builds with your finger over the hole. It should not, with the truck aired up and sitting still(no brake pedal applied).

In an emergency, you can bleed off a little air with the left rear gladhand opened slightly. I did this once to get home.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a possibility.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Real good suggestions here.
Is there any way to get it "inside" for a few hours?
That should alleviate any "frozen" stuff.
Or pressure bleed the brakes, just the front, if nothing comes out then for sure it is frozen.

dslucas

Not related, Porkysplace. Governor was froze up on the compressor for that issue. Water is a possibility. I can't get it inside becuase all of the wheels are locked up. It's supposed to get above freezing on Saturday. If it thaws and drives...I'll rebuild the airpack at home....if not...I'll have to do it here at work.

Thanks guys....I appreciate the help.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not related, Porkysplace. Governor was froze up on the compressor for that issue. Water is a possibility. I can't get it inside becuase all of the wheels are locked up. It's supposed to get above freezing on Saturday. If it thaws and drives...I'll rebuild the airpack at home....if not...I'll have to do it here at work.

Thanks guys....I appreciate the help.
Well when you don't post a finish to a thread nobody but you knows.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it move with no air pressure built up?

dslucas

Yeah.....no difference air or no. Pedal is still hard, and truck will not move. I really need to have the parts on hand for an air pack rebuild anyways...so if it is frozen I'm not going to consider the money as wasted.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Open a bleeder and you should have no brake drag.

That should be your next move.

Also, I would look into the master cylinder with a flashlight. You should be able to see 2 tiny holes and actually see fluid move when you press then release the brake pedal.

And water at the bottom or debris may be an issue.

dslucas

Absolutely agreed. Can't argue that i'm guilty. Sometimes il have a bit of a short attention span. This site has been a big wealth of knowledge for me and I will try to be better at giving it back.

UPFINN

If your air lines have ice you can take off the line from the compressor and pour a little isopropyl alcohol in it. Re attach it then run the truck for awhile. I have not had any problems with air lines or tanks freezing doing this. Also, try opening the drain valves on the air tanks. If they don't release air then they are frozen. When they thaw and open it should mean any ice in the air pac has melted. Most moisture collects in the tanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks