• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In Tank Fuel pump replacement

pfrederi

I am working on a friends M35A2. She was hard to start and I though it was a fuel filter issue. Replaced the filters and she would fill the primary but not the secondary. Tried to do a pressure test at the tank but the pipe plug in the test port was frozen. Finally rigged up a pressure test and got a 1psi reading. Pulled the pump and found this.

pump.jpg

I have seardched here and found several references to using a $50 pump from ebay. Looking at it it doesn't have the steel wrapped wire and has instead what looks like to me a Douglas Connector like on my M37.

Question what is involved in modifying the wiring to work?? (Don't want to blow up my friends truck)

Second question is having the bottom fall off the pump a common issue??? I saw several posts that had this as an issue.

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I might have a bottom plate if you want. The power wire from the original pump goes on the replacement from Egay, if you go that route.

RAYZER

Had that happen!
Fished all the parts out of the bottom of the tank,put it back together and peened the housing so it wouldn't fall apart again.
That was 4 years ago,still working!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that is a common issue.

Reach in and get the parts out of the tank and put it back together.

Use screws or wire to keep it together for another 40 years.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Now you have some real options for repair.
Fix the pump you have and reinstall, (use the best hose) or put a new pump in there
for which We paid $1500, but you can get it for 50 bucks.

NSN:2910015069499
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Item Name:
PUMP,FUEL,ELECTRICAL
Query Type:PUBLIC
Date of query:2/19/2015 9:01:32 PM
[/FONT]

Identification
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]B[/SIZE]
[/FONT]

Management

Characteristics (Decoded)
MRCREQUIREMENT STATEMENTCLEAR TEXT REPLY
NAMEITEM NAMEPUMP,FUEL,ELECTRICAL
AFLWACTUATION METHODELECTRIC MOTOR
FEATSPECIAL FEATURES1000 MICRON INLET SCREEN; 1/2 IN. HOSE FITTING TUBE END; 2 MOTOR COOLING HOLES; FILTER BY-PASS VALVE; RUBBER CUSHION VIBRATION MOUNT; TANK MOUNTED

pfrederi

Since the owner is a young farmer on a budget I guess I will see what I can find in the bottom of teh tank. But since someone had"fixed" it with a steel plate and wire ties I am not sure teh missing parts are still down there. If I can't I will go the $50 route.
Thank you all

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Since the owner is a young farmer on a budget I guess I will see what I can find in the bottom of teh tank. But since someone had"fixed" it with a steel plate and wire ties I am not sure teh missing parts are still down there. If I can't I will go the $50 route.
Thank you all
Farmers fix stuff. Wide areas of knowledge. Read Chuck Yeager's autobiography.
In any case your pump runs so use safety wire instead of tye wraps.
It is incredible, the breadth of knowledge within this SS site. Stay with these people, you will have access to more information than one can handle, but it is searchable!

Rattlehead

Had that happen!
Fished all the parts out of the bottom of the tank,put it back together and peened the housing so it wouldn't fall apart again.
That was 4 years ago,still working!

What parts are in there? Old post I know, but I just had this happen. Could hear the pump running, and it was pulling approx. 2 amps, but barely piddling fuel out of the pressure tap/tee at the top of the tank. Is it only the bottom steel plate that falls out? Not sure how best to resecure it, as the plate is steel and the housing looks to be cast aluminum. Any other parts I should be fishing for? Of course it failed with nearly a full tank.

Attachments

RAYZER

Parts refered to are the stack of several thin plates that reside around the impeller, mine all fell out when the bottom plate fell off, it looks like yours are still in there, although there may be some design differences between some pump housings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was there not a thread where the OP just drilled and pinned the bottom plate to the housing? That's saying you can retreve all the inner plates from the tank.
I am still looking for the red top parker replacement pump with it's 10 psi.

Rattlehead

Ok, just the aluminum plates I am looking for. Per my existing stack, I am guessing there could be 2 that fell out in the tank. Time to put a garbage bag over my arm and go fishing, hopefully they are still in the center baffled area. I guess I will be making my own fuel pump gasket as well. Found one for sale for $28, and a couple of others across the pond.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you put a WTB ad in the SS and you have been really good someone in SS might sell you a new pump.
SS members bought them all and collected them up when they were 50 bucks and shipping.
I sold my last one for 95 and shipping.
parker pump s-l1600.jpg

pump fuel in tank patent.jpg

pump lift one each 1400pph at 27VDC.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks