• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 1993 model

ltsanders515

Need some help from y'all. I just bought a M923A2 from camp Butner NC. The truck doesn't have any fluids in it. My intentions are to add fluids to the truck and drive it back home . Its a 300 mile trip. Is there anything I should watch out for?

Last edited:

ltsanders515

The pumpkins supposly still have oil in them due to towing possibilities. Do you know how many batteries does it need? Also the specs on them?

R Racing

To answer your other question. It uses 4 large 12v batteries. I normally go to Walmart and get 4 of the 65 series. They are hooked up in both series and parellel. Another thing if the truck is a roller I'd bet the brakes are caged as well. Some GL lots won't let you work on trucks there (Richmond is that way) I had to get 2 towed off and worked on them at the tow companies lot.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has 4 batteries in it normally but you can do with 2 Group 31s just connect them up correctly. I like to use the NAPA Commercial with over 1,100CCA rating.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You better call the location where it is and ask is you can add fluids. Normally this is not allowed.

What leads you to believe it rill run and drive home?

You need to download the technical manuals and start reading.

At least, read the -10TM.

Have you ever driven one before?

There is no such model as an M923A, what is it.

ltsanders515

Y'all are correct on adding fluids on base. No way no how. Fort Bragg maybe but not this base. I'm gonna get the tow company to take it to Walmart parking lot. Lol. Get all my fluids and batteries. How about the brake situation. If they are caged what do I do to fix them??

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uncage them.

ltsanders515

I've driven heavy equipment all my life. I've never driven a M923A2 before. I'm assuming the it will run and drive once all the fluids are added. If not its gonna have to be towed home. I have read most of the tech manuals but ive got more to read. Y'all have helped so much. Keep more comments comin . I need all the help I can get.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which model truck do you have? Does it have CTIS, and if so are all the tires up now? Long term flats are known to blowout.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Updated your model in the title and I would NOT assume anything at all about the truck.

It could be perfect or it could have a rod hanging out the side of the block or it may be something in between. While it may sound like a good idea the Walmart locally won't let any trucks sit in their parking lot for any reason let alone work on the. (Only Walmart trucks and yes, it was the first time I had seen that either.)

If the brakes are caged just take the cage bolt out (and don't lose it).

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Find a reputable tow yard/mechanic to recover and go thru it add fluids make sure all is safe. You can then go pick it up from them. I believe there are some members in that area that have threads here.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck. Myself I might just pay a transport service to haul it back to you as it is only one state away. Broke down on the side of the highway will cost you much more than the transport service. Then you can take your time when it's home to go over things carefully and correctely.

Shark Bait

Assumption is the mother of all f¥£€ ups. Have it transported. You'll be happier in the long run. There are so many things that could go wrong. No reason to get anyone hurt. Excitement is unmeasurable, but an unknown heavy truck with drained fluids could be a variety of things. Just my 2 cents worth. I had all 3 of mine hauled home so I could check them out mechanically and safety. One was on 200 miles away.

FloridaAKM

The transport service seems like the way to go with series of problems you have found out so far. Working on the side of the highway, with traffic screaming by @ 60+mph sounds like a death wish. Working on it in the peace & safety of your driveway or back yard, is more than likely going to keep you in the game & happy vs hating MV's out the gate on your first recovery gone wrong. Most of us have done it @ least once, the rest, many multiples of times.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The transport service seems like the way to go with series of problems you have found out so far. Working on the side of the highway, with traffic screaming by @ 60+mph sounds like a death wish. Working on it in the peace & safety of your driveway or back yard, is more than likely going to keep you in the game & happy vs hating MV's out the gate on your first recovery gone wrong. Most of us have done it @ least once, the rest, many multiples of times.

Dec 26th, 2014

Broke M923A2 on four lanes of I75 rush hour goodness. Few things will pucker you up quicker.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Given that OP has zero experience with these particular trucks, and no means of towing it himself.

Presume that OP isn't enthusiastic about dropping a bunch of money to transport it. In that position here's how I'd do it:

1) rent an rv storage slot at the nearest storage place - costs $35-75 per month.

2) have the tow company tow it there for you.

3) now you have a month to work on it and learn wth you're doing before attempting to drive it 300 miles home. You're only out less than another hundred, and you'll still be recovering it yourself.

OP, the odds are only about 30% that fluids drained are the only major issue. It's too big of a project for a Walmart parking lot.

Odds are, that the fluids aren't even drained. I have yet to find one that "fluids drained" actually wasn't full of oil and even coolant.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks