• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 1993 model

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Given that OP has zero experience with these particular trucks, and no means of towing it himself.

Presume that OP isn't enthusiastic about dropping a bunch of money to transport it. In that position here's how I'd do it:

1) rent an rv storage slot at the nearest storage place - costs $35-75 per month.

2) have the tow company tow it there for you.

3) now you have a month to work on it and learn wth you're doing before attempting to drive it 300 miles home. You're only out less than another hundred, and you'll still be recovering it yourself.

OP, the odds are only about 30% that fluids drained are the only major issue. It's too big of a project for a Walmart parking lot.

Odds are, that the fluids aren't even drained. I have yet to find one that "fluids drained" actually wasn't full of oil and even coolant.
A few years back at Nellis AFB they were drilling holes in the axle housings of CUCV's to drain them . There is a thread or 2 with pictures . So I would never assume anything about a drained truck.

[h=1]GL contractors destroying cucv's[/h]
[h=1]Vehicle drained[/h]

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they did drain it, there is no guarantee that they put the plugs back in the fuel tank, crankcase and transmission. Another vote for having it shipped.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Given that OP has zero experience with these particular trucks, and no means of towing it himself.

Presume that OP isn't enthusiastic about dropping a bunch of money to transport it. In that position here's how I'd do it:

1) rent an rv storage slot at the nearest storage place - costs $35-75 per month

But you forgot to factor in all the trips to and from home to truck. The cost of the hotel and food and loss if income from being away from home. I have retreaved over thirty MV's and four Military cranes. It's was never so easey as to when I decided to Just call Pete and ask him to please pick up my problem.

If this truck was bought while watching a vidio of it running across the compound then I would not balk a second in doing a recovery myself.
Don't believe this is the case. Have someone else worrie about transport correctely.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hopefully yours won't be this way but my friend bought some a couple years ago where the fluids had been drained. They had drained them by punching holes in the pans and cutting the lower rad hose and for some reason pulled the air filters and removed the windshield washed bottles.

[h=1]"Always with the negative waves, Moriarty"[/h]

Last edited:

ltsanders515

Does anyone know somebody that would really help me get this truck home? This is a dream project of mine. My Father is a veteran of the US Army and this is a project that we are gonna work on togethe .

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What ever happened to that hotshot trucker Heavy? Wasn't he from down that way?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No argument, if they did in fact drain the fluids they most likely did so in the most destructive manner possible - punching holes and cutting things.

They're also notorious for forklifting trucks and tearing up all kinds of stuff in the process.

turnkey

Great truck to play with....Get a towing co. and have them do the dirty work at first....they get it right and you can follow up...As this is your first one of many more to come...Let the pros set you up first...It will really save you money on the long run...Best of luck on this one.

ltsanders515

I got in touch with the guy that did the inspection on the truck. He said that there were no holes drilled in the the truck. Fluids were drained from wht he can tell about this time last year. The truck also still has all the filters installed on it. He said that he did not check the diff oil due to his level of inspection. Also the brakes are caged on the truck but Im not so worried about that. I might possibly have a friend of a friend that can go get the truck for me. They Gov just puts so many time restraints on me to get it. Im gonna get it if I got to pull it out of there with my Ford F-150. Like I said this is a dream of mine to own one of these trucks one day and the day is here. Plus its an awesome project to work on with my Dad since he gaining on 70 years of age and a war veteran. I think hes just as excited as I am.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks