• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 M35 Gasser repair and build

Kaiser67M715

I think I know what your problem is. Due to your faulty wiring your loosing voltage to the coil. If you run a designated wire from the batteries just for the coil I think your engine dying problem will be solved. At least until you can fix your wiring harness.
Wow...2 years since last update here...anyways, wiring was/is not the issue, I've gone over every inch of the system it will still do it. Voltage is great, I think it may be the coil just getting way to hot, it is untouchable sometimes. I may try to go to a pertronix system, and make a dedicated 12 volt ignition system, something easily reversable when on the road though.

I did find a couple fuel leaks this spring, one was a failed fuel pump. The other was a minor leak for the needle valve float set-in was very minor and could have also been my issue all along, I almost missed it, the surface was damp, and when I wiped it with a towel and got it dry, it slowly started to get wet again.

And I found some much cheaper sneakers then all new tires, still a good amount of life left in most of them, may replace 2 or 3 because of tread damage and/or very minor weather cracking. $200 for 12 mounted tires. Could not go wrong.

And ordered 2 gallons of Strata Blue Gillespie paint, first project is to paint the rims of the new(to me) tires.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Kaiser67M715

Had to do exhaust gasket and welded a cracked tab on my intake.

I have a leaking airline from compressor, looks like an odd size-7/16" most likely. So off the find a way to patch and/or fix.

I took a quick video walkaround, I'm going to try uploading. I now longer have access to a reliable computer and so have to do a lot from my phone now.

My next steps are the airline, pull and inspect all brakes and bearings, oil change and change the tires (definitely have 1 if not 2 bad tubes, plus all are getting fairly dry rotted)

Kaiser67M715

Front brakes passed inspection, the tires always get a little oil on them, and because no oil was inside the drum or the wheel bearings (grease was extremely clean and looked like they were just done) I believe it's all from the knuckles, my drivers boot has always given me issues, first was dry rot on a one piece, I've since replaced it twice with zippered. It may need to be done again, there is some excess grease on the boot again, but no apparent tears or holes.

And started mounting the "new" tires, much smaller then the 11.00's I'm taking off.

Starting rear brake inspections, can only jack two wheels at a time, but the first one looks like the outer seal was letting oil in, it's still a thick grease, but it's definitely been stained by differential oil. And it's only the outer bearing, inner looked like it was just done, with very clean looking grease around it. That assembly did pass brake inspection, and with a little cleaning and new grease and a new outer seal, it also went back together.

Just taking a break, the other three will be pulled apart momentarily.

Kaiser67M715

4 of 6 brakes inspected, 6 of 10 wheels installed. Almost didn't find the outer nuts, apparently I didn't stick the thimbles with them when I replaced them with the single lug nuts when I first got the truck. But almost all good, missing just one right hand threaded outer.

I haven't torn into the right/passenger side of the rear axles yet, but I think I'm going to find all the outer bearings are going to show signs of oil penetration. I don't know if it's just because of the time (3-4 years) or just the way the seals work. All the bearings so far still have a thick grease in them, just the outer ones, and a little ways into the wheel bearing cavity shows signs of oil penetration. I do have cork seals with a little rtv in the keyways. Last year I was able to just remove the drums, this year the drums wouldn't budge, plus I felt it would be worth it to inspect wheel bearings anyways. I bet if I hadn't checked them, next year the grease might have been completely washed away.

I'm hoping to finish inspection and tire changes tonight so I can drive it to work tomorrow.

Kaiser67M715

Everything checked out good, the rear most passenger wheelbearings were almost completely washed out with oil, and it was showing signs of leaking past the inner seal, there was a slight greasy stain on the inner part of the drum, and some radiating streak of grease going away from the seal surface. That was the only really bad one, and the only one I replaced the inner seal and the outer seal, plus a full bearing clean, inspect and repack.

All tires are on, still can't find one outer lug for the passenger side, I'm thinking my dad may have a couple dozen squirreled away in the barn someplace, he always brings stuff home the shop is going to throw out-almost all the new big rig trucks use them, main difference is the inner thimble is typically longer to account for the alloy rims they all use now, almost no steel rims.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks