• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our NEWEST project: M1010 Ambulance

Another Ahab

Brave The Storm

Wellll........ THIS wasn't the way I wanted to start the weekend.

Soooooooo, started looking at the Red Cross Panel. At first excited because the outline is still there. This will make it easy for those of us who failed art class in elementary school, to tape and repaint, while keeping straight lines and porportions. Then I realized some *&$hole decided to use silicone to hold the red cross panel down on the roof!!!
Annnnnnnd the hits keep coming.

Turns out if we look closely at pict #3 of the last post?? Ohhhh that silicone sealant isn't just holding the panel in place... oh no no NO!!! THAT would be too easy. It's actually waterproofing the head of a pop rivet. They ran pop rivets down the panel on the passengers side. 12 times.
Restoration is not for the weak-of-heart

wave.jpg

Madmedic

Restoration is not for the weak-of-heart
Noooo, No it's not my friend. And this one has been fairly "easy" as far as a "MV" resto projects go.

But after talking to a buddy of mine, I realized it will be fairly easy to remove the rivets, back fill, and sand the holes in the roof. Not much I'll be able to do about the holes in the Red Cross Panel. But since most other 1010 owners I've talked to, don't even have one. I figure I'll still be ahead of the game.

Madmedic

And back to the roof Red Cross Panel:

Got the panel off easier than I thought. Fortunately, whoever did the pop riveting, did so by removing the pop rivets that hold that one section of track in place, and then riveted through the Red Cross panel, and track. So after drilling and Dremeling (Gotta love that Dremel Tool) got the track off and the panel off. Replacing the pop rivets will be no problem, and now I have another tool (pop rivet gun) I'll probably never use again.

Only took a pict of the rear of the panel now that it's off, since I've got picts of the front shown in other posts.

Roof 4.jpgRoof 5.jpg

Al Harvey

Awesome work Madmedic, I'm definitely keeping this thread close by for a reference. I just picked up a M1010 the other day. It is nasty looking, sat under a tree for the last 5-8 years, but it is restoreable. Can't wait to see more progress on yours!

Madmedic

Once again, thanks for the kind words. I am merely stumbling along in the footsteps of many others here on SS who have gone before me, with excellent threads to reference. I wouldn't have started most of our projects if I hadn't had SS to study and get an idea of where to start.

Got the AC unit cleaned up, and the cover put back on loosely. You'll notice the shiny screws in the picts. Whenever I remove parts, I will wherever possible replace the rusted screws, bolts etc with new. Once they're painted no one will know the difference any way. AC Unit is going to need the tender loving of a true tech. In addition to the guts, the plastic for the drainage and the foam on the pipes will need to be replaced. Will have the beacon etc mounted this afternoon.

IMG_0560.jpgAir Conditioner 4.jpgAir Conditioner 5.jpg

Madmedic

Beacon light: Got the beacon light and the VHF High Band Antenna Mounted. Will come back to the antenna when I get to comms.

The beacon is kinda tilted, but that's how the Military had it originally, so that's how I put it back. The beacon is amber (back to that in a minute) and is a ROTARY. Strobes were coming into service during the mid eighties, but were NOT common on vehicles. The most COMMONLY seen manufacturer of beacons for the military, was/is FEDERAL SIGNAL CORP. But they were NOT the ONLY ones. The original siren speaker in the engine compartment was also a Federal Signal.

NOT ALL MILIARY FIELD AMBULANCES HAD BEACON LIGHTS, in fact, most DID NOT. In military usage, field vehicles normally used beacon lights for convoy duties, or on wreckers. Almost always they are Yellow/Amber in color. MILITARY POLICE VEHICLES depending on branch of service, and intended use (On base only or ON/OFF Base) Could have AMBER, Blue, Red, or Red/Blue light set ups.

MILITARY FIELD AMBULANCES like the M1010, Humvee, etc, are not intended for use off of military reservations. Thus they do not have the same type of emergency lights as you see on civilian ambulances. Also, most states will require military ambulances that MIGHT be used off of post, to be inspected and certified by the State Health Department and possibly a local health department. This is the biggest reason why you do not normally see Military Field Ambulances in disaster areas, floods, hurricanes etc. (There ARE exceptions, but not many)

So, the fact that this ambulance had a siren, and a beacon light means it was probably done for deployment during Desert Storm, OR for use as an Auxillary Ambulance to supplement Civilian Type ambulances on a base.

Beacon 1.jpgBeacon 3.jpgBeacon 2.jpg

Last edited:

Madmedic

EXPLANATION OF LAST SENTENCE from yesterday's post:

Not ALL vehicles sent to Desert Shield/Storm got painted tan. Just like many that went to Iraq/Afghanistan.

I got out in 1989. Was re-activated for Desert Shield/Storm (guys reading this on active duty....READ VERY CAREFULLY YOUR PAPERWORK at discharge time.... ESPECIALLY the itty bitty fine print about "Inactive Reserve".... sigh). When I reported for in processing and the Army Realized they weren't sending a 5'11 275 lb Medic back to a Ranger Battalion (I was a wee bit chubby) they found something else for me to do. Working Nightingale Air Evac Medical flights from San Antonio to KKMC (King Khalid Military City, Saudi Arabia) and then either back to San Antone or Germany.

Many times we rode the ambulances to get the patients and begin our care before loading on the aircraft. Most times these were either M1010's, or Humvee Ambulances. They were equipped with sirens and beacon lights. When asked why, it was explained to us, that these units would often go to various locations and pick up patients and ground transport back to the treatment facilities. This meant they were using civilian roads. So, like a civilian ambulance in the U.S., these vehicles were equipped with sirens and some type of lights in order to deal with civilian traffic.

Another Ahab

I got out in 1989. Was re-activated for Desert Shield/Storm (guys reading this on active duty....READ VERY CAREFULLY YOUR PAPERWORK at discharge time.... ESPECIALLY the itty bitty fine print about "Inactive Reserve".... sigh).
Don't feel bad; you're not the first to feel the surprise:

fine print.jpg

Madmedic

Yeah........ I just wish I'd had a camera with me when I reported in at Ft Stewart. The expression on that 1st Sergeant's face would have made me a FORTUNE on America's funniest videos (or whatever) when he read my orders and then looked at me!!!

And let's face it folks, 2 years of Beer and Fast Food Binging with NO P.T. after getting out,,,,,,,, it'll do it to ANYBODY!!!

cucvrus

CUCVRUS, responded to PM, will take the set: Here are picts of the clips I need to hold the Red Cross Panels in place. I need 8.

View attachment 549454View attachment 549455
OK I have pictures of the clips I have on the M1010 bodies I have in my field. The Ghost wagon should be put back on a chassis and run just for the humor of it. That was the play house for my 2 sons when they were young. They are now 25 and 29. That has been there sitting since 1995. I used the chassis to make a plow truck. It had 1500 miles on it back then. Anyway I hope you find what you are looking for with the clips.023.jpg031.jpg030.jpg032.jpg029.jpg028.jpg027.jpg026.jpg025.jpg033.jpgHey I also have a NEW set of the M1010 rear doors that are unpainted never installed. I have had them for 20 years also. I bought them from Gordy at Mark body in Imlay City Michigan. PM me about these clips.

Another Ahab

Madmedic, great build here. Thank you for the thread.

Can't remember now:

- Are you planning to put this ambulance to work somehow?

Or is the restoration strictly a labor of love for its own sake?

Going to be a beauty when you finish!

cucvrus

I drilled the rivets out of every clip I had on the property. I have one body that has different clips on it. And also the heater door opens toward the front of the body on a hinge and had a clip to hold the door open. I think you will be able to salvage enough clips to get your project done. I found a few other things I did not realize I had.001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpgI wanted to share these pictures with you.

Madmedic

CUCVRUS.... wow..... yeah you got a lot. And once again, I can't thank you enough for the help with stuff you've given me.

AHAB: It's a combination of things. 1st and foremost it's a labor of love. Have had my eyes on this unit since it came into the hands of a rural ems I worked/work with in the late 1990's. (knew it would MINE!!! one day)

When straights (non-MV people) ask me why we're collecting all the military vehicles, 4 wheelers etc, I explain to them that in our minds (me and my partner's) MV's are our mid life crisis,,,,, They're cheaper than a Maserati and a 19yr old Stripper, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY they'll have better resale value.

Now having said that, we have leased vehicles before to movie sets etc, and once this restoration is finished, I'd have no problems leasing this one out for the same purpose, and hopefully off set some of it's original cost. However, I will NOT be interested in selling it.

Madmedic

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...DUVAC-Removal-Plan-quot-B-quot&highlight=plan
When you decide to talk about the DUVAC, read this thread. This solution is rock solid dependable. My M1010 was one oh the ones converted by chevyc60. It has never had an issue over the years.
DEATH OF BLUE BOX or DIE!!! BLUE BOX, DIE!!! DIE!!!!

After letting Mek A Nek play with it for 2 weeks, and he was "SURE" he'd gotten it fixed with replacement of diodes and prayers to the Mek A Nek Gods, told him it was time to kill the blue box and go with the "Plan B". Got the alternator from Amazon today, and blue box ripped out veddy veddy quick, yah sahib!!!

Blue Box 1.jpgBlue Box 2.jpgBlue Box 3 .jpg

Madmedic

Back at work on the "fiddly Bits".

Weatherstripping on the back doors was shot. They also needed a fresh coat of paint, on the inside. Mission accomplished. I included a picture of the weatherstripping package, to show what kind I used. It's got an adhesive strip on the back, so it's a very easy peel and stick job. Best of all, 2 packages will do each door, with a VERY small amount left over.

Also, thanks once again to CUCVRUS, got the clips from him today, that I need for replacements, that hold the Red Cross panels on the body of the ambulance. He's a life saver!!

Back Doors 2.jpgBack Doors 1.jpgBack Doors 3.jpgClips 3.jpg

dmetalmiki

Good to see your still hard at it, We are following your progress with great interest. I am running my F350 unit to a first show in april.

Madmedic

Good to see your still hard at it, We are following your progress with great interest. I am running my F350 unit to a first show in april.
Very Cool!!! You'll need to make sure you take plenty of pictures to show us!!!!!!

We're working on the M1010 almost everyday. Right now, we're waiting on parts, and some things we're having fabricated..... fiddly bits.

But we're also trying to finish up the Karcher TFK trailer (trailer, field kitchen. GERMAN Pain in Buttocks, 1 ea) and getting the M-Gator up and running for a close friend to use.

Another Ahab

Very Cool!!! You'll need to make sure you take plenty of pictures to show us!!!!!!

We're working on the M1010 almost everyday. Right now, we're waiting on parts, and some things we're having fabricated..... fiddly bits.

But we're also trying to finish up the Karcher TFK trailer (trailer, field kitchen. GERMAN Pain in Buttocks, 1 ea) and getting the M-Gator up and running for a close friend to use.
Now that there is devotion. Well done!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks