• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Florida DMV Trip

SirKen

Just thought I would relate my trip to the Florida DMV in regards to my 1990 BMY-HARSCO M923A2.

My trip consisted of transfer of Florida Title into my name, sales tax for the purchase, and moving an antique tag from a 1969 Fairlane onto my recently purchased M923A2. My M923A2 has never been registered and the Florida title I had was only a couple of days old; purchased from the gentleman who bought it from a depot in Indiana.

Completed HSMV Form #83045 Application for Registration of Street Rod, Custom Vehicle, Horseless Carriage or Antique (Permanent).

Completed HSMV Form #82042 VIN and Odometer Verification (only if transferring from another state).

Completed HSMV Form #82050 Bill of Sale (this was not needed but I had it ready).

Completed HSMV Form #83330 Florida Insurance Affidavit.

After paying sales tax and title transfer fees I had to send several of the forms directly to Tallahassee with an additional check so that the tag I already owned could physically be moved to the M923A2. This is the only time you will have to register this vehicle for as long as it is in your possession. No renewal fee every year and tag does not have to be displayed on the vehicle as long as the tag and registration is maintained within the vehicle. Vehicle can only be used for parades, float, or display. I plan on "displaying" my M923A2 all over town.

I will have to wait for the paper vehicle registration from Tallahassee (since I already have the license plate in my possession) before operating the M923A2 on the roadway. I had them add 1000 pounds onto the vehicle weight to compensate for the rare occasion that I have passengers in the bed of the truck to avoid any DOT complications. Still under the vehicle weight that requires a CDL.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tallahassee tends to add fees that they can't articulate. The fee schedule is very precise so watch what they do. The coding in the software doesn't work with MVs too well, that's why we have to deal with the clowns in Tallahassee. Also, maintain a copy of FSS 320.086 in the vehicle. Many times the Police have no idea of the statute dealing with the on demand tag.

FloridaAKM

Congrats on manuvering thru the maze of the DMV. I see how you fixed your weight problem, how about the airbrake requirement? My thoughts of jumping from the Deuce club to the 5 ton club is limited because of this.

SirKen

My M923A2 is a personal vehicle, not a commercial vehicle and therefore no CDL is required. Further, its weight is less than 26,000 lbs and is not used for any commercial purposes.

322.53 License required; exemptions.—(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), every person who drives a commercial motor vehicle in this state is required to possess a valid commercial driver license issued in accordance with the requirements of this chapter.

(2) The following persons are exempt from the requirement to obtain a commercial driver license.

(a) Drivers of authorized emergency vehicles.
(b) Military personnel driving vehicles operated for military purposes.
(c) Farmers transporting agricultural products, farm supplies, or farm machinery to or from their farms and within 150 miles of their farms, if the vehicle operated under this exemption is not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier.
(d) Drivers of recreational vehicles, as defined in s. 320.01.

(e) Drivers who operate straight trucks, as defined in s. 316.003, and who are transporting exclusively their own tangible personal property, which is not for sale.

316.003 Definition: (70) STRAIGHT TRUCK.—Any truck on which the cargo unit and the motive power unit are located on the same frame so as to form a single, rigid unit.

(f) Employees of a publicly owned transit system who are limited to moving vehicles for maintenance or parking purposes exclusively within the restricted-access confines of a transit system's property.

(3) Notwithstanding subsection (2), all drivers of for-hire commercial motor vehicles are required to possess a valid commercial driver license issued in accordance with the requirements of this chapter.
(4) A resident who is exempt from obtaining a commercial driver license pursuant to paragraph (2)(b), paragraph (2)(d), paragraph (2)(e), or paragraph (2)(f) may drive a commercial motor vehicle pursuant to the exemption granted in paragraph (2)(b), paragraph (2)(d), paragraph (2)(e), or paragraph (2)(f) if he or she possesses a valid Class E driver license or a military license.
(5) The department shall adopt rules and enter into necessary agreements with other jurisdictions to provide for the operation of commercial vehicles by nonresidents pursuant to the exemption granted in subsection (2).
History.—s. 4, ch. 89-282; s. 23, ch. 94-237; s. 86, ch. 94-306; s. 942, ch. 95-148; s. 27, ch. 96-413; s. 11, ch. 97-280; s. 35, ch. 97-300; s. 88, ch. 2005-164; s. 16, ch. 2012-128; s. 60, ch. 2012-181.

f800

I sent my check for $66.25 ($56.25 + $10 for over 10k pounds) for my M931A1. Tallahassee sent me my plate and a $10 check back in 2 weeks. It was previously registered with the state as a commercial vehicle, even though it's a personal vehicle. A fellow SS member enlightened me. Wording is a little confusing, but any original military vehicle is eligible, regardless of age.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They can transfer a permanent antique tag at the local office and it cost $12.35 for my M929 and I think the same for my M915A1 (don't have the registration here). It sounds like the they charged you the full amount for the permanent antique tag probably because the tag on your 1969 car was not a permanent tag.

The key is finding a DMV person that will make the effort to figure out how to do the transfer and they or their supervisor will probably be calling Tallahassee get direction on what to do.

+2 on keeping a copy 320.086 in the vehicle if you don't display the tag. I've had to show it to a LEO that was not familiar with the statute.

SirKen

Well, DHSMV called me to inform me that I owed them $1.35 and that my new tag would not be mailed out until they received payment.:D

Quick phone call and a credit card number and my tag has been shipped via USPS (I verified by running my VIN and seeing the tag info listed now).

I felt like I was watching "Better Off Dead" with John Cusak; "... where's my two dollars?"

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on manuvering thru the maze of the DMV. I see how you fixed your weight problem, how about the airbrake requirement? My thoughts of jumping from the Deuce club to the 5 ton club is limited because of this.
Yea I got your M925 w/w waiting for you.

aztec

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just sent in for my permanent tag for my 931a2 it was 67.45 plus 10.00 for over 10,000 lbs i wonder why the price diff i got price off the form hsmv83045 rev. 03/12

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As mentioned earlier, there are quite a few incidents where they add random fees with no explanation. The fee structure is very specific on the forms. The problem is their software. I refuse to pay additional fees when they can not show or exolain to me where they come from.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went round and round with my local tag office here for about a week trying to get an answer on tagging my truck. At some point last year, a "directive" was sent out to all county offices that has confused the snot out of DMV employees. It has to do with the Form 97 that accompanies the purchase of Humvees and designates them as for "Off Road Use." The first 3 or 4 phone conversations I had with them, they advised I would not be able to purchase a regular tag for my M925 telling me I could only purchase the FMV (Former Military Vehicle) tag which would restrict my use of my vehicle to parades, shows, etc. The local office even had me call headquarters in Tallahassee and some dude named "Kenny" told me the same thing. After researching and speaking with a friend in the FMVPA, it was obvious they didn't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground. I then forwarded a letter to our local tax collector in which the Florida Chapter of the MVPA asked for a formal response to this issue. After another day or two he showed up at my place of business and apologized for their ignorance and advised he would issue the unrestricted tag based on the weight of the vehicle as it appears on the title. Here is a link to the letter.

http://www.flmvpa.org/fldmv.pdf

Russ

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No. You should be able to tag it there. If they give you any crap refer them to the letter I linked to.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went round and round with my local tag office here for about a week trying to get an answer on tagging my truck. At some point last year, a "directive" was sent out to all county offices that has confused the snot out of DMV employees. It has to do with the Form 97 that accompanies the purchase of Humvees and designates them as for "Off Road Use." The first 3 or 4 phone conversations I had with them, they advised I would not be able to purchase a regular tag for my M925 telling me I could only purchase the FMV (Former Military Vehicle) tag which would restrict my use of my vehicle to parades, shows, etc. The local office even had me call headquarters in Tallahassee and some dude named "Kenny" told me the same thing. After researching and speaking with a friend in the FMVPA, it was obvious they didn't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground. I then forwarded a letter to our local tax collector in which the Florida Chapter of the MVPA asked for a formal response to this issue. After another day or two he showed up at my place of business and apologized for their ignorance and advised he would issue the unrestricted tag based on the weight of the vehicle as it appears on the title. Here is a link to the letter.

http://www.flmvpa.org/fldmv.pdf

Russ
Are you sure you talked to KENNY???

Sounds like you got PEGGY ! ! ! These ads always made me empathize.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8L2cI8brzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lzz8KER520

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShNVXBQPrz8

If you refer to the recent chatter on the TEXAS FORMER MILITARY VEHICLE LAWS Thread (see link below) you'll see I finally bypassed KENNY and PEGGY and had the distinct privilege of befriending the TxDMV's Top-Dog in the Titling Section. He is a very intelligent, understanding, an influential man.
If necessary, don't climb the ladder from the bottom. Start at the top - your FL DMV's OMBUDSMAN is a good one - and work your way down to "he whose job is a political appointment".

Crapgame

Has anybody been able to register/plate a M1078 LMTV or M1081 LMTV LVAD in Florida? Lady at Santa Rosa County DMV told me they weren't allowed to register military surplus vehicles anymore. The 320.086 states he owner of a motor vehicle for private use manufactured in a model year after 1945 and of the age of 30 years or more after the model year and operated on the streets and highways of this state may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(1)(d), (2)(a), or (3)(e), be issued a special license plate for such motor vehicle.

My M1081 LVAD is based on M1078 LMTV first contracted October 1991. My own LVAD was mfg 1994. Does this mean I cannot register it until 2024?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anybody been able to register/plate a M1078 LMTV or M1081 LMTV LVAD in Florida? Lady at Santa Rosa County DMV told me they weren't allowed to register military surplus vehicles anymore. The 320.086 states he owner of a motor vehicle for private use manufactured in a model year after 1945 and of the age of 30 years or more after the model year and operated on the streets and highways of this state may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(1)(d), (2)(a), or (3)(e), be issued a special license plate for such motor vehicle.

My M1081 LVAD is based on M1078 LMTV first contracted October 1991. My own LVAD was mfg 1994. Does this mean I cannot register it until 2024?
That's my read on it. Wait 6 years, or move (again)

Crapgame

Truck is currently on clean, road-use, Pennsylvania title. So looks like I cannot register the truck in FL? Or, cannot be registered as the discounted mil vehicle plates, only a straight-across, fully taxed POV?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks