• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Florida DMV Trip

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck is currently on clean, road-use, Pennsylvania title. So looks like I cannot register the truck in FL? Or, cannot be registered as the discounted mil vehicle plates, only a straight-across, fully taxed POV?
It's worth going from DMV office to DMV office until you get one that's cooperative. My experience has been that the single largest variable is who you get behind the counter. I have no specific experience with Florida.

Edit - after reading Porky's PDF, I'd advise you to avoid at all costs getting a branded title. That title will likely be refused registration by other states. Florida clearly thinks that all military vehicles came with the ORUO restrictions

Last edited:

Crapgame

I'm waiting on a scan of the PA title showing the make and model info. I would think it already having a title, it gets around the DA-97 Off Road Use Only issues. There are civilian version of the truck on the road as well as former Austrian mfg versions. The gal who issued my license today had never dealt with a .mil vehicle and had to ask her Super who was the one who said they (FL) no longer registered them, probably a miscommunication from the 320.086

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A clean title in one state does not guarantee a clean title in another state. The presence or absence of an offroad stamp on the paperwork isn't driving the restrictions: those states placing restrictions are restricting ALL of them. Those states allowing them are similarly allowing ALL of them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you read all of FSS 320.086? I'm betting that you didn't. Arm yourself with subsection 6 and return to the theatre of battle. I'll quote it here just for the readers edification.

(6) For purposes of this section, “former military vehicle” means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle’s size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country’s military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately

undysworld

Did you read all of FSS 320.086? I'm betting that you didn't. Arm yourself with subsection 6 and return to the theatre of battle. I'll quote it here just for the readers edification.

(6) For purposes of this section, “former military vehicle” means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle’s size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country’s military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately
Think this stuff doesn't flow downhill? The following is taken from the Wis. statute [341.269] passed in 2009 which restricted milvehs uses. I don't know from whence it floweth, but one state copied the other.

(1) In this section:
(a) “Historic military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer but excluding a tracked vehicle, that was manufactured for use in any country's military forces and is maintained to accurately represent its military design and markings, regardless of the vehicle's size or weight.

Anyone know when this FL statute was passed?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think this stuff doesn't flow downhill? The following is taken from the Wis. statute [341.269] passed in 2009 which restricted milvehs uses. I don't know from whence it floweth, but one state copied the other.

(1) In this section:
(a) “Historic military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer but excluding a tracked vehicle, that was manufactured for use in any country's military forces and is maintained to accurately represent its military design and markings, regardless of the vehicle's size or weight.

This is quite similar to the long-standing TEXAS TRANSPORTATION CODE:
594.502(i) In this section, “former military vehicle” means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle’s size, weight or year of manufacture, that:
(1) was manufactured for use in any country’s military forces; and
(2) is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.
(Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg. Ch. 1320, Sec. 6, eff. Sept. 1, 2003
And later Acts)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

(1) In this section:

Law took effect in FL in 2005.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is quite similar to the long-standing TEXAS TRANSPORTATION CODE:
594.502(i) In this section, “former military vehicle” means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle’s size, weight or year of manufacture, that:
(1) was manufactured for use in any country’s military forces; and
(2) is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.
(Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg. Ch. 1320, Sec. 6, eff. Sept. 1, 2003
And later Acts)

I have a M925A2 that is tagged and registered in Florida. It took about a week of hassling with them but I finally proved the ORVO designation did not apply to the 5 ton vehicles.

Crapgame

Recovery4x4, going forth armed with state statute "might" score me a display-only tag, if I could figure a way around the 30yr old part.

<Pissed off at GovPlanet Off-Road-Use-Only SF-97 Humvee buyers who abused the FL DMV system, goes in search of a titling agency so as to take advantage of another state's freedom>

Between the anti-gun **** the FLGOPINO passed last month and this, I knew I shouldn't have closed on this house, should have fallen back to Final Protective Line inside the Texas Border.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovery4x4, going forth armed with state statute "might" score me a display-only tag, if I could figure a way around the 30yr old part.

<Pissed off at GovPlanet Off-Road-Use-Only SF-97 Humvee buyers who abused the FL DMV system, goes in search of a titling agency so as to take advantage of another state's freedom>

Between the anti-gun **** the FLGOPINO passed last month and this, I knew I shouldn't have closed on this house, should have fallen back to Final Protective Line inside the Texas Border.
Section 6 which I posted above IS your way around the 30 year part. It clearly states it if you go back and read it. Let me forewarn you though. If your local office knows their stuff, they will tell you that you have to apply for that tag via mail through Tallahassee. The MVs are not coded correctly and FHSMV has to override the system. Those who have succeeded locally likely had the truck status changed to fire apparatus.

Chief B

After reading this thread, I have to say that for FL, a normal plate may be the way to go. My wife went in and registered it, the clerk registered it as a HMMVE Truck, but regardless she was out of there in ten minutes with plate in hand. This was bringing title from Alabama so it was never registered in FL before. I just had her get an Enduring Freedom plate so that it is still a military plate on it.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After reading this thread, I have to say that for FL, a normal plate may be the way to go. My wife went in and registered it, the clerk registered it as a HMMVE Truck, but regardless she was out of there in ten minutes with plate in hand. This was bringing title from Alabama so it was never registered in FL before. I just had her get an Enduring Freedom plate so that it is still a military plate on it.
I've had a m 92382 registered for 2 years suddenly code enforcement is giving me a hassle having it parked on my house property. only way that they say to get rid of this is to have an antique tag any answers to my situation

Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had a m 92382 registered for 2 years suddenly code enforcement is giving me a hassle having it parked on my house property. only way that they say to get rid of this is to have an antique tag any answers to my situation

Thank you

Since you seem to be receiving citations from the City of Jupiter Code Enforcement, it's best you approach this in one of two ways:
1. Ask exactly to WHICH SPECIFIC Municipal Ordinance they assert you are in violation.
OR
2. Start researching your City Ordinances on you own... They are available online.

A quick GOOGLE SEARCH produced this starting point:
https://www.jupiter.fl.us/239/Municipal-Code

Next, you will be led to his website:

A quick scan of THAT site led me to this one about PARKING on residential lots....
https://library.municode.com/fl/jup...SUDIRE_DIV12PAVEREVEBOBUTRTRREDI_S27-1291PEPA
(BUT, that may not be the one your Code Enforcement Officer is looking at.... DO NOT volunteer knowledge of this section if you ask them about it - EXPECT them to cite the Code of which they are accusing you of be violating.)

Now that I've "taught" you how to research things on your own, READ IT and UNDERSTAND IT. The ball is your court. Winning or losing is up to you and your preparedness.

Please let us know how this turns out.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Martin county code enforcement.
I'm again going to try on antique play through the state which have been denied one time prior but do have a regular tag which I did not before. that might come to fruition or moving it off property which is not acceptable in my opinion. They could set it could be covered with three sides by a screen I said I throw a screen tarp over it that was not acceptable to them or him
Since you seem to be receiving citations from the City of Jupiter Code Enforcement, it's best you approach this in one of two ways:
1. Ask exactly to WHICH SPECIFIC Municipal Ordinance they assert you are in violation.
OR
2. Start researching your City Ordinances on you own... They are available online.

A quick GOOGLE SEARCH produced this starting point:

Next, you will be led to his website:

A quick scan of THAT site led me to this one about PARKING on residential lots....
https://library.municode.com/fl/jup...SUDIRE_DIV12PAVEREVEBOBUTRTRREDI_S27-1291PEPA
(BUT, that may not be the one your Code Enforcement Officer is looking at.... DO NOT volunteer knowledge of this section if you ask them about it - EXPECT them to cite the Code of which they are accusing you of be violating.)

Now that I've "taught" you how to research things on your own, READ IT and UNDERSTAND IT. The ball is your court. Winning or losing is up to you and your preparedness.

Please let us know how this turns out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jupiter is in Palm Beach County. I'd not be too worried about Martin County Code Enforcement.

To get the antique tag, fill out 83045 and send it to Tallahassee. If you attempted at your local tag office, you were rightfully declined.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I sent the form to Tallahassee when I originally got the truck they did night it said they're not licensing any Humvee even though it was described as a 5 * 6 by 6 maybe this time it will go better because I do have an existing tag
Jupiter is in Palm Beach County. I'd not be too worried about Martin County Code Enforcement.

To get the antique tag, fill out 83045 and send it to Tallahassee. If you attempted at your local tag office, you were rightfully declined.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks