• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Combat Rim O-Ring Sizes

peashooter

I'm trying to help a guy out and find the correct size O-ring for his 20 bolt Hutchinson Aluminum MRAP rims. Anyone know? If you have info on Oring sizes for other wheels used on the deuce feel free to post up.

I have a drawing of the 24 Bolt Hutchinson Aluminum MRAP wheel and it calls out Part# 50115 which is NSN: 5331-01-565-9994 But I'm not sure which cross-section diameter that is of available 20" wheel o-rings.

Updated:
MRAP-HUTCHINSON ALUMINUM 20 BOLT: PART# 50116~ 18.5" X 3/16" O-RING

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not so sure about the accuracy of that list...
The O-Rings for regular HEMTT 2pc wheels at least are not Ø 3/16"! More like Ø 5/16". Maybe its a typo?

G.

ke5eua

My aluminum mrap wheels didn't have orings on them and they came off the caimains in Texas.

I know when I got the steel combat wheels I just went on eBay and ordered the thick orings for 20" combat wheels.

goldneagle

We tried the smaller diameter o-rings on one combat wheel. It was the same diameter as the one we removed because there was a leak. It leaked also! So my tire guy used one of his, which was the 5/16" diameter one. It worked great. It seems that you can get away with using the larger diameter o-rings and get good results.

peashooter

Thanks guys. Well we figured it out..... by calling the company. Probably what we should have done in the first place:)
Sounds like there is quite a variety of O-ring sizes for these wheels out there.

MRAP-HUTCHINSON ALUMINUM 20 BOLT: PART# 50116~ 18.5" X 3/16" O-RING

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, the 50116 is definitely the right o-ring for these Hutchinson rims, I'm doing a set for a customer right now and when I broke the rims down, one of the o-rings had the part # still readable.

Does anyone have a source for these? I know I can order a generic from McMaster but I don't know what thickness to order them in. The militarytrucks.com link above doesn't show these o-rings and when I called them, they were clueless.

20180915_194403.jpg20180915_174020.jpg20180915_193834.jpg20180915_193903.jpg20180915_194359.jpg20180913_102049.jpg20180913_102044.jpg20180906_153012.jpg20180906_152941.jpg20180906_152936.jpg

And yeah, the first one is leaking so it has to come apart (only done 2 so far).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ok, the 50116 is definitely the right o-ring for these Hutchinson rims, I'm doing a set for a customer right now and when I broke the rims down, one of the o-rings had the part # still readable.

Does anyone have a source for these? I know I can order a generic from McMaster but I don't know what thickness to order them in. The militarytrucks.com link above doesn't show these o-rings and when I called them, they were clueless.

View attachment 741640View attachment 741636View attachment 741637View attachment 741638View attachment 741639View attachment 741635View attachment 741634View attachment 741633View attachment 741632View attachment 741631

And yeah, the first one is leaking so it has to come apart (only done 2 so far).
When you put em together spray the oring on the outside with super 77 adhesive spray. It will keep it from leaking and moving even the slightest bit once the face of the outer wheel comes into contact with it.

It is a 5mm Cross section so around 13/64th diameter. I will run the information thru a few suppliers I use.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'm not so sure about the accuracy of that list...
The O-Rings for regular HEMTT 2pc wheels at least are not Ø 3/16"! More like Ø 5/16". Maybe its a typo?

G.
on HEMTT wheels you can use O-Ring OR220TG which is a 1/4" o ring that goes on the 5 ton combat wheels with 3/4" studs. Same studs the HEMTT wheel uses.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
When you put em together spray the oring on the outside with super 77 adhesive spray. It will keep it from leaking and moving even the slightest bit once the face of the outer wheel comes into contact with it.

It is a 5mm Cross section so around 13/64th diameter. I will run the information thru a few suppliers I use.
Did you ever have any luck with your suppliers? I bought a can of Super77 and still have two of them leaking.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Myself I just use some of the tire soap on the O ring and make sure the sealing edges of the outer ring is not damaged. I make sure nothing is in the O ring groove and looks good. Here I use compressed air to clean it out and inspect. Then I use the two nuts that came with the wheel that are not distorted. I place them across from one another and take the outside ring down slow and even till good and tight by hand. Then start with the distorted nuts across from each other and take them down slow and even till tight. Here I was using the one inch air impact. Keep going with the distorted nuts till the last two and remove the non distorted nuts and replace them with distorted. Have not had a problem so far with sealing.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.............. I bought a can of Super77 and still have two of them leaking.
I have worked on these exact wheels, too. (modified the air supply so that they could be used reversed, on a MB fire engine which originally had rear dual wheels)

... And of course had to reuse the original O-rings... Being that they are so slim and barely protrude from its grove on the main (inner)wheel part, the slightest imperfection of the O-ring itself - or any debris in the grove will cause them to leak. Very "unforgiving", so to speak...

My solution: Sikaflex 221(as usual). A tiny, even bead of it, covering the bottom of the groove; put the (old) O-ring in place; applied another thin bead where the O-ring makes contact with the outer rim; bolted all together and aired up. Leaks - no more...:wink:

BTW, that stuff works wonders. For example my first set of (homemade) 20×11 tubeless, bolt-together wheels; they don't have any O-rings at all. Just a bit of said sealant was all it needed to remain airtight, still today(!).

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks