• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch problems

spicergear

Did you unlock the drum brake ???
YBC Offroad- first time I read this I thought the same thing you did but R Racing means the actual DRUM & BAND BRAKE that is inside the housing. It's stupid band brake for a drum on the end of the pinion gear. There's a bolt head at the side of that housing you use to tighten or loosen that brake. (I have ALWAYS REMOVED MINE because I talked to a couple winch gear engineers...)(Do what you're comfortable with though...that's my disclaimer) I have had that brake tighten for no reason after using many times. Your reply, the handle you pulled out and turned 90* is the drum lock. The drive will overpower that easily and you'll hear a 'clink-clink-clink' sound as you're spooling if you had forgotten to set that out. If the drum brake is tight or seized, you'll play heck overpowering it and may pop your shear pin if it's a factory pin.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It"s been along time ago I worked on the State snow plow trucks and there pump had a Oring type of thing in the pump houseing that would blow if there was an over pressure. Do these pumps have that?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you ever get the winch working ?
When you come here looking for help it's nice to post what the problem was to help other people in the future.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks