• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new to me Gama Goat

Megadavel

I just returned home with 1971 M561 and it is in dier need of some lubrication. Do you have the info on where and what to lubricate? I have the the TM9-2320-242-10-1 manual and it does not show that. Thanks very much!
Dave

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just returned home with 1971 M561 and it is in dier need of some lubrication. Do you have the info on where and what to lubricate? I have the the TM9-2320-242-10-1 manual and it does not show that. Thanks very much!
Dave
Welcome to the Goat Madhouse.

Here's a link to the Lube Order. Most of the manuals are available at the top of this screen under "Technical Manuals." The -20 is not there but is available on line.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?118826-M561-LO-9-2320-242-12-Lubrication-Order

AMGeneral

Nothing much to report today,NC license and theft bureau officer came by to verify the serial # for the title,I did remove the FOPS the Forest service installed.

It made getting in the cab much easier,I did indentify the brake light switch is toast, it's a standard M series switch,so it should be an easy fix.

The yard is getting full again,maybe it's time to sell off all the 5 tons?

Also,anyone ever purchased anything from Riv Rad in AL?

I got a quote from them this week for parts

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Is that common in NC for the State to pay a personal call?
Yes,in NC any out of state,Antique,or first applied for (SF 97) title must have the VIN or serial # verified before a NC title will be issued in the current owners name.

Everything I have purchased that came with a SF 97(M52A2,M813A1,M211,Gama Goat) has required a inspector to verify the serial,I know them on a first name basis anymore.

Last edited:

m38inmaine

I have done a lot of business with RIVRAD, Rich is a great guy. I road tripped from Maine to his old shop in NY once to get a few M151 power packs. Back then he had an old potato "bunker" full of MV's, it was quite a sight to see.

AMGeneral

NOS Hardtop kit and NOS tailgate arrived from Red River parts today,parts from Riv-Rad arrived thursday evening.

It'll probably be a couple weeks before I get everything installed,lots of other things take priority.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOS Hardtop kit and NOS tailgate arrived from Red River parts today,parts from Riv-Rad arrived thursday evening.

It'll probably be a couple weeks before I get everything installed,lots of other things take priority.
I'd like to see that hardtop kit once you get it unpacked. I still don't know if I'll put a top on mine but nice to know that option is out there. I may just get one and leave it sitting in the box in the shop.

AMGeneral

Well,Instead of waiting,I unpacked and installed the NOS tailgate and NOS hardtop kit this afternoon.

Tailgate was pretty straightforward as far as installation,4 3/8 clevis pins w/cotter keys and a ratchet strap to get the rubber seals squeezed so the tailgate could be secured with the wedge bars.

The hardtop was another matter,the directions enclosed in the kit had long since disintergrated into powder,but after a through washing to remove the wrapping paper that had adhered to the steel and foam parts,I got it figured out.

PICTURES!!!!

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well pics of your Goat have escaped. I was doing a Google search for USMC Goat pics and it was on the first couple of rows. Did you post any pics on Facebook?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing much today,worked on the brake lights and brake light switch. tight quarters under the dash
Looks like you fit under there better than I did. I see they used some of my yellow paint on your shifters.

While you were down there did you check the steering fluid? I replaced mine with the JD Cornhead grease and it steers much better and no longer leaks.

KansasBobcat

Looks like you fit under there better than I did. I see they used some of my yellow paint on your shifters.

While you were down there did you check the steering fluid? I replaced mine with the JD Cornhead grease and it steers much better and no longer leaks.
They never let good yellow paint go to waste!

AMGeneral

I actually changed it a while back,I used regular 80W90 in both steering boxes.

I have figured out that working on a goat requires extreme flexability or long arms.

I have added almost 100 miles on it since I got it roadworthy,it isn't as difficult to drive at speed as i expected,it's no sports car,but it handles much better than another MV of that size.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks