• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new to me Gama Goat

AMGeneral

Lookin good. Should be easy to match the hunter green if you want to rattle can the whole rigg. Turn it into 3 color and it would match your forest surroundings better than 383.

Would you be interested in taking some up close pix of where you wind screen meets the hard top? My top has an air gap around the wind screen.

Now we just need to put all the goat herder's AOs into the Google compututor and find the point that makes everybody's trip the shortest and plan a good old goat gathering. That is, as soon as a few more goats are made mobile.

I think that would make a pretty neat parade.
Will do quarkz,

It does have a foam strip with a recess cut into it to fit to the windscreen top rail,as m38inmaine said.

I actually had to remove the slide rail for the soft top to get it to fit correctly.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanx,
So I assume that is screwed to the top? Mine doesn't have the side rails, up & down, either.

Time to find a parts top or new arctic top.

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Parts manual does not show any screws, it has a channel in the foam that sits on top of the WS frame. I bet a piece of 1/2" foam pipe insulation shaved to the proper height length wise would work.

AMGeneral

m38inmaine is right,it just rests on top of the windshield frame and the pressure of the hardtop keeps it in place,only the side frames bolt to the hardtop assmy.

It took a while to figure out with no directions!!

AMGeneral

Nothing much to report this week,just doing some final "nitpicky" stuff before the GA rally.

I am converting both the oil pressure and temperature gauges to mechanical with Murphy gauges vs the standard electrical M series gauges.

The oil press gauge had already been converted by the Forestry Svc,so that was just a matter of replacing the gauge head and signal line/tube.(the length is 9 feet 10 inches for future reference)

The temp gauge is a bit more in depth,but just basically follow the route of the and install the sensor bulb in place of the electrical sensor,you'll need a 12 foot capillary tube for this install.

Here are the 2 I used,

http://catalog.baileymotorequip.com/item/pressure-and-vacuum-gages/pressure-gages/item-1023

http://catalog.baileymotorequip.com/item/temperature-gages-1/temperature-gages/item-1062

Last edited:

AMGeneral

I finally had time to test drive the Goat with the new gauges and new tires installed,along with an S250 shelter in the bed.

WOW,talk about sucking the life out of a 3-53,who would have thought 1000 lbs would make that much of a difference?

I'm sure wind resistance had some part in it(nasty outside today),oh well.

But on a positive note,the gauges worked perfectly, oil press was 70 psi @ rated speed cold,45 psi @ idle,also cold.

After warm up,oil press stabilized at 60 psi @ rated speed,25 psi idle,all running Shell Rotella SAE 30 wt oil.

Engine temp hit 170 deg max.

all in all I am pleased with the gauge upgrade.

m38inmaine

Thanks for the report, just imagine if the shelter was full of commo gear. My thermostat is marked 170 deg. so sounds like your gage is working great.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really hope it wasn't due to the s250 shelter.
I haven't gotten my brakes sorted out to test your results. I really wanted to buzz around with the commo in the back.

Now I wonder what the floating situation would be like. :)

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Nothing much to report today,finished checking all fluid levels and switched the front steering gear box over to JD cornhead grease,it takes 1 1/3 tubes to fill it up.

Still gotta bleed the brakes after changing 5 old hoses last weekend and do the same conversion to the rear steering gear.

Almost there!!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally had time to test drive the Goat with the new gauges and new tires installed,along with an S250 shelter in the bed.

WOW,talk about sucking the life out of a 3-53,who would have thought 1000 lbs would make that much of a difference?

I'm sure wind resistance had some part in it(nasty outside today),oh well.

But on a positive note,the gauges worked perfectly, oil press was 70 psi @ rated speed cold,45 psi @ idle,also cold.

After warm up,oil press stabilized at 60 psi @ rated speed,25 psi idle,all running Shell Rotella SAE 30 wt oil.

Engine temp hit 170 deg max.

all in all I am pleased with the gauge upgrade.
Don't know much about Gama Goats. But is it possible to swap a 3-71 Detroit in place of the 3-53??

AMGeneral

Ok,Follow up report on the Goat after it's trip to the GA rally.

What little I got to drive it on the trails,it preformed flawlessly,I only had to use 6wd twice!

Adam and I did take it on a "road trip" to Greensboro GA on Sat morning, on this trip I noticed the Goat was pulling to the right,hard to the right!

I had not noticed the pull with the older tires,so I accounted this to the new tires,especially since I had road tested them to any length before loading.

After arrival home,I was unloading the S250 sunday afternoon,on one of the many trips by the rear of the Goat,I noticed the front wheels looked "off", After measuring I concluded that sometime in the past, the Goat had the front steering box replaced and that the output shaft for the rear steering box was 1 or 2 splines off!

So,next project is fix the rear steering shaft :roll:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear it wasn't the tires. I was under mine Sunday and noticed the left front is cracking on the inside wall. I'll swap it with one of the rears and run it some more but won't chance it on the front or with all the weight on the center axle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks