• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Neglected LDS-465-1 peace of mind check and freshen

DavidWymore

Hi all. My truck was abused and neglected as a civilian water truck on a farm for years, and then left to sit a few more. I want to go through the engine and make sure it's in good shape before I go any further with the rest of the project and am trying to decide how deep to go.

Planning on the standard fuel system cleaning, fluids and filters, water pump and radiator leaks, check thermostat, need to adjust valves.
Wondering about maybe pulling the intake (and what else?) to check for coolant corrosion as my oil cooler housing was corroded through.
Planning to remove and test injectors, inspect cylinders with bore scope.

Maybe pull the oil pan, maybe install better rod bolts.
Maybe even the heads, or maybe just a retorque?
Rebuild date of '72, would those be the "new" gaskets?

Head oil leak here maybe?

6A0558C2-EBFC-49E4-917B-3FFA0461DDA8_zpsdsxzr945.jpg

Anything anyone can think of to check or correct I'd appreciate.

Lastly, for the heartbreaker.

My "hot rod" LDS has been neutered by someone installing an LD injection pump. Eventually, I will be installing boost and pyro gauges and seeing what I can do to make the best of it. Turn the fuel up, maybe advance and governor springs...

Thanks all.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Truth be told, I'd just run it.

To get the intake off, you have to pull the exhaust. Its a real PITA.
Is your motor an LDS a1 or an LDS427? makes a difference.
If it runs ok I'd just re-torque everything and run it.

DavidWymore

gimpyrobb, that's kinda what I thought (I have been running it around the yard a bit, feels a little weak maybe) but whatever I can do easy enough to get some hope it's not gonna go poof on me would be nice.

Rayzer, thank you, good idea on the compression, I should have thought of that. I'll try to go educate myself on how to adapt my tester to it.

Was gonna adjust the valves today and run it with the cover off to check oil flow over them after.

LDS 465-1A per rebuild tag. Pretty sure it was an A1 with 427 originally. If you haven't seen it, I have the thread on it in the Deuce section. Air filter had 4# of dirt in it, etc....

Nother thread around here in the 5 ton section where I was trying to decipher what the Xs refer (rods, mains, etc.)to on my tag. Haven't heard back from the MV tag guy.

E71375BA-C394-464B-9F22-8C1E2CFC6AAE_zpsktdfqpgh.jpg

Thank you

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Found the compression test in the LDS 427 manual pages 143, 144 by hitting CTRL F and searching for tester, finding the tester part number, and searching for that number. Had fits trying to copy and paste out of the TM or screen shot. Here's the basics.

At operating temp :

C . (B) Connect com-
pression tester gage -10899180 and
coupling -10899184 to the adapter -
10899183 and tighten the connection
securely. (C) Crank engine several
(1)
(2)
seconds at 150 to 180 rpm using the
starter motor. Observe cylinder
compression reading on gage. Cylinder
compression should be from 500 to 550
psi at engine cranking speed. (D) De-
press pressure gage vent to release
pressure to reset gage to zero reading
after first test. Release gage vent and
for figures 148 and 149 (par. 83).
repeat test.

pg143

Note. Compression pressure readings
between cylinders Should not vary more
than 25 psi and pressure should not
fall below 475 psi.

DavidWymore

I think I saw yours somewhere while I was searching the forum for the procedure already, saved the pic, thanks. Your linky no worky though. :)

I think I will use one of my injector holders while I have them out, as I don't have an extra. Sure wish I had and extra blown up engine around to rob parts off of and check things. Probably shouldn't wish for that...

I need to start compiling info on LDS/LDT pump and engine differences...I think I might be scratching the surface. Has anyone already started collecting info?

Initial timing, when advance mechanism timing starts coming in, fuel rates etc...

DavidWymore

There's a lengthy thread about the differences between the LDT and LDS. Search "LDT LDS real differences".

I've been working on it. I'm about halfway through I think. I'm mostly trying to nail down specific differences in the pumps so that I can make the best of my pump without spending a grand or two on the correct pump for the LDS.

Thanks

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a CO2 extinguisher on hand and ready when firing her up. A few stories on SS go to show one in the right place would have saved the engine and one from kicking him/her self in the butt afterwards.

DavidWymore

Gotcha. She's been runnin a couple weeks. Adjusted the valves tonight, some were very loose, purrs now. might check out my threads in the deuce section, kind of an interesting truck IMO, but I'm biased.

EDIT-thread in my sig

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks