• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about French 404s

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That price is right:

- that was a ready-to-run machine; fully functional?
That was one that looked and drove as if they had pulled the driver out, and stuffed it straight into a container, after throwing a folder with all the maintenance books on the seat. When it came out of the container, we put in fresh fuel (drained for shipment) and fluids, started it (the batteries were still good!), and drove it onto a trailer. Once home, anything that MIGHT need replacing in the way of fuel/brake lines were done, though all looked to be in very good shape. Been driving the thing ever since, with standard maintenance here and there.

As far as Swiss Mogs were concerned, as L1A1 said, I never saw a scrap one for sale over there. Most of the Swiss vehicles were kept in warehouses or hangars when not in use, and the Swiss don't salt their roads in winter, so the trucks tended to be in very good shape with very little rust (which Mogs seem rather prone to), much better than most of the other European nations' vehicles.

My part of the hive mind tends to think that there are a lot of 404s out there, so a frame off of a common type would have to be a personal choice. For a rarity such as a SWB Frenchie? I think it well worth the effort.

Having taken a V100 from a rather basic hull to a roadworthy vehicle, it will be waaaay more work than you thought it would be at the start! Is it worth it? Only you can answer that. For me, to have my dream vehicle, and one of less than twenty in private hands, the answer is "absolutely!!".

Cheers

PS - to fit the Swiss Mog into a container, the front bed bow had to be cut off, as it is fixed and too tall (barely, darn it) to fit into a container. Rather than weld mine back on, I made angle iron brackets and drilled holes so I could bolt it on/take it back off, as desired. You can see the cut frame behind the cab in the attached photo.
Mine is the only Mog I have ever seen in that camo.

Attachments

Last edited:

L1A1

M813rc
You're right that Mog is rare. I've never seen a Swiss one that was sporting a camo paint scheme. Think I share your opinion where restoring a 404 is concerned. There are a lot of them out there so it would have to be a personal choice.

As for what it takes to do a full on reto, I've done to date, four complete frame off restorations of MVs including the current project (so I guess it's really 3.5 restos) a ferret Mk.1/2. Yeah I'm aware of what's involved in time, money & effort to complete a project. Really nice Vee, BTW.

Matt

L1A1

Actually, there is quite a difference with the real French 404 roadster :cool:

The full type looks like this

I have a pic (not digital) somewhere me as a much younger boy repairing one. If I find it I will post it.
Unless you're talking about a Unimog, I would have to ask why? This thread is about Unimog trucks not French Civilian Autos..

Matt

saddamsnightmare

July 18th, 2015.

The Swiss unimog has an inverted channel bolted to the top of the windshield frame to catch a similar unit riveted to the top. to remove the top just loosen the various cords and catches, and flip the top off the cab going forward. Then unbolt the two bolts, one at each end of the windshield frame and pull the cab bows straight up out of their sockets in the back cab corners.
If you wish to drop the windshield, be sure to use good penetrating oil on the nuts at the bottom of the windshield, unscrew nuts (or knobs) out enough to unlock frame (lubricate its hinges also). and carefully drop windshield until it comes to its resting position just clear of the hood. The French never had much of a reputation for maintenance, but almost any vehicle can be resurrected with time and money. Good Luck!:wink:

Robo McDuff up above is just stirring the pot so to speak, as any French 404 roadster would make a very good hood ornament on any German or American Military truck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks