• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Evil Dr. Porkchop's M-Gator Restoration

jacobsk

Any difference in the specifications of the military model over the similar commercial models?
The commercial off the shelf sister to the M-Gator is the John Deere TH-Diesel 6x4 of a comparable age. The original M-Gator being discussed in this thread is olive in color and had some additional reinforcements added to the frame to meet the requirements for the military sling load and tie down provisions which can be seen on the military front bumper and bolted to the rear of the main frame. The machine came standard with a dual 12v battery setup (unique vehicle harness), the pintle hitch, keyless ignition, steering wheel locking tether, rifle mount, fire extinguisher, electro hydraulic cargo box lift, military brush guard, and the most obvious being the steel drop side cargo box and oversized litter carrier front rack. The color is nothing unique as for several years John Deere offered several of the traditional series in Trail Green (Olive) so plastics for it should be available like anything else. Goodyear run-flat tires were standard on the original M-Gator early in production but were later made optional.

In 2008-2009 Deere brought improvements to the TH-Diesel 6x4 as well as to the M-Gator and it's designation was upgraded to the M-Gator A1. The improvements to the A1 model included additional reinforcements to the frame in support of the two post collapsible ROPS, the ROPS itself, an additional (2nd) radiator under the passenger seat for increased cooling capacity, seatbelts, and additional tie down points welded to the exterior of the cargo box sides and tailgate. These improvements coincided with the styling redesign of the plastics for the traditional series gators so the fenders, hood, instrument panel, and rear mud fenders changed. most notably the rear mud fenders became black in color versus the olive color they had been previously. The headlights also changed at this time.

In 2010 at the request of the military the color of the M-Gator A1 was changed to Desert Sand including the painted components, fenders, hood, instrument panel, and most notably the seats. The run flat tires were also changed to utilize tire-balls but they remained optional.

The difference between the oversized M-Gator/A1 front litter carrier and the commercially available front rack is not only its size to support a NATO stretcher, but it has supports running rearward over the fenders which tie into the frame in order to support the additional payload required. The cargo bed sides fox down and accommodate two more stretchers laying widthwise so the total number of stretchers on one machine can be up to three.

The tailgate on the cargo box should have a swing arm which rotates outward in order to support the tailgate in the horizontal position if desired or it can be left to hang downward in the unsupported position. The sides can then be folded downward and lock into the horizontal position requiring unlocking to lift back up. The tailgate does not lock in the up position with the sides folded down, it requires at least one side to be in the vertical orientation to latch upright.

Parts that you will find are not available commercially as service parts are the military cargo box, front rack, ROPS if equipped, run flat tires, keyless ignition, rifle rack, military brush guard, pintle hitch, tie down rings, and the front litter carrier. If you happen to have a tan M-Gator you will not be able to purchase any tan colored parts for service.

Everything else should be the same!

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I figured out what was wrong with the hour meter, it was hooked up backwards. After changing the wires around it only shows 475 hours! Of course, that doesn't mean anything since it could have been hooked up wrong for the last 10 years or so.:|

I got the tires tubes and 1 new front tire and installed all of them, they all hold air now! I also think I've got the wiring for the cargo box lift figured out, which had broken wires at the relays at the rear frame. I'll have to order new relay holders as they're smashed but the box should go up and down when you press the switch.

Attachments

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
That's going to be a nice little machine when your done !!!
I hope so! I think I'll have it "done" in the next month if everything goes well.

Yesterday I changed the injector return lines since they were very brittle and leaking and it started right up in 20-something degree weather.:) After driving around the front lawn a couple times I used it to move one of my m1102s out back, the pintle hook binds quite badly so it looks like I'll be changing it out for one off an m151.

I placed an order today for the rest of the parts I need right now except the litter rack and an air cleaner cap. The fenders and hood and some other parts showed up as well, hopefully I'll get some more sanding done on the bed and frame when it's above freezing here.

Attachments

Last edited:

nickd

I had the Gator at the USMC birthday bash at Cookies Tavern in Philly last November. Put it to work hauling kegs of beer. With the sides down we had 7 kegs of beer for the boys. Made that run 3 times( once every 45 minutes)

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Not much work has gotten done on the Gator as of late, whenever it's nice outside I've been working on stuff that actually needs to be done. I did get a chance to scuff and shoot the front with Trail Olive paint, it looks good enough for me.:grin:
Hopefully I'll get a chance to paint the rest and get this thing back together soon. It really would have been useful moving parts across the yard while loading and unloading for the Sussex show.

I did have to use it to push an m101a2 I bought at the show into the yard yesterday; there's not enough room to get through with a blazer right now. I did find an operator's book the other day too, it was in the last box of a lot of 600 TMs I bought:jumpin:.

Attachments

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Thanks Bert. The tool trailer is a 1978 box off an m116a1 that's now on an m116a3 chassis with the axle off an m116a2. My brother and I put it together less than a year ago and used it a couple times to bring parts to shows with the CUCV II.

Attachments

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a nice looking trailer. I've been watching for one for a while now with no luck. I would like to make one into a target hauler for trips to the range. I'm sick of the loading the truck before we go and then unloading it after a long day at the range.

Bert

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
They're good for that sort of thing. I've still haven't unloaded the stuff from the VT show from 9 months ago; I'll just wait until someone buys the trailer I think.:shrugs:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Progress on the Gator has been slow lately since it's done to the point where it's usable and not in the way anymore.
A couple weeks ago:
image.jpgimage.jpg
Yesterday:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Right now I'm in the process of changing out the steering rack since it had broken teeth on both sides.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Last week I wired in new relay blocks for the dump bed so that is working now.
image.jpg
It's actually pretty useful around the yard:
image.jpg
I also put the blackout lights back on the front, I've still got to straighten out the brackets for the back lights at some point.
image.jpgimage.jpg
It beats moving tow bars by hand!
image.jpgimage.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks