• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new to me Gama Goat

Rolledb4

Can anybody tell me what equipment the 792's may have that the 561's didn't? This one has the winch, fuel fired heater, insulated tarps, normal tarps and medical cross covered tarps as well as full black out lighting!

BillIdaho

There is an extra electrical box on the inside front of the carrier unit. There is also a fold-down step on the tailgate that flops down when you lower the tailgate, as I recall. There are a few other small things, but I 'm up after a 17 hour night-shift, and sleep knocketh on the inside of my eyelids.

BillIdaho

Oh yeah, something about re-routing the exhaust so that it dumps down (the left rear inside corner of the engine compartment), rather than above the wheel. Fumes were apparently making the patients being transported grumpy. I don't remember if there was an official depot level change made, or just individual units. (Now that I think about it, I believe I read about it in one of those "comic book" PM things.
Data tag is different. (M792 as opposed to M651)

There was something different on the dash, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was. Maybe it was installing the radio up in the passenger side dashboard (I know, the circuit-breakers had to be moved). I think the MX6707 was moved up to either the driver's side front fender or the passenger side rear fender.
Dag-nabit, I'm going to have to go dig up my TM's/books.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill, I think this is what you mentioned about the re-routing of the exhaust tail pipe?

http://www.m561.eu/usarmy/m561.nsf/dx/first-review.htm

Regards,
Richard
I have a friend who has a Goat with a shelter in the carrier and his was modified like this as well. I think I read the M792s may have been modified so the exhaust didn't get into the carrier. Either way, my '71 has the original exhaust in the factory location so not sure when this mod may have come down or if it was left to the unit level to handle.

m38inmaine

I recall two reasons for the exhaust pipe move, one to help prevent fumes from entering the carrier and to prevent swimming. I don't see it preventing the goat from swimming as the water line is well below the exhaust manifold. I think the fume issue is the most plausible. Mine has the modified lower outlet, it's just the outlet pipe that is different.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks