• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sealed distributor and plug wires

dodjh

I have a CJ-2A with the waterproof distributor and spark plug wires.

I have a M38A1 w/o the above modification.

How difficult would it be to take the CJ-2A set up and put it on the M38A1?

Thanks

dmetalmiki

If the breather piping is still present on the M38A1 You should be able to straight swap them over. Google the distributor types, seems like the parts are sold to fit iether mode. we can't post that popular site, but research shows them sold there as fitting the range of jeeps you have.

dodjh

If the breather piping is still present on the M38A1 You should be able to straight swap them over. Google the distributor types, seems like the parts are sold to fit iether mode. we can't post that popular site, but research shows them sold there as fitting the range of jeeps you have.

dmetalmiki, my M38A1 doesn't have any of the breather pipe on it nor does the CJ-2A. Your referring to the snorkel set up, right?

dodjh

I have a 48 Cj-2A, with the waterproof Distributor and a M38A1 w/o the same. Without a major ordeal can I swap the waterproof in the 48 over to the 53 M38A1?

Some of the spark plug wires are frayed but Distributor is fine. I'm operating with a 12V system on each Jeep. I know I will need a coil mounted higher up on the Jeep, maybe dash height.

Will the coil need a built in resistor?

cherlymo

If noone has answered your last question, just remove each system from each jeep and connect them the same way on the other jeep. Some of the 24 volt waterproof distributorw with the built in coil had a disc resistor under the coil. They probably have already bypassed this to make it 12 volt. We used to do this a lot to make the old M105 and M211 GMC deuce distributors useable in the Chevy 235 and 261 engines.

dodjh

If noone has answered your last question, just remove each system from each jeep and connect them the same way on the other jeep. Some of the 24 volt waterproof distributorw with the built in coil had a disc resistor under the coil. They probably have already bypassed this to make it 12 volt. We used to do this a lot to make the old M105 and M211 GMC deuce distributors useable in the Chevy 235 and 261 engines.
I have a restorer who says the waterproof distributor and spark plug wires alone will provide no benefit to prevent no cranks or starting when distributor and plug wires would be wet.

Is this true and am I on a rabbit trail?

Thanks

cherlymo

From my experience the distributdor and plug wires along with the plugs do make a huge difference. It surely stops the splashing up on the distributor and wires from drounding out. You sitll would have to prevent water from entering the carburetor in deep fording. Also there is a vent line on the distributor that I think connected to the air intake somewhere but I don't remember where.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks