• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP Caiman

b1pig

Hey, guys. Local sheriff's office obtained an MRAP. They've been having some problems with electrical gremlins. I've done what I thought was a thorough search, but I cant seem to come up with a "free" source for a TM (20-level?) on that vehicle. Just trying to help these guys out. They have a mechanic that went to the MRAP University... but according to one deputy, the guy wasnt exactly a 4.0gpa performer, either.

Took a look through the manuals here with no luck either. Anyone got some tips for me? I've come up empty handed so far.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try using the M1083 MTV manuals, that is what the Caiman is based on. The Caimans seem to be riddled with various problems right from the factory.

cbear

The Caimans most LEOs are receiving are Caiman hulls that have been pulled and upfitted to the Caiman Plus chassis. I think they weren't real attentive during the upfit. While the chassis is at zero miles, everything in the hull may have been around the world.

b1pig

i think what NDT has said is holding true. while the basic mechanical systems on the vehicle are solid, it seems like everything else goes wonky. i was mechanic in the '90s. this chassis is a whole new progression and i'm not really familiar with it. what they sounded like was a bad ground in the aux lighting system... when i suggested their mechanic break out a multimeter... they broke out laughing. wish i could at least hook em up with some wiring schematics. as far as they know, the chassis they have never saw deployment.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All levels of the TM's are restricted. I tried and could not find even the -10 to get air pressure and confirm run flats on 3 wheels I have. If you score a 10 or 20 please pm as I would be interested.

fpd2dc

I know this is an older post but my local PD has a BAE MRAP that has electrical problems. Has anyone found a solution and or a manual? This one seems to possibly be a charging system problem.

Thanks

mechanicjim

if its a charging problem have them look at the Alternator for a Name tag to see what model it has. if it is a Niehoff they have troubleshooting guides for this models on their website

ROADDEP412

We have a Caiman, i ran it one day and the voltage Guages (both 12v and 24v) started dancing all over the place, then poof, smoke from the invertor on the outside under the hood by the firewall. we have been trying to figure out the issue, but no luck so far. have a guy from our local National Guard armory coming to try and help tomorrow. Ill let yall know what i find out (IF ANYTHING)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed with Suprman, disconnect the inverter, charge the batteries, and verify that no vehicle electrical loads are causing the overload. I have had the inverter burn up on a similar vehicle, not a fun experience. More modern inverters are available.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our SD here also has a Caiman. Supposedly for SWAT, but mostly seen in parades. (In county of 50,000 people). Guess they couldn't resist the temptation of getting a large MV to replace the aging Bradley they had.

My NAPA guy says they are in there all the time looking for parts.

"Never confuse acquisition with maintenance!".

Good luck finding the problem..

Pointman

Oklahomadeputy

I will look through my manuals and see if there is any schematics that might help you. Our Caiman is in great shape and I have had no electrical issues with charging system. Had an A/C issue which I fixed, and then I solved the sticky brake issue.

OCSWAT

I will look through my manuals and see if there is any schematics that might help you. Our Caiman is in great shape and I have had no electrical issues with charging system. Had an A/C issue which I fixed, and then I solved the sticky brake issue.
I realize this is an old post but..... We now have a 2012 Caiman 6 x 6 with an A/C issue, Any info will help weed out the possible gremlins.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
unfortunately none of us have access to the Tm's or etms for these trucks as they are restricted. Most who posted have not been back in a while. I would recommend asking the question of the problem or exact info needed and see if someone might be able to help?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Compressor not engaging. Blower good in front, rear not blowing.
Hook your gauges to the hi and low side ports and see what you have for pressure.

If there is pressure in the system at the receiver dryer there is a switch for low pressure. This keeps the compressor off if there is no freon.

Check for power at that switch. If there is power and the switch is NOT letting power thru with the pressure in the ac system jump the switch and see if the compressor kicks on.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If compressor doesn't come on ensure that the power is making it to the compressor. If it has power to the compressor and there is freon then the compressor is dead

Blower diagnostics will be easier to isolate once the AC is fixed.

keaton123

DO YOU HAVE A WIRING DIAGRAM FOR THE AC SYSTEM ON THE CAIMAN ? WE ARE TRYING TO FIX ON FOR THE SHERIFF OFFICE. THEIR IS NO POWER GOING OUT TO ANYTHING IN AC SYSTEM. ALL THAT WORKS IS THE DASH BLOWER AND REAR LSS BLOWER.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks