• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fort Bragg 5 ton assistance?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gonna be picking up my first 5 ton in about a week.. I'll be the first to admit I have a LOT to learn..... and would like some assistance changing fluids, pointing things out, and going over it with me before I drive it away. I'm not too familiar with them but looking to learn. I bought it sooner than I thought, because of the price, and wasn't actually prepared to pick one up for another month or so but ... that's what life is about... Surprises!

Can provide all the material, beer, money, good stories, etc

Ideally looking for someone that's not too far from post, and has an area where I can get the stuff done. May possibly need a ride from the closest airport, which would definitely be compensated for.

I'm burying my head in TMs as we speak...

03/28 edit:

Meeting plan for those that wish to attend/help.

Wed, 1 April 2015
8am breakfast (My treat)
Waffle house
4520 Yadkin Rd (next to walmart/USAA)
Fayetteville, NC 28303

I figure a mini-meet may be nice, before all the work begins. So for those that wish to help...

I will be buying breakfast, at the Waffle House just off post.. Skibo Rd and McPherson Church Road, next to USAA and Walmart.

We will arrive around 0800 and will be leaving around 0830, so please be there if you wanted to say hi or help out.

For those helping out, breakfast is on me. It's the least I could do to say thanks.

The address is below.

4520 Yadkin Rd # 1333[FONT=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Fayetteville, NC 28303[/FONT]

From there, we will go on post, and head to the DRMO site..... which is..

Pratt Street, Lot 3
Fort Bragg, NC 28310

From there, it will be played by ear, because I'm relying on others for transportation (it's GREATLY appreciated).

From what I can gather on the truck, it has about 150 miles on a rebuild, but that was in 2007.... so while it should be mechanically solid, it will need the fluids changed. Luckily wallyworld is 'right there'..

Huge 'THANK YOU!' to everyone that is gonna show up, even if you're not helping, it's still nice to meet like minded people and shows what an awesome group of people you (we) are...

Last edited:

ABN173

I got your ride from airport. Will assist in preparations. You can crash at my house while your here too. I have some experience with my deuce but not so much with a 5ton. Dan Frey's Son can help with any electrical. I have a few ideas on best place to work on vehicle but my house is a backup too. Hopefully some others will chime in because I'd like to meet some local collectors. They don't seem to be as tight as our PNW group, that I have seen since I moved here anyways.

-Dale

dmetalmiki

Wow, that certainly biting the bullet or taking the preverbial bull by the horns. Good luck with you drive home if the vehicle checks out and drives (and stops) ok. If you have no experience driving a truck it would be a good idea to get some tuition, or guidence from a member there before setting out. Dont forget to take pictures and post about the trip.

wsucougarx

My recommendation. Bring the following items:
-M939 operators manual
-belts (esp. One of those linking emergency belts should your water pump go)

-fuel filter
-wiper blades
-pillow to sit on
-blanket
-rain gear ( though you're "enclosed" you'll still get rained on
-tools
-battery terminal brush
-spare 24v headlight
-rag to wipe the inside of the window with
-snacks
-water
-flashlight
-cummins fuel shutoff solenoid
There's more that's what I have now.

ranger.41

congratulations! The truck you won didn't happen to be the tan
singled out M925 A2.That looks like a nice truck!
good luck with it.
If I can help I am 2 hours north of Ft Bragg. PM me

MtnSnow

The list is pretty good. Personally if your not over a couple of hundred miles wait to change your fluids till your home (of course check levels and if filthy change it before starting out) this way the exiting fluids can be thoroughly warmed up and circulated enough that you get a good draining with any contaminates held in suspension. As for the fuel shutoff solenoid why buy one if you don't need it and if it's not working you can pull it off or ziptie the plunger up so the motor can run. To shut it off you can use the "emergency shutoff" pull cable or reach under the hood and close the fuel valve manually.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tan m934 with 11k on it....

$3900..... Looks pretty solid... started and runs... no leaks apparent...

Some minor surface rust in spots..

www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Trucks-5-Ton-Cargo-1984-AM-General-M934-5-Ton-6x6-Van-Truck-North-Carolina/561825?h=5000%2Csm%7C1%2Ck%7Cm934%2Csort%7Cad+desc%2Cmf%7C1&rr=0.33333&hitprm=k%3Dm934,sm%3D1,sort%3Dad+desc&pnLink=yes

But yeah... diving in head first... have about 5k $ in reserve..so figured if it dies halfway there... I can still get it towed home...
been through EVOC and drove heavy apparatus (fire engine, brush, freightliner BLS units, etc)..
But... that was a while ago...and NOT .mil 5 tons.

Last edited:

PowerstrokeNC

This is going to be an adventure for you, pretty cool. I am in Greensboro, NC about 75 miles away and have a wrecker so if something goes sideways in the first part of your trip I could help. Also I have a shop and other goodies to do repairs if you started out and found some problems that needed dealing with. There are several other SS member around me too, so surely we can make it work if needed. Good Luck!

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL, I was bidding on that truck... you win!
So it was YOU that cost me an extra couple hundred...!

Hahaha..

I figured it was someone here...

:naner:

At least it's staying 'in the family'...

Question though... did you see something I didn't? Why didn't you bid higher? Anything that you saw other than chipped paint?

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just shipped out 16 winches going to Indiana, Illinois, Reno, LA and Alaska. Wish I would have known you were going that way. I could have paid you instead of the freight companies :)

PowerstrokeNC

So it was YOU that cost me an extra couple hundred...!

Hahaha..

I figured it was someone here...

:naner:

At least it's staying 'in the family'...

Question though... did you see something I didn't? Why didn't you bid higher? Anything that you saw other than chipped paint?
No reason just couldn't be on the computer today to monitor bids, so had to roll dice...

PowerstrokeNC

I have been looking at getting one for a little while now and anything under $4k is a pretty good deal, seen some as high as $7-$8k easy, they were A2 versions but still under 4 is a nice win.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been looking at getting one for a little while now and anything under $4k is a pretty good deal, seen some as high as $7-$8k easy, they were A2 versions but still under 4 is a nice win.
WA has restrictions on titling 'collectors vehicles'. Gotta be at least 30 yo....

Otherwise I'm stuck with 200 a yr reg plus $100/month+ commercial insurance for a rig that's not gonna be driven that much...

So... $100 one time and about 200 a yr for insurance vs 200 every year and 1200+ a yr insurance.

There are pluses and minuses with the cat/cummins.. and saw most of the A2s hit 6 and 7k......

lower initial cost means more money free to fix if need be, and more toys..

I so want a roof hatch..heh

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks