• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R.I.P.--ELKHUNTER--Walt Johnson

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is with a very heavy heart that I announce to these Forums that SS Member ELKHUNTER http://www.steelsoldiers.com/member.php?7600-elkhunter also known as Walter or Walt Johnson, has passed away.

His beloved wife, Phyllis posted this to their facebook page just about 12 hours ago:

"I would like to thank everyone for their prayers and love it is helping to accept a very sad time in our lives. I have lost the physical partner in my life but he is in my heart and is my Guardian Angel on my shoulder. I love and miss him so much until
we can be together again.
I love you Walter."

I have messaged her to ask about service details. I will pass them along when we know something.

You may recall that Walt was an active participant in the "How Cold Is It Where You Live?" thread in the Conversations Forum here. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?28798-How-Cold-is-it-Where-You-Live And he often wrote and shared photos of his beautiful LZ in Montana, and that it was on the trail that Lewis & Clark forged through the wilderness of the American frontier. Walt's background with the US Park Rangers and the Bureau of Land Management made him a great storyteller, passionate about the land upon which he dwelled. He marveled at God's creation all around him.

I was privileged to have met Walt and his wife Phyllis through our mutual interest in MVs via the internet and these forums, though I have never had the opportunity to meet in person. Still, I count him as a brother, as should we all.

In recent years, as Parkinsons Disease took its toll on Walt's body, it broke his heart to have to sell off his Deuce (no longer able to operate or maintain it). Without an MV, and with Parkinsons stealing his ability to type, Walt drifted from the SS forums, though Phyllis would sometimes help him get online and at least read about his old friends.

Though Walt's presence, and particularly with his passing, let us all remember that we pass this way but once. Any good that we can do along the way let us do it with great enthusiasm and recognize that it was God who created all things... for us!... Just as Walt saw it.

I know that Walt is now exploring the great richness of heaven and marveling still at what God the Creator has awaiting all of us. I somehow see him being one of heaven's park rangers.

I pray that each of you could have had a chance to have interacted with Walt Johnson. He was quite a guy. I will miss him greatly.

Let's pray...

Heavenly Father,
You have relieved Walt of his earthly pain and brought him into Your perfection. Thank you for fulfilling Your promise to this man who knew you in his heart. Be with his wife Phyllis and their children and families, and with all who knew and love him. Bring perfect comfort for the grieving and a peace over his passing that surpasses understanding. Assure us, Father, that one day when we too enter Your Heavenly Kingdom that we will meet Walt again, whole and complete without the ravages of disease or ill health. Thank You, Lord, for our salvation. In Jesus' name we pray.
AMEN.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I loved his posting style.

It was painful to "see" him deteriorate, but rewarding to have "known" him.

We were fortunate to have him here.

RIP

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

I guess the Lord needed another helper. May he be with his family in their time of need. He moves in mysterious ways but he has a plan.
I never had the privilege to meet or have a conversation with him but he sounds like a great man. RIP Walt.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rest in peace my brother. Thanks for all you have shared with us here. You are certainly in great company now.

saddamsnightmare

March 25th, 2015.

If my memory is right, the Big Sky Country will be a little smaller without Mr. Johnson and his deuce, but our prayers go out to his family in their time of sorrow. You would think that the Lord had enough deuce drivers already, but I guess he needed another one.

Requisiat in Pacem, Brother Johnson.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My guess is that Tigger met him at the gate and they are regaling each other with deuce and jeep war stories.
RIP Sir.
Yes, Richard. I can imagine that those of the SS who have signed on for that convoy into heaven are our advance party - scouting some trails, laying out the bivouac area, staking the latrine, and siting the best MKT pad. "When we all get to heaven, what a day of rejoicing that will be!!!...."

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thoughts go out to Walt's family at this time. May he rest in peace.

tbar123

I did not know this man, But with a name like ELKHUNTER, Sounds like I could've learned a lot from him. I do hope that his family rejoices for the life he lived and the love that he obviously shared for them and those SS members that knew him. Now he doesn't have to worry about fuel prices or even running out of fuel or breakdowns in his beloved deuce!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent the previous weeks with a friend as he prepared an amazing Ukrainian funeral for his mother. It made me realize, again, how important it is to tell people how amazing they are, any chance we get. Elkhunter AKA Walt often posted to the "How cold is it where you are" thread with beautiful pictures and stories and I'm sure I looked at every thread.

A little incident happened at the funeral I attended for my friend's Mom and I know Elkhunter would enjoy the story as much as I enjoyed his.

Our full out Orthodox Ukrainian funeral was held in a small town. My friend wasn't sure how many people would attend but as we arrived it was clear the entire town showed up. Sitting room was tight and an elderly gentleman, hunched over and walking with a cane, headed toward the last seat beside me. We were a little early for the proceedings and the gentleman and I spoke. He said he knew my friend's Mom well but thought he better attend anyway, because he might be the next one in line. He was a wonderful, funny guy and I knew I'd look for him after the funeral to hear more stories.

A few minutes into the 2 hour long event, the gentlemen leaned into me and I thought he wanted to whisper something, so I leaned back. At that moment a vibration and Tuba sound came from our bench. Apparently after his lean, I had pushed back on his shoulder just hard enough to tighten the cheeks against the bench and the angels of flatuelent let loose. With both of us leaning, we were an immediate hit with the ladies.

Elkhunter AKA Walt often started his posts with "Good Morning" and ended with wishes of wellness towards others.

"""Another pleasant day here also. Hope you others keep warm. Have a nice Wednesday everyone."""

He is a mentor in writing style and I'm sure going to miss his kindness around here. Thanks Walt, hope you have a great day.

:tigger::tigger:

REO 54

I had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out with Walt and Phyllis at the NW Chehalis rallies. He was always good with the wonderful stories,great hospitalities and a kind word. Good memories. Remember to make good ones because that all we get to take with us.

Cheers Walt. God bless you and Phyllis.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Services will be planned for May 8th

I just received this update via email form Phyllis....

I want to thank everyone of our friends and family for your support. Your support has helped to get me thru a very tough time. I don't know what I would have done if it wasn't for you all. I will with the help of my children be planning a memorial service to celebrate Walter on May 8th . time and place to be decided yet. Again THANK_YOU all Phyllis

Will post service information as it becomes available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks